PDA

View Full Version : Using Axis Scale? : placing generic prefab parts? -NOT lwcad

jeric_synergy
08-07-2016, 01:49 AM
I've got a "window unit" that I wish to scale perfectly to fit a hole-- see JPG:

I was hoping to use AXIS SCALE to do this, but I can't quite get a sequence that works in a way that makes sense. The examples in the manual seem off-point. You can use it as a measuring tape then force the scale, but I'm pretty sure it should be slicker than that, and the "semi-manual" approach where you enter manually the scale doesn't quite get everything close enough for a simple MERGE POINTS at the end.

Am I misunderstanding what AXIS SCALE is for, or just using it wrong? It seems it should make things FIT.

Don't bother mentioning LWCad.

++++
In the google, there's all sorts of references to AXIS TRANSLATE, and a couple of YTube videos demo'ing it, but AXIS SCALE seems to be the red-haired stepchild of the "Sequence Tools". :P

lertola2
08-07-2016, 02:56 PM
I have never used the axis scale tool. You can use the align tool to do what you want. Copy some points to a new layer that represent the bounds of the area the window should fit in and the align command will fit your window in place.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2016, 04:39 PM
I have never used the axis scale tool. You can use the align tool to do what you want. Copy some points to a new layer that represent the bounds of the area the window should fit in and the align command will fit your window in place.
Thanks for that!

I was just trying to make sure I wasn't missing a bet with the AXIS SCALE: it seems like it should work, and it sorta does but in a very clumsy way. It's suggestive that nobody's bothered to do any tutorials about it though-- either it's misunderstood by everyone, like IKB, or it's just not that useful. :\

The three AXIS {blank} tools came out at the same time, so I figured.... I dunno, something. BeeVee, got any suggestions here? I'm sorry, but the manual's examples just don't illuminate the tool that much.

Lewis
08-08-2016, 12:25 AM
Problem with AXIS scale is that it doesn't snap when scaling starts. It snaps to points/edges fine on picking axis but after you pick two points snapping panel disappears so when you start scaling it's not snapping anymore and by that it makes it lot less useful.

Just another potentially good feature left unfinished/half way ready, as usual :(.

jeric_synergy
08-08-2016, 10:29 AM
... lot less useful.

Just another potentially good feature left unfinished/half way ready, as usual :(.
Sadly, a sentiment I must concur with. Lots of LOW HANGING FRUIT, just a bit of polish to make things MUCH more useful.