PDA

View Full Version : Road and path modeling?

jeric_synergy
08-06-2016, 05:08 PM
So, imagine a hilly terrain. It's got roads and paths that cut across the hills, valleys, and slopes.

What are efficient methods of making these ....level cuts into uneven surfaces?

prometheus
08-06-2016, 05:31 PM
That is a tricky one and I have often wondered which method is the best, but I honestly do not know..but for what it is worth..

I think it is probably very tricky to work out directly in layout, you would have to do that with displacemenst and weight maps or image maps, possibly paint your road, or use a texture map then convert that to weight map, then use various displacement in layout, with the new falloff drag tool settings it may be possible to work something out as well.
world machine has tools to draw paths etc, but you would have to work your terrain from there, and vue also has special tools for that..but I reckon that is not what you want.

Possibly treat road and hills as seperate objects as well, results may be that you do not get a smooth blend though between road and hills.

Now if we go outside of lightwave...blender might be of use if you sculpt draw on a terrain, you could also use Illustrator paths (svga...not ai or eps) in blender, such curves comes in as editable (something for lightwave team to look at) and you simply can choose the path curve as full, half, front and back.
I would also imagin you could use grease pencil and draw directly on the terrain and extract a path from that.

Unfortunatly this doesnīt answer your question efficiently, just giving some ideas...others have to fill in.

Sensei
08-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Draw spline,
then extrude it with f.e. Extrude Spline from EasySpline http://www.easyspline.com
or Rail Extrude (but you will lose ability to adjust it further, quantity of polygons, quantity of points on spline etc)
then in top viewport, place ground in bg layer,
place splines/generated road, in fg layer,
and use Push tool http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
to project spline's points to land below (bg layer).
They will snap in one axis Y, XZ will remain the same.

If you want cut hole in the ground, extrude road layer slightly in +Y and -Y, and use some boolean tool.

prometheus
08-06-2016, 06:04 PM
I need to add...if and when sculpting in blender if that is feasable, setting the brush stroke to smooth stroke gives you a similar lazy mouse curve stroke as in zbrush, then itīs a matter of picking a good curve shape, you have some preset falloffs for that and also an editable curve to adjust sharpness of the brush.

I havenīt tested the paint curve, wich you can also use ..that gives you an option to lay out editable curves and move and use for the actual brush stroke or even pinch edges based on how that curve is flowing.

as for ligthwave, px_bezier allows you to draw paths and save out paths to reload later on if needed, then used in various ways for either extruding or use as background curve and conform to that background curve in various ways, and perhap use some tools sensei mentioned in combination.

Michael

jeric_synergy
08-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Sensei: "f.e."??

Sensei
08-06-2016, 06:08 PM
Sensei: "f.e."??

Do you mean what means "f.e." shortcut?
For example.
You're asking me this 2nd time..

prometheus
08-06-2016, 06:23 PM
Toolchef vdeformer may be a worth taking a look at too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqdlGpvJqEc
Oopss..edited...vdeformer is actually daniele federicos old stuff revamped.

prometheus
08-06-2016, 06:48 PM
In lightwave..

provided that you metaform divide your terrain decently enough, weight paint to draw the paths may be an effecient way, then move tool with weight falloff activated, then smooth out if necessary.
those weights could also be used in layout with displacements ofcourse in various ways to sharpen it or smoothen or invert the drawn weight map path.

and with ma/color/ texture point..you can apply any texture fractal or image..such as a drawn photoshop path or illustrator path once rasterized, apply it and then use move tools with the weight falloff.

Ztreem
08-06-2016, 06:58 PM
So, imagine a hilly terrain. It's got roads and paths that cut across the hills, valleys, and slopes.

What are efficient methods of making these ....level cuts into uneven surfaces?

Do you want the terrain and roads to be the same object or separate ones? In modeler or layout? Editable or not?

prometheus
08-06-2016, 07:41 PM
Do you want the terrain and roads to be the same object or separate ones? In modeler or layout? Editable or not?

sorry for another post, and Yes...that is ofcourse the initial question that needs to be answered, or a multitude of unnecessary answers may occour, I shouldnīt add more to this thread now for a while...I reckon Jeric may feel it is too much :)

jeric_synergy
08-06-2016, 08:48 PM
That's an interesting thought. In my original thinking it was just how to get a particular flattish plateau or terrace continuously around on rolling geometry (which is a really awkward way of saying "road-like").

Let's stick with that. One object, but with reasonable road-ish paths molded, somehow, into it. Ideally, one would be able to incorporate gentle banking into the path also, like a road.

prometheus
08-06-2016, 09:26 PM
It should be possible to create the road seperatly, then fuse it with booleans, using standard booleans is possible ..but tricky, both layers need to be triangulated then merged point then refined with metaform...so another option which may be much better is
to get hold of the metamesh tools from 3rd powers if you can afford it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctESAMUQYv8