PDA

View Full Version : Coke Bottle Trouble

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 07:59 AM
Hi, everyone there.
I am trying to model this Coke Bottle but I am getting paranoid because apparently I'm having difficulties with the mesh. I just can't get it right.
I am working in subdivision mode (and I don't know if I am doing the right thing, maybe splines is the way to go).
The first thing is: where the top-section ends and the middle section begins and where the middle section ends and the bottom begins I have this hard transition with something like a kind of "folding" (I will then post the wires and smooth shades) I think, that is due to the fact that the top and middle section have these characteristic "forms" (I don't know what the word is in English) and the middle section is totally cylindrical and smooth and so need less geometry. Also I don't want to treat these sections as separate layers because it would be too hard and the real bottle is made of glass and so is ONE HOLE piece.

Then in the part where these "forms" tend to disappear in the bottom section and flow lower into the "butt" of the bottle I got these creases I certainly don't like at all. I didn't attempt to render it yet, but I want to obtain a clean mesh before that.

One last thing, like I said the bottle is made of glass and is ONE HOLE PIECE, and I would like to know if there is a way or method to "weld or integrate" these tiny little details with the "butt" of the bottle? Please tell me there is. Just in case, I don't want to use bumps here. I want to get the model right as it is the real thing. ONE HOLE.
Thanks in advance, and here goes the pics.
Please forgive my English.

Ezequiel.

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 08:09 AM
another shot

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 08:10 AM
another one...

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 08:13 AM
another...

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 08:19 AM
ther one....

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 08:20 AM
more.....

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 08:21 AM
more....

meshmaster
12-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Coke is a copyrighted trademark/logo... ;)

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 08:23 AM
and.....

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 08:28 AM
and we are finished with this one.
I hope this is enough pictures to show my modelling problem...

Well, I hope that someone will help soon....

Thanx,
Ezequiel

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by meshmaster
Coke is a copyrighted trademark/logo... ;)

I already know that meshmaster, but what does that have to do with my modelling matters?
There is a lot of threads in which people mention or post model pictures where there is an included and/or mentioned trademark.

Even in the Newtek gallery you see product visualization renders with the trade logos in them.

Would you tell me more about your point concerning this matter?

By the way meshmaster, will I Get some help from you otherwise than legal warnings..? If not I would recomend you changing your nickname to legalmaster.... No ofense at all

Thank you anyway meshmaster ;)

meshmaster
12-12-2003, 12:00 PM
I don't think sub-d likes n-gons... the pic you uploaded looks like you have a more than 4 sided poly in there...

meshmaster
12-12-2003, 12:01 PM
would be to get rid of the n-gon

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Hey!! thanks meshmaster, that was fast :eek:

I'll look at it when I have some time
If I have some doubts I'll post more questions

Thanks again, hope to help you in the future :) ;)

meshmaster
12-12-2003, 12:16 PM
down here.. need points that connect to points... think your problem may be that you have points sort of floating out in the middle of the other polys, not really connected to the points making up the other areas of the model? ...

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 12:20 PM
Hey meshmaster...
Now that I saw your images I must tell you
The model doesn't have more than 4 sides polys
They are all 3 or 4 sided, I don't know how to get that right

Another thing. Does N-GONS stand for more than 4 sided polys?

Thanx again meshmaster:)

meshmaster
12-12-2003, 12:23 PM
same thing...

meshmaster
12-12-2003, 12:24 PM
make tris and quads.

meshmaster
12-12-2003, 12:24 PM
:)

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 12:38 PM
Meshmaster maybe the perspective view is rather tricky, :confused

but I checked the polygon statistics panel and there are no more than 3 or 4 sided polys

would you like to see some pics in wireframe mode?

Ezequiel

meshmaster
12-12-2003, 01:21 PM
are you looking at the stat counter in poly mode or point mode?

Ezequiel
12-12-2003, 01:36 PM
No.

In polygon mode, but I think I'll post images in wireframe mode so you can see this "mid section" thing better.

The bottom part of the bottle (the one with the details) was helpfull because you could see the poly structure better and so you could figure out a solution. I think I will be able to fix that thanks to your solution there.

Ezequiel
12-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Here goes a few pics in wireframe mode

I would also like to do the Coca-Cola logo in 3D and weld it to the mid section in a way that it looks like it is rising from the glass surface. Is there a way to do that. I'd like to do this because the real bottle is made entirely of glass and it doesn't have anything printed nor sticked to it. Just glass with the logo and a few legal specs refering to the content.

I love it:) ;) It's nice

Ezequiel
12-13-2003, 06:57 PM
another

Ezequiel
12-13-2003, 06:59 PM
another...

Ezequiel
12-13-2003, 07:03 PM
and this one...

refer to the beginning of the thread to see what my trouble is with this model, thanx ;)

Ezequiel

toby
12-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Yes an 'n-gon' is one with more than 4 points - if you had any, they wouldn't have turned into sub-patches in the first place.

One thing that will help is if you can get rid of all the tri's ( 3 point polys ) and use only quads. Tri's usually have problems with smooothing/seams.

Ezequiel
12-14-2003, 12:41 AM
Thanks toby,
May be I'll have to do it from the start to have only quads..
I don't like tris either...

But I can't even imagine how will I weld the Coca cola logo to the mid section geometry which is basically a cylinder.
Do you know about some modeling tutorial where a detailed object is weld to another object with considerably less polygon count? :confused:

Thanks,
Ezequiel

toby
12-14-2003, 12:53 AM
There are a few tricks to learn about sub-patches, try

www.splinegod.com
http://www.newtek.com/community/tutorials.html
www.3dbuzz.com

Ezequiel
12-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Hey toby, thanks for the links provided!!;)
They are great. I'll study them as soon as I can...
Ezequiel