PDA

View Full Version : Moving Flocking Generator not working

dickbill
08-03-2016, 06:15 AM
Hi all,

1) Is there any ways a Flocking Generator can generate its flock while moving, 'on the fly' ?
So far in my hands, only its position in the first frame is taken into account to generate the flock.

2) in addition, very often there is an offset between the position of the generator when it is a mesh-object that is parented, even when I am careful to superimpose the Pivot axis of the mesh generator on the mesh per se. Why's that ?

- - - Updated - - -

PS : I have LW11.6

dickbill
08-04-2016, 08:50 AM
It is definitively not possible with Lw11.6.
I tried with the most simple flock setting, I just moved the generator box during the calculation and even if the Agents are generated after the box has started to move, they are still generated from the first 'ghost' position.

Is there a solution to that ?

jeric_synergy
08-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Is there a way to have a Particle Emitter be the Flock Generator?

dickbill
08-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Is there a way to have a Particle Emitter be the Flock Generator?

No I tried.
Created a null Emitter that moves from frame 0 to 50 : particles are created along the path
Assigned a Flock generator from Scene to that Null (generate flock from frame 0 to 50)
Created a Director Goal
Flock is still entirely generated from first position of the Null.

dickbill
08-04-2016, 11:13 AM
I guess that issue has been raised previously for 'displacement object' used as a flock generator. The flock doesn't follow the displacement and is generated from the fist geometry.

I used a trick to make the effect I wanted in my animation and it's OK, but I'd still like to know if there is a general solution to that. Perhaps LW 2015 ?

jeric_synergy
08-04-2016, 11:24 AM
1) Please tell us the "trick".

2) Pour moi, it seems most likely that one would somehow connect a flock with an emitter- I believe you when you say it doesn't work (and QUELLE SUPRISE! /sarc). I mean, you are ADDING members of the flock, where are they coming from? #aflw, but if a flock has a 'birth' parameter, what's it doing? If members are joining one by one, like birds assembling a flock, maybe you can have an off-screen 'reservoir' of 'birds' that are only made visible as they approach the desired locus.

3) Blah blah blah, talking thru my hat. ;)

Anyway, would like to hear your results.
+++++++++++
I note that there seems to be a nodal interface for flock, per the manual. Perhaps you can dole out the Agent's behaviors nodally over time.

dickbill
08-05-2016, 06:08 AM
1) Please tell us the "trick".
Perhaps you can dole out the Agent's behaviors nodally over time.

Oh unfortunately I am not good enough to resolve that problem, I just adapted my animation and replaced my moving flocking generator by a static one.
Had I been really forced to use a moving generator, I guess I should have dropped Flocking entirely and deal with Particle Emitters instead, then set the path to each particles manually to conform to a desired path. I don't know if it is even possible, it seems much more work than a flock and anyhow, that's not really a 'solution'.

Node: I never really transitioned to it.
hear/show my results : too bad we can't post short videos here. I have a youtube channel, but with other stuff and that would be weird to post it there.