PDA

View Full Version : I must be freakin' crazy :-)

Spinland
08-04-2016, 05:23 AM
Just a general venting because reasons.

Took on a VFX job for a local indie film producer. Kind of a fun feature film project, he had enough of a budget to make the stuff he wanted worth my time, and I like the guy so I'm on board.

Well, since then the project attracted a reasonably well established producer, with Sundance and distribution chops, who is now Executive Producer of the project and it's going to Sundance next month riding on his coat tails. That's ramped up the deadline quite sharply. I'm in the credits as VFX supervisor but since there still isn't enough budget for me to hire help, I'm just doing without sleep and having to push back other projects (thankfully I maintain excellent relationships with said clients and they're understanding about this development) to get all the stuff in they need, and going over the work that much more anally because, well, now it might actually get some people seeing it and there's my name on the damned thing.

I've wanted an opportunity like this ever since I started branching into the VFX realm and now that things are looking interesting I'm about to blow a gasket from stress. :bangwall:

Okay, I'm seriously not complaining, not one iota. I love this shite and I'm having a blast even as I twitch from freak-out-edness. Like I said: just venting a wee bit because I can and this is a community I like being a part of and I know a lot of you get it.

Okay, back to the salt mines. It's almost 7:30 and I've been at the workstation since before 4. Got more bullet hits and blood spatters to add to this fight scene. :2guns:

Waves of light
08-04-2016, 06:38 AM
Chin up man. You're on the home straight! Nice one getting the gig, just gotta see it through now.

MichaelT
08-04-2016, 08:25 AM
Oh I know that feeling :) Just take it for what it is, and try not to let it crawl under your skin. Rest when you can, and above all... don't keep an eye on the clock.

Spinland
08-04-2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the good thoughts, guys! Yeah, gonna ride this horse while I have a saddle on it, and enjoy the trip for all I'm too old for this video game relsease date crunch mode shite. ;D

Taking a working lunch at my favorite brew pub for a couple of hours, never let things get so bad I can't squeeze out some down time. Life's too short to go down that rabbit hole.

roboman
08-04-2016, 09:16 AM
Looking forward it's aw dam, I'm only going to get 20 hours sleep in the next 6 weeks. Looking back it all seems like great accomplishments and fun :)

prometheus
08-04-2016, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the good thoughts, guys! Yeah, gonna ride this horse while I have a saddle on it, and enjoy the trip for all I'm too old for this video game relsease date crunch mode shite. ;D

Taking a working lunch at my favorite brew pub for a couple of hours, never let things get so bad I can't squeeze out some down time. Life's too short to go down that rabbit hole.

Saving time? you shouldnīt even be posting here then.:)
Avoid posting to these forums while working hard, it helps you save more time for work or sleep, itīs a technique commonly used, even by 3d developers:D
See you back when finished then :)

Snosrap
08-04-2016, 12:03 PM
What some people will do to get their name on the big screen. :) Good luck with the project.

Spinland
08-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Saving time? you shouldnīt even be posting here then.:)
Avoid posting to these forums while working hard, it helps you save more time for work or sleep, itīs a technique commonly used, even by 3d developers:D
See you back when finished then :)

Yes, Father. ;)

I work damned fast and I take multiple little brain breaks during my workflow to clear my head when there's a small respite, like waiting for a render and I don't absolutely have to squeeze in some edits in the mean time. Like now.

I have all the confidence in the world I will deliver on time, on target, as befits the mantra from my USAF combat aircrew days. Pucker factor is high, to be sure, but I got this. I also love sharing my thoughts with you guys and getting some back. This is the community that has kept me in the LW camp despite external pressures to the contrary. :I_Love_Ne

Spinland
08-04-2016, 12:19 PM
What some people will do to get their name on the big screen. :) Good luck with the project.

I know, right? My mom tried to tell me being an attention whore would never amount to anything useful. Boy, do I ever plan to show her! ;)

Thanks!

jeric_synergy
08-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Ahhh, good times. Too lazy now.

TM, it's the render times that are deadly, cuz at a certain point you gotta just twiddly your thumbs while you wait. Good time to sleep.

safetyman
08-05-2016, 05:05 AM
This is your TD: GET BACK TO WORK and quit wasting time posting on this forum!

fishhead
08-05-2016, 06:47 AM
Good Luck from me, too! :-)
been there, and also enjoyed the process a lot, even if I felt a good bit wasted afterwards almost every single time!
Hope it pays off for you and the producer really recognizes what you do!!! ;-)

Spinland
08-08-2016, 06:01 AM
Thanks again guys!

Okay, okay, I'm getting back to work! Put down that whip!

Farhad_azer
08-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Dear Spinland, TBH i really like your positive,friendly and enthusiast attitudes and wish you luck from the bottom of my heart.

I am not experienced enough but i will truly be happy to help. I am a university staff and university is closed these days and i am mainly free. I can also give up some hours of sleeping and help you if i can do anything important. I reallllyyyyy mean this.

Good Luck.

js33
08-08-2016, 01:29 PM
I did some VFX on a film recently called "Frame Switch". I did the drone video/explosion shot and some distant smoke shots. It was fun being involved. The budget was pretty low but I still got paid ok.