PDA

View Full Version : THe Olympic games..itīs a small world

prometheus
08-05-2016, 08:36 PM
It Just struck me, I just saw martha Vieira da Silva..the fantastic brasilian soccer player, carrying the olympic flag at the initiation celebriations.
I recall around two years ago, she was standing in front of me in the line at the mall here in my little community (tyresö) in sweden, some years ago she was playing for our community team, she now has left and plays for another
city..still in sweden though.

Sometimes the world just shrinks like that.

Michael

spherical
08-06-2016, 01:29 AM
Michael, I've experienced quite a few instances like the one that you describe. Stepping back, they can be seen as remarkable, when they really are ordinary. Ordinary in the fact that these synchronicities happen to all of us. No matter our station in life, or who we may be to others, we find ourselves asking: "What just happened?" We remember these instances that have influenced us in many varied ways and, in one way or another, they shape and define our fleeting time in this existence. Alas, some never get the chance to encounter anything remotely like this. I count myself fortunate to have had many of them. Scary when I allow myself to think about them. I'm 0, 1 or 2 handshakes away from some really interesting people. Sobering....

prometheus
08-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Michael, I've experienced quite a few instances like the one that you describe. Stepping back, they can be seen as remarkable, when they really are ordinary. Ordinary in the fact that these synchronicities happen to all of us. No matter our station in life, or who we may be to others, we find ourselves asking: "What just happened?" We remember these instances that have influenced us in many varied ways and, in one way or another, they shape and define our fleeting time in this existence. Alas, some never get the chance to encounter anything remotely like this. I count myself fortunate to have had many of them. Scary when I allow myself to think about them. I'm 0, 1 or 2 handshakes away from some really interesting people. Sobering....

Yeah..I reckon so, with all the possibilities the world offer today with traveling, connections etc, working and living everywhere..it is most likely so that some world celebrety may cross your path, or you may become one yourself :D

I really should have knocked Marta in the head while I was standing behind here, she actually turned around and looked at me at that time..probably thinking...what a goofball :) ..but I should have stopped here there, because right now sweden is facing the brazilian team in the olympic soccer games, and the brazilian team are in the lead with 4-0..and Marta (obviously playing in the wrong team from swedish point of view) made two of them and the latest just recently.
Edit...5-0....they are destroying our swedish team.

MAUROCOR
08-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Yeah..I reckon so, with all the possibilities the world offer today with traveling, connections etc, working and living everywhere..it is most likely so that some world celebrety may cross your path, or you may become one yourself :D

I really should have knocked Marta in the head while I was standing behind here, she actually turned around and looked at me at that time..probably thinking...what a goofball :) ..but I should have stopped here there, because right now sweden is facing the brazilian team in the olympic soccer games, and the brazilian team are in the lead with 4-0..and Marta (obviously playing in the wrong team from swedish point of view) made two of them and the latest just recently.
Edit...5-0....they are destroying our swedish team.

5 X 1 - Yep, I am proud of Martha and the others girls. They are great! ;)

djwaterman
08-06-2016, 10:05 PM
I have a very good face recognition ability, so I spot "celebrities" all the time when they are dressed down and just going about their business, thing is I don't follow celebrities so this ability is completely wasted on me, and if we make eye contact I can immediately see the look in their eyes that say's they know they've been recognized so I always look away and leave them to it. I'd hate to be famous.

prometheus
08-07-2016, 02:44 AM

Yeah..fantastic players, I really hope they take the gold really, though America and Germany may be a runner up.

Even though Brazil played great, I thought and has been thinking that our swedish ladies team is simply lousy, but itīs been like that for ages..individuals that isnīt friends with the ball, seem like they got dough in their legs, and canīt time their running towards the ball...nor how to have a sense for and estimate a ball trajectory.

Our men team is more interesting though, I actually think they as a team can play better than our mens original A team with Zlatan, seven of these guys actually won the european u21 championship, so its a foundation..will see, we actually got a lot of guys who are quite good as yout players, but had to cancel for various reasons.

