PDA

View Full Version : Ubercam threads....where?

Markc
08-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Can anyone remember where the Ubercam threads where posted.
I have tried a few different sections, changing the view to 'from the beginning', but no joy.
Where these lost when the server went down.

spherical
08-05-2016, 12:05 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?147362-ANN-UberCam-2-0-360-videos-VR-headset-Oculus-Rift-support-and-more
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?149584-Ubercam-and-the-Future-of-VR

Both found with Google: site:forums.newtek.com ubercam

Seems that the database index needs re-doing. Also, the choices of forums to search in using forum search are now all messed up. Used to be that there was a hierarchy that mirrored the forum structure. Now, it's the kitchen sink.

erikals
08-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Both found with Google: site:forums.newtek.com ubercam

Seems that the database index needs re-doing.
yep, been like that for quite some years now. i don't mind, but it might be tricky for people who do not know...

spherical
08-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Actually, when the index is current, the forum search works well. Just have to know how to conduct a search in the way that it likes. The default doesn't return as expected, but the Single Content Type does.

Markc
08-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Thanks.
I don't get how it can be found in Google but it's not in the search results within the forum?
(Don't know much about web programming).

spherical
08-06-2016, 03:28 PM
Forum is run by a local database server. In order to facilitate efficient searches, an index of keywords is used. This index needs refreshing as, apparently, there are whole sections that are missing in it.

Google spiders any and all sites that it can gain access to and compiles the results of what its bots find. They'll find everything they can; sometimes surprisingly so. That is what Robots.txt is for, to deny a good bot access to that which you do not want indexed in Google's (and/or other) index.

Completely separate methods; and that's a good thing.

Ma3rk
08-07-2016, 01:56 AM
Forum is run by a local database server. In order to facilitate efficient searches, an index of keywords is used. This index needs refreshing as, apparently, there are whole sections that are missing in it.

Ah, that sort of explains a lot. How often does it get refreshed? Apparently not of ten enough.

Markc
08-07-2016, 03:34 AM
So is the page from the google search part of the rebuilt forum.
If I post something in the Ubercam thread (from google search), will it be visible then here.

Edit:I posted a reply in the UberCam thread, but can't find it here, if I search UberCam, VR, Liberty3D etc........nada!

spherical
08-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Ah, that sort of explains a lot. How often does it get refreshed? Apparently not of ten enough.

Just had a system-wide crash that lost a number of files and took a few days to recover from, so fallout from that.

spherical
08-07-2016, 01:31 PM
So is the page from the google search part of the rebuilt forum.

Google's links are unrelated to old or rebuilt forum that is in the original location.

If I post something in the Ubercam thread (from google search), will it be visible then here.

You are posting here. Just because a link shows in Google does not mean that it is a separate thing. Links point to content elsewhere, that's all.

Edit:I posted a reply in the UberCam thread, but can't find it here, if I search UberCam, VR, Liberty3D etc........nada!

Showed up here.

Markc
08-08-2016, 03:57 AM
Ah yes, if I manually navigate to the Forum/Lightwave User Community.......etc I can see the thread.
Just doesn't show if I search :thumbsup: