PDA

View Full Version : Notify Users About Updates Please, Please, Please

brianone20
08-02-2016, 08:04 PM
I have requested this before, as have others on here. I think it is absolutely ludicrous that TriCaster owners do not receive emails when machines that they are registered to own, have new software releases available without notification. We had an 8000 lockup while we were live in a pay-per-view show 2 weeks ago. LIVE, On-Air, the machine froze just trying to color correct a camera. I had updated the AE software just days before the event. I submitted a fogbuz report and the reply I got back was that they were aware of the bug and that there was a newer version of software out, then they closed the case before I could even reply. The newer version must have been made available just a day or so before the show. These are Live broadcasting machines in which people rely, with great dependency and reliability. It's almost as if you have to check to see if you are current every single day. If there's a release, I may not have the hour+ it takes to update when I discover it.

If NewTek won't do it for us, would someone be willing to create an email group possibly? I would be willing to pay someone to setup a notification group.

I've had machines freak out for known bugs because I was on the previous version of software many times and I know others who have had it happen to as well. NewTek is only hurting it's own reputation and it's loyal customer's businesses by neglecting this and what seems like a very simple fix.

PLEASE OFFER AN OPTIONAL OPT-IN EMAIL LIST FOR TRICASTER SOFTWARE UPDATES. I AM BEGGING YOU.

doctorsunshine
08-03-2016, 03:11 AM
I agree. Already asked as well.

Top_Shot
08-29-2016, 09:03 AM
I joined the Forums just to post this very same thought. It would seem many are asking or have asked for this, so what gives? Are these forums / threads reliable ways to communicate with NewTek? I would be very interested to hear from NewTek regarding the possibility of implementing such alerts.

To assume users are checking the NewTek website on a regular basis for updates indicates a complete lack of understanding of today's production environment. We are asked to be a combination producer / director / writer / shooter / engineer / and editor on every project. Technology, such as the TriCaster, helps make this possible, but there has to be a way to inform users of updates.

I challenge NewTek to publicly respond to this thread with a cogent answer to our request. Prove to your customers you value us, and our stated needs.

Thanks.

SBowie
08-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Are these forums / threads reliable ways to communicate with NewTek?No, they aren't.

True, you will find the odd staffer lurking in here at times, myself, Kane, Zane, the odd CS person passing through ... but that's not by any means guaranteed. Generally, those of us who do so will try to help with a problem as it seems appropriate or when we are able, but do not imagine that this is part of anyone's job description (most of use were simply longtime members before ever coming to work for NewTek, and continue as such). The forums are meant to allow community interaction - users helping users. They are not a substitute for direct channels to either CS or Sales.

To assume users are checking the NewTek website on a regular basis for updates [snip] ..... there has to be a way to inform users of updates.Now you're the one making assumptions. ;)

And that would seem to be a reasonable assumption, but apparently has proven to be a very sticky issue in reality. I'm told it's been tried in the past, more than once, and proven to be difficult to maintain and operate. It's not just the matter of keeping the contact list up to date, the fact is that you can run into all sorts of issue with bulk email schemess. For example, you may run afoul of some service's spam traps and the next thing you know all of your outgoing emails are blocked and bouncing. And these things can cascade.

One assumption that would be safe for you to make is that whenever there is some seemingly obvious thing that should be done, and which has been requested many times over the years, that thing is actually nowhere near as simple as it seems - else it would have been done long since.

I challenge NewTek to publicly respond to this thread with a cogent answer to our request.Done. And further, I'll raise the request again at the next convenient opportunity. Technology moves on, methods are updated, and periodic re-evaluation makes sense/ But for the record, and again since you asked, no, this is not the place to submit such requests. Inasmuch as it bears on support, you could raise it directly with CS. And on the other hand, as it affects the desirability of the product, you could raise it with Sales. But the forums can sometimes be an echo chamber for this sort of thing.

Top_Shot
08-29-2016, 11:15 AM
Thanks Steve for your quick reply. You make some excellent points about the hazards of email alerts. However, I, and others it would seem, feel that TriCaster owners who have taken the time to register our products / Pay for ProTek support / etc. should be able to receive a simple email stating that an update is available. I do not feel that this is an impossible task to accomplish, and beats having your loyal customers encounter problems in the field with your equipment. Especially when the FIRST thing the phone support folks ask is if you are on the latest version. (every time).
I have been a NewTek customer for 6 years, ProTek support the whole time, and have never received email alerts to notify of updates. So maybe in the distant past it was tried before, but technology evolves, and I feel sure a way to support customers in this way exists.
I spent hours on the phone with ProTek support last Friday about a problem that is still not solved, and when I asked if there was a way to request email alerts for TriCaster updates, the feature request forum is where I was told to go and post. Since I was directed here, I have to assume this is the place. Your point about telling sales or CS is well made, but than, I should not be directed here by NewTek if this is not the place.
Thanks

