PDA

View Full Version : External USB3 Drive for AE Replay

Radio_TVPat1982
08-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Hey forum, time for me to go all in on football season. I need to purchase an external hard drive to hook up to my Mini so I can do 4 Angles of Replay on Advanced Edition.

Obvious question is how much memory will I need? 1 TB or maybe a half TB will get me by? I will be streaming and archiving online. I will offload the program feed to the local access TV station and after that I am done with the recording. It can be deleted.

Other than size, anything else I should look for?

kanep
08-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Hey forum, time for me to go all in on football season. I need to purchase an external hard drive to hook up to my Mini so I can do 4 Angles of Replay on Advanced Edition.

Obvious question is how much memory will I need? 1 TB or maybe a half TB will get me by? I will be streaming and archiving online. I will offload the program feed to the local access TV station and after that I am done with the recording. It can be deleted.

Other than size, anything else I should look for?

You also want a drive that is 7200RPM. I would also go larger, at least 1TB, probably look at more like a 2TB drive for this.

Radio_TVPat1982
08-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Wow that big? How should I divide up my recordings on the two drives?

4 Cameras, & 1 H.264 Program Output

BTW I also have an external that hooks up to an HDMI out as a backup.

Radio_TVPat1982
08-05-2016, 11:12 AM
I am looking on Monoprice and some do not mention the writing speed of give it in seconds like 5G per second.

JPulera
08-05-2016, 11:57 AM
I'd avoid any of the consumer-oriented "backup" drives. They may have a USB 3.0 interface, but are typically meant for archiving files and not for the rigors of recording multiple streams of HD video at a high bitrate for hours on end. You don't know what kind of drive is inside the housing!

Spend a few more bucks and get a drive engineered specifically for high-performance video needs, such as the Glyph Studio or G-Tech G-Drive units. These are professional-grade 7200rpm units made just for your purpose.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Radio_TVPat1982
08-05-2016, 12:03 PM
So, at 1TB this would be a good option?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009518-REG/g_technology_0g02874_1tb_7200_g_drive_mobile_usb3. html

JPulera
08-05-2016, 12:39 PM
You're looking at the mobile version, which uses the smaller 2.5" drive internally. Is also bus-powered, so while this and the small size are convenient, it is drawing power from TriCaster which as we know is already running pretty hot most of the time. In theory, should be adequate.

However, I would feel more comfortable using the larger version G-drive USB 2TB, which is a 3.5" drive with AC power, which does also have faster transfer rate and double capacity -

http://www.sharbor.com/g-drive-usb-2tb.html

If you want to support a fellow TriCaster user/forum member, Safe Harbor is a dealer for all of these hard drives.

The Glyph drives have the best warranty in the business including data recovery and advanced replacement options, and no external power supply to futz with. http://www.sharbor.com/studio-1tb.html

I do have an open-box 1TB I can discount further if interested, full warranty

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
www.sharbor.com

kanep
08-05-2016, 01:08 PM
I would agree with something like the G-Tech or Glyph drives. I would always recommend the drive that is rated for better performance. The other drive might work, but if it doesn't, its useless for your needs. Larger drives tend to be a bit faster as well, which is why I'm recommending a 2TB over a 1TB.

Radio_TVPat1982
08-08-2016, 06:50 AM
Jeff, I will probably go with your 2TB option. Looks like a solid product! I cant afford to go cheaper and not have the replay function work correctly. I basically upgraded to AE mostly because of the Replay option.

I am going to run only two channels of replay this week for a scrimmage game. I am assuming the hardware in the box can keep up with that just fine?

joseburgos
08-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Wow that big? How should I divide up my recordings on the two drives?

4 Cameras, & 1 H.264 Program Output

BTW I also have an external that hooks up to an HDMI out as a backup.