As I understand it, in brazil most kids may start with playing small balls in the sand, that helps giving them strength as well as deal with advanced kinematic movements and a sense for timing with a ball.
In sweden we donīt focus on that, itīs all about tactics mostly..which I have a hard time to understand why they never change that..it has been like that for ages.
Or maybe itīs in the genes...zlatan has fantastic sense of using his heals and doing extra ordinary kicks and passes, though he doesnīt posses the acceleration speed in a long run I think, and sometimes when not motivated he can be quite lousy... he had to decline playing for the olympics due to his transfer to manchester united.

BokadCastle
08-07-2016, 03:03 AM

vomit.

prometheus
08-13-2016, 11:05 AM

Hi there:D
letīs fight again, to live another day :)

thrilling games with shootout for both themes before, I am a bit suprised the U.S.A couldnīt beat us Swedes, they US team is definitly more skilled individually, but thereīs more to a game than just that, and considering we do not have the same huge amount of registred femal players or the same amount of women in our popultaion to choose from, we had to play a more defensive game and counter attack rather than posses the ball.

I think our next game facing brazil again, will end up with brazil again winning, but perhaps we can keep the numbers down this time, and every game is a new game, it has to be played ..and with passion and smart tactics.

Letīs enjoy the tuesday game:D though I think it will not hurt too much if sweden loose ( well the players may hurt,..at least initially if they loose..but they should have that winning mind) but if a given result of a loss happens, then we would probaly be able to swallow it, for brazil though...I reckon that it shouldnīt even be in the chart that brazil can loose against sweden, which introduces a " little pressure" ..if they handle that I think they will be okay.
At least I hope it to be more thrilling again, than outscoping from brazil.

Cheers.

Michael

prometheus
08-17-2016, 07:07 AM

Sorry about that outcome in the semifinal..to some degree, the brazil women team is simply the best skilled technical players in the world, no argue about that.
I really didnīt see this outcome coming, unfortunatly it may be sad to look at such defensive we put up, but thatīs the way it goes, it would be madness to try and play higher up with so much offensive skills brazil posses, we learned that from the first game.

Even if it must be extremly depressing and hurting, you should still be proud of the brazil team, and they deserved to go to the finals really, but..the swedish coach is so experienced and smart ..tacticly and this is the only way we could win, and she managed to get the team to pull in that direction, then sweden had absolutly nothing to loose in penalty shoot out, so I think they had none of the pressure and just enjoyed it with energy, then the goalie was playin well too.

I know martha looked pissed and talked to the goalie, but she wasnīt angry against her, she just said, "now you have to win the finals to the swedish goalie", just as she demanded it since sweden just beat brazil, so martha is really sweet and have good sportmanship, and the swedish girls was a bit sad in all of this, because they know martha and some of the others so well...and that it would have ment a lot to her to win a medal, and in their own country.

Letīt hope brazil can find energy back to the bronze game then, and I will cross my fingers and hoping for a goal in regulation time when sweden faces germany in the finals, without those nervous penalty shoot outs, it was two games in a row ..first against the us, then brazil, Im not sure my heart can take a final game with that again.

Oh..and we got hit bad too that night, in handball against norway, we were completely crushed by the magnificent Norwegian team.

Michael

Sensei
08-17-2016, 07:25 AM
itīs a small world

Smaller than you think: 6371000 m radius ^2 * 4*PI= 5.1*10^14 m2

Pope was 2 meters from me 18 days ago.. :)

MAUROCOR
08-17-2016, 08:01 AM
Sorry about that outcome in the semifinal..to some degree, the brazil women team is simply the best skilled technical players in the world, no argue about that.
I really didnīt see this outcome coming, unfortunatly it may be sad to look at such defensive we put up, but thatīs the way it goes, it would be madness to try and play higher up with so much offensive skills brazil posses, we learned that from the first game.

