PDA

View Full Version : Determining the PATH to an LWO? Determining Layer or not?

jeric_synergy
08-01-2016, 07:01 PM
:stumped: Is there actually no way to determine the file PATH to an object in Layout?

djwaterman
08-01-2016, 09:49 PM
You may be right, you want something like After Effects where you can quickly reveal the items directory location. You can open a scene in notepad and scroll through all the code to find the objects directory path, but that's quite a task, and it should be easier. If you're desperate to find the location of something before doing a dangerous operation I would open the scene in notepad and check in there first. A pain I know.

djwaterman
08-01-2016, 09:52 PM
This is one of those behind the scenes workflow enhancements that could be addressed, but it's not a sexy feature on the surface.

jeric_synergy
08-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Indeed: users shouldn't EVER have to go prowling about inside *.cfg-LIKE files to get basic info.

OTOH: while this makes total Good Sense&Practice, I am forced to admit I've rarely needed to do so. I usually use the REPLACE OBJECT function to find the path. Still it just seems ..... like a rookie mistake. Especially bad when you are going into a scene you haven't worked with in a few months.

Allen and Stuart might have been pioneers, but some of their decisions are really questionable at this very late date.

This is one of those behind the scenes workflow enhancements that could be addressed, but it's not a sexy feature on the surface.
I have a knack for finding those. Amazingly, it hasn't led to riches.

Prince Charming
08-01-2016, 10:29 PM
:stumped: Is there actually no way to determine the file PATH to an object in Layout?

If you make a change to an object and hit the x on windows to kill layout you will have a sweet surprise. Would be nice to have access to that all the time.

ernpchan
08-01-2016, 11:02 PM
You could make a script that'll return that information.

jeric_synergy
08-01-2016, 11:09 PM
If you make a change to an object and hit the x on windows to kill layout you will have a sweet surprise. Would be nice to have access to that all the time.
Good workaround, one could always cancel. :thumbsup:

Even though it's rarely needed, seems like it should be there (short of the exit panel), as it is in AE (as dj pointed out).

True, but it seems that script should ship with the program.

That's a thing: there's all these functions that are pretty trivial for an experienced coder to script up, but relatively hard for knuckleheads like myself. How many requested features could be met by scripts that the LWG are the most competent people to produce, rather than third parties?

Prince Charming
08-01-2016, 11:12 PM

Get to work ;)

iain_r
08-02-2016, 03:02 AM
Layout plugin for object/image paths, 64Bit.

Regards

Iain

Andy Webb
08-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Excellent! :thumbsup:

JoePoe
08-02-2016, 08:40 AM
@ Prince Charming. Welcome back.

Thanks ian_r.

jeric_synergy
08-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Get to work ;)

I'm more the managerial type...... ;)

Regards
Iain

SEE!?? :ohmy:

Iain_r , you are a scripting force-of-nature. :beerchug: Thanks man!

Prince Charming
08-02-2016, 12:06 PM

Regards

Iain

Thanks a bunch... I knew some kind person who's spirit has yet to be crushed would do it.

Snosrap
08-02-2016, 09:31 PM
I have always just gone to "Replace" the offending object to find it's path. Not elegant, but works.

jeric_synergy
08-02-2016, 09:43 PM
I have always just gone to "Replace" the offending object to find it's path. Not elegant, but works.
IMO, that lack of elegance could be a problem. And is surely indicative of bad practices.

Like, in AE, if an asset is not found, a placeholder (color bars) is loaded instead. IIRC it will still list the expected path in the project window. This is how adults program a production tool.

iain_r
08-03-2016, 05:37 AM
Compiled a version for 32Bit Lightwave, should work from version 9.6

Regards

Iain