SBowie
08-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Thanks for your comments. Just by the way, I assume you do know that you can easily check for updates from TriCaster, right? At least for 2-5 and all AE versions, you need on;y download the updater tool once, and then you can run it and check for updates. (I understand that this doesn't fully resolve your concern. just want to make sure you're taking advantage of what exists.)

adebats
08-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Steve - you might remember I asked for this many moons ago. When auto sensing SDI first came out, we had a serious issue during a live show when we were using the videohub to change one of the cameras coming in - little did we know at the time that the auto-sense SDI leaked a little memory and that the bug had been fixed and a release was out. But we didn't know and we ended up in trouble - thankfully our 2nd tricaster backup got us out of trouble. An email list must be possible as I get odd emails from newtek for salesy type things like deals.

SBowie
08-29-2016, 02:12 PM
An email list must be possible as I get odd emails from newtek for salesy type things like deals.I'm aware of that (I get flooded with them due to multuple signups), and you can be sure I will point this out.

brianone20
09-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the input Steve! As always you're at the forefront of "unofficial", official discussions! We appreciate any interaction. I would like to point out that this forum header is titled "feature requests" and I would hope NewTek pays more attention to it than a mere glance from time to time. We're out here in the field working with the gear and providing real world results, not lab tests and I often feel like the latter.

After reading your post about NewTek trying out the email alert system years back and considering it a failure I have to suggest taking the task out of NewTek's in house team's hands and outsourcing it. This type of thing can be done 3rd party and turnkey, no doubt about it. I would happily research what other companies use if it was time spent in the name of resolution.

I AM ALSO WILLING TO OFFER $1,000 TO ANYONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO SETUP AN GROUP EMAIL ON THEIR SERVER THAT CAN ACCOMPLISH THESE CRITICAL UPDATE NOTIFICATIONS, IF IN FACT IT WAS AUTOMATED AND COULD PROVE TO BE CURRENT. IF WE CROWD FUND THIS PROJECT I AM WILING TO BET IT COULD AGGREGATE A DECENT PAYOFF FOR SOMEONE!!

PIZZAZ? JOSE BURGOS? YOU GUYS KNOW ANYONE WHO CAN ACCOMPLISH THIS? WHAT WOULD BE A FAIR COST?

IF NEWTEK WON'T TOUCH IT, LET'S DO IT OURSELVES?!

adebats
09-13-2016, 12:27 AM
apart from the caps, I actually agree with this.

An independent system of which alerts to users who want to know what's currently going on would be a good call. Updates and Bugs are the 2 main things I want to know about.

Even a place with currently known bugs also would be very good. In the 10 years of being a newtek customer, I have several instances of having software (or hardware when the CS first came out with the internal issues that was not made known to users and we all had live shows where various buttons randomly went into states upon vibration) issues. Issues which when I reported to newtek, I was usually told that a fix was already done and in the latest version.

Am sure newtek would save time also as my UK link would be happier not having me (and many other UK users) constantly emailling him about bugs that were already fixed.

Of course we are all too busy to set this up because of the wonderful products and updates (still getting my head around NDI) that newtek produce.

brianone20
09-14-2016, 09:19 PM
SoRrY for the CAPS! But I wanted to make sure people didn't just scan the first part of my response:)

...just over here updating my Haivision Kulabyte encoder to 4.5 because they sent me an email saying I should do so. Convenient is an understatement...

GeekNews
09-16-2016, 01:20 AM
I am gonna pile in on this one as well. I just cannot imagine how hard it would be to have a routine call home to mama and see if there is an update.. We live in a world where our phones tell us when their is a update. A very expensive piece of gear should do the same.. The folks at WordPress have perfected updates to plugins and software and you know within minutes if a update is available and the changes that have been implemented. It cannot be that hard.

Spinland
09-16-2016, 02:59 AM
Rob posted this yesterday, both on a thread here and on the FB forum:

Do not be discouraged in this moment. There will be information coming as soon as possible but right now I will say that things are looking very exciting for LightWave and you have a team here working very hard to ensure the best for the LightWave community and we are excited about sharing many more details when the time is right..

It's hardly concrete, but at least it's a crumb of info and a sign they haven't all packed up and fled the country. ;D