Just remember you can only do two records per drive. So internal can do two no problem. Then when you add the external you can do an additional two for a total of four. This mean if you do 4 cameras, then that is it. If you want to record the 4 cameras plus the actual program out, you will need to use an external recorder like NewTek ISOCorder (if you are running Ver2 of AE) or some traditional external recorder to record the 5th record. Replays on mounted hard drives and addition records on external

Take care,

Radio_TVPat1982
08-08-2016, 08:19 AM
I thought I could do four plus the H264 added in one of the latest releases?

JPulera
08-08-2016, 08:20 AM
I thought I could do four plus the H264 added in one of the latest releases?

Hi Pat,

Though I have not tried that scenario myself, that was also my understanding from what I'd read. If true, then the pro-grade external drive should be able to record two QuickTime streams plus the .mp4 which is a much lower bitrate, drive has plenty of headroom.

Thanks

Jeff

Radio_TVPat1982
08-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I think I had asked the question a month or so ago but that was before the forum crash. Maybe Sam or Kane can confirm again.

joseburgos
08-08-2016, 08:31 AM
Hi Pat,

Though I have not tried that scenario myself, that was also my understanding from what I'd read. If true, then the pro-grade external drive should be able to record two QuickTime streams plus the .mp4 which is a much lower bitrate, drive has plenty of headroom.

Thanks

Jeff

I stand corrected, you guys are right. It was added in version ..610 of AE V2 as well as an audio only MP3 :)

kanep
08-08-2016, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I think I had asked the question a month or so ago but that was before the forum crash. Maybe Sam or Kane can confirm again.

The latest versions of AE2 do give you 4 Quicktime (use for replay) recordings, 1 H.264 recording and 1 MP3 recording.

Even though the additional recording formats are much lower bitrate, I would still recommend trying to keep to the 2 channels per drive recording rules. You will have to see if running a H.264 on the internal or external works better or if you need put an additional USB3 drive on the system for that (also keep in mind that a single USB3 drive for recording, connected to the system is all that is supported.)

Test, test, test the setup. To be aware that recording 4 Quicktimes and 1 H.264 might be more than the system can handle depending on what else is going on. (But I think it will probably be okay).

Radio_TVPat1982
08-08-2016, 08:40 AM
I am going to test the 2 Quicktime (Replay) recordings & 1 H.264 Thursday.

I also have an external HDMI recorder that encodes to H.264. I can always use that as a backup as well. I do have a question about that though. When I tested it on the HDMI Out. It would not record audio. Is that correct? Do the 2 Outputs on the Mini send audio?

JPulera
08-08-2016, 12:31 PM
The front HDMI outputs (1 & 2) are "video" outputs that do provide audio, that audio source being dependent on how they are set up in Output Configuration. The rear HDMI outputs are "computer" outputs to feed screen or projectors, video only.

Thanks

Jeff

Radio_TVPat1982
08-08-2016, 01:07 PM
I must have configured them wrong. I thought I had them sending the program feed but maybe not. I'll check again. The encoding box includes a spot for external audio so I can always go that route if needed.

IUPtech
08-09-2016, 11:25 AM
The latest versions of AE2 do give you 4 Quicktime (use for replay) recordings, 1 H.264 recording and 1 MP3 recording.

Even though the additional recording formats are much lower bitrate, I would still recommend trying to keep to the 2 channels per drive recording rules. You will have to see if running a H.264 on the internal or external works better or if you need put an additional USB3 drive on the system for that (also keep in mind that a single USB3 drive for recording, connected to the system is all that is supported.)

Test, test, test the setup. To be aware that recording 4 Quicktimes and 1 H.264 might be more than the system can handle depending on what else is going on. (But I think it will probably be okay).

I would also like to have 4 camera ISO's for replay and use the H.264 for my Program record to an external 4 Tb G-Drive. I have an 860 with AE v2 installed in June, but don't know the build number. I've looked for anything related to H.264 output but I'm not finding it. How do I access this?

JPulera
08-09-2016, 11:50 AM
You probably need newer software, then the H.264 option with show up in Record Config

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

joseburgos
08-09-2016, 11:57 AM
TriCaster main menu, Help> About TriCaster
Note build number and then go to NewTek.com>Support>Downloads and Updates to download latest if yours is not.

Take care,