PDA

View Full Version : Beer bottle top SubD problem...

beagle
12-12-2003, 09:30 AM
OK, this may be a really dumb question, but please bare with me!

I'm trying to model a beer bottle top, and I reckon the best method for doing this would be to use SubD's.

But how to I make a circular object out of only 4-sided polys?

In this image, you can see what I am getting at. The mesh is a mess at the moment where I have 'fudged it' quickly to show what I mean.

Hope that makes sense...

CMP 2003
12-12-2003, 11:28 AM
try modeling with a ball and start out with a disc, instead of starting out with a flat disc, if that made any sense,.....???

Matt
12-12-2003, 01:46 PM
that question could be extended further, what techniques do people use to overcome the 'more than 4 sided' end profile?

obvious is splitting it up, but are there any other methods?

Ezequiel
12-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Here's a quick tip on how to start circular or cylindrical shapes in a way that can be used with sub-d's
Hope that helps, I also post some pics of the top of my coke bottle in wireframe so you can see the mesh structure but first go to the link below, hope this helps, ;)

Ezequiel

http://www.suture.net/tutorials/modeling/img/109.gif

Ezequiel
12-14-2003, 06:28 PM
As a promise is a debt... ;)

Here are a couple of pics with wires of my top of coke bottle..
Hope you like them and use them to achieve your desired results

Ezequiel

Ezequiel
12-14-2003, 06:29 PM
and the other one from below... :)

beagle
12-15-2003, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

CMP, I ended up using the 'ball' method, although it's a bit long winded.

Ezequiel, thanks for the tip, I've never used 'Spikey' before! Although, this doesn't really work well when you need a 40 sided object.

So my project continued, but I soon ran into a new problem: I need to 'bend' the bottle top, so it looks like it's been prised off a bottle, but this produced a new problem in the centre of the object, as you can see in this image.
Any ideas on how I can overcome this?

Thanks again in advance!

wizlon
12-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Di's power tools has a fix poles function, that should fix or improve it.

Pheminyne
12-15-2003, 06:00 AM
i would try moving the right side of the cap out from center before you bend it so that you don't get any overlapping points, which is what it looks like is happening to me. i could be wrong, i'm a nOOb, but i've had a similar problem myself.

Ezequiel
12-15-2003, 06:05 AM
Beagle, try to follow along with the tutorial that I sent to you.
You don't have to apply spikey to your object. You don't even have to start with a disk with 40 sides. Look the image that I am sending to you. It is the same disk that you saw in the tutorial but "freezed"
Freezed is when you have some object with sub-d's applied on it and you then "freeze" the object to convert it to polygons.
The command is Ctrl+D in order to freeze objects.
First go to the options "o" panel in Modeler to check that Modeler is working with quads so then when you freeze your objects Modeler will attempt to convert your mesh to quads whenever it is posible.
Maybe you don't want to start over, but sometimes is better and faster. I started mine this way and then modeled one of the "sides" of the (I don't know the word in english, is it the "cap"?) and then I made a radial array and weld things,
Hope this helps:)
Ezequiel

beagle
12-15-2003, 08:17 AM
Ah! 'Freeze' - of course! Thanks, Ezequiel that appears to be the solution.

Apart from 1 thing: In the picture you can see that I have got slight problems in the 4 'corners'. Yet your blue circle doesn't do this as it has extra rows of poly's around the edge. I have ringed in red the areas I mean. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ezequiel
12-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Heeeyyy that's a lot better beagle;) It shure is :)

I don't know why are you getting that seam, but doesn't look so bad. Pay attention to how your mesh is conformed in similar places but don't have that seam in order to compare and fix that little seam. Maybe a little tweaking of your points...
I don't know...

Good luck beagle:cool: