PDA

View Full Version : 3DS Max 2017 & Maya 2017

adrian
08-04-2016, 03:20 AM
So today I found out some awesome news. Because I work at a University I am entitled to a free 3-year subscription to both 3DS Max and Maya 2017. I'm wondering which to learn first? I am in no way leaving LightWave behind as I love it but I figure it can't hurt to incorporate both of these into my 3D Arsenal.

As I underatand it Maya is really good for character animation and rigging and Max is better for modelling/VFX (particles/simulations). Would that be accurate?

You don't get gifted 7000 of free software (albeit for educational purposes only) every day :D ;D :)

MichaelT
08-04-2016, 08:23 AM
Keep in mind though that this license is strictly non-commercial :) It can also not be used in the classroom (despite its target audience) schools do have a significant rebate for such use AFAIK, unless they've changed it over the years.

adrian
08-05-2016, 01:59 AM
Yeah that was made very clear but that's cool as I'm a hobbyist. I'm able to install it on 2 machines so I've got them on my work computer and my home beast :-)

50one
08-05-2016, 03:27 AM
Either or, if Arch/vis is your interest then 3dsmax if heavy VFX & animation - Maya, excel in any of those and there is shed-load of jobs out there.

bobakabob
08-07-2016, 06:07 PM
I'm in the same boat, teaching Maya in College and Uni work but use LW at home and for occasional freelance.

Personally I've always found Max clunky with awful UI and an inspiration killer so tend to leave it well alone though as mentioned above Archviz is now a particular forte.

Re LW and Maya... Maya is deep, with especially good character animation tools. You'll find the fundamentals of modelling, animating and rendering in Mental Ray (for now) are fairly straightforward to learn coming from LW. Surfacing in Maya was imho the least intuitive feature to pick up... awful! It's the simplicity and immediacy of LW rendering, nodal texturing and vpr that I can't live without - plus you can create commercial work with it for a relatively tiny investment. For CA, Genoma and RHiggit are a huge step forward.

jasonwestmas
08-07-2016, 06:22 PM
If you're into characters I would choose Maya without blinking an eyelash. For everything else it doesn't really matter, other than deciding which level of detail you are looking for. e.g. Zbrush is really great at HD sculpting. Mari is great at HD texture painting. Houdini has super sophisticated simulation tools. Max has some nice gaming tools and support, but so does maya.

adrian
08-08-2016, 01:51 AM
Interesting comments about Max being clunky. I'm currently going through the Lynda.com 9hr Essential Training for 3ds Max 2017 (because I have a free account with Lynda too, I cannot believe the perks you get when working for a Uni!) and already I'm finding the same thing compared to LW. I am enjoying learning it though but I cannot ever see it replacing LW as my tool of choice. What I really want to explore are particle effects & fluid dynamics which I gather both are superior (at present) to LW bearing in mind I don't own TurbulenceFD.