Even if it must be extremly depressing and hurting, you should still be proud of the brazil team, and they deserved to go to the finals really, but..the swedish coach is so experienced and smart ..tacticly and this is the only way we could win, and she managed to get the team to pull in that direction, then sweden had absolutly nothing to loose in penalty shoot out, so I think they had none of the pressure and just enjoyed it with energy, then the goalie was playin well too.

I know martha looked pissed and talked to the goalie, but she wasnīt angry against her, she just said, "now you have to win the finals to the swedish goalie", just as she demanded it since sweden just beat brazil, so martha is really sweet and have good sportmanship, and the swedish girls was a bit sad in all of this, because they know martha and some of the others so well...and that it would have ment a lot to her to win a medal, and in their own country.

Letīt hope brazil can find energy back to the bronze game then, and I will cross my fingers and hoping for a goal in regulation time when sweden faces germany in the finals, without those nervous penalty shoot outs, it was two games in a row ..first against the us, then brazil, Im not sure my heart can take a final game with that again.

Oh..and we got hit bad too that night, in handball against norway, we were completely crushed by the magnificent Norwegian team.

Michael

I couldnīt see the game, I am working a lot latelly but what can i say? It is a game. Should win the best!!! In this case was not Brazil! We have to live with that. Congrats to the female soccer team of Sweden and to you! ;)
But I am still proud of Marta and the other girls! With some medal or not! BTW, good luck against Germany!

prometheus
08-17-2016, 11:01 AM
Smaller than you think: 6371000 m radius ^2 * 4*PI= 5.1*10^14 m2

Pope was 2 meters from me 18 days ago.. :)

Not really, I knew that and use that when doing 3d planets :)

The pope, haha..well, there is some theory that every person is connected somehow to every other human being in 3 or 5 steps somehow, maybe by some strange meetings with a celebrety and that one has meet another celebrety.
I rather shake my hands with marta in the brazil team though ..the pope I could care less about really ..even though he is quite famous and sitīs on high horses, and may put a spell on me, maybe you got your blessings by being near him or something :)

art
08-17-2016, 11:59 AM
..well, there is some theory that every person is connected somehow to every other human being in 3 or 5 steps somehow
facebook could probably confirm or deny that :)

prometheus
08-17-2016, 12:01 PM
facebook could probably confirm or deny that :)

I don īt go there, so I wouldnīt know.

art
08-17-2016, 12:23 PM
You are not missing much I suppose, this forum is more fun anyway :)

Generally, I'm wondering how many people I'm connected to through Facebook. According to various sources about 1/7th of the world's population has a facebook account and the median number of connections is 200. So on average, a person is connected to every other user through approximately 4-5 levels. If every person in the whole world had a FB account, one would need on average 6-7 levels to be connected to anyone. This is only my rough estimate, loops in connection networks (same friends shared by people) could probably affect the numbers. Interesting...

prometheus
08-26-2016, 04:59 PM
Must add a congratulation to Germany for the victory in the womens olympic soccer finals, they are so tactical skilled that
not even our team could handle them right, though we managed the us and brazil.
We have always had a tough time facing Germany, so even this time, the Germans was playing the game smarter I think.
I thought...this is it, this should be the time when we win since we just had beaten the us and brazil, you donīt get many chances like this, but..bahh, it stinged, then again when looking in retrospective we didnīt really expect to go that far to silver medal anyway, so I guess the ladies was proud anyway, though they seemed quite sad initially..but a sportsman head needs to react like that if they wanīt to be competitive.

kyuzo
08-27-2016, 02:21 AM
You all know about Google's 'bacon number'?
Type that In with any celeb's nama and it gives you their degrees of separation....

ianr
08-27-2016, 05:20 AM
A liittle off topic but this Anim by the BBC I think you will like,
it sure impressed the hell out of my friends & Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKcEySuuUuE