PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the easiest way to link motion files to instances or particles randomly

mummyman
08-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Hey guys.. I still revert to old tricks when the "newer" ways of instancing from particles and flocking confuse me. Don't get me wrong, I use instancing all the time for certain things. But my solution for cloning many objects with offset animation on a grid of particles is this: The particles emit and stay and generate per frame. So they look like they randomly are appearing of the surface. Then I use the old FX linker to link to the single object that has a nice 60 frame animation. The animation of each starts when the particles are generated using the dropdown "Time Shift/start time"

Works like a charm... however I know you can do similar stuff with nodes / DP kit, flocking and motion files. But just wanted to know how others achieve similar results easily. I'm old school... so I stick with what I know works! But would love easier options as that workflow is tedious. Especially when you want to change things. I guess I could set something up and save out the node too.. but seems so scene specific that way. Thoughts?

BryPhi is awesome for this stuff and he's helped me alot.. I just can't retain it.. wish my brain could. Thanks!

Prince Charming
08-05-2016, 07:43 PM
Show me what you are trying to do exactly. I will hook you up with a good easy set up... It is bryphi. It should not be hard to do what you want...

mummyman
08-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Show me what you are trying to do exactly. I will hook you up with a good easy set up... It is bryphi. It should not be hard to do what you want...

Thanks.. .emailed you a quick mov. Wasn't there a tutorial with Lino's running alien across a surface using flocking and importing motions? I did a quick search this afternoon, but didn't find it.