PDA

View Full Version : Trusses and skeletal structures

jeric_synergy
07-31-2016, 07:36 PM
For another thread I whipped up a crap helicopter, but part of the process got me pondering:
The tail was made by chamfering a low poly CONE, deleting the biggest polys, and then applying THICKEN.

For this theoretical application, it was adequate, if pathetic, but still the manual selection of the polys grates on my nerves. I didn't see a useful thing in CHAMFER that would allow the easy separation of original geometry from new geometry.

What's a less laborious general approach to constructing truss-like and architecturally skeletal objects?

Thanks.

prometheus
07-31-2016, 10:41 PM
Well..if you donīt mind me stalking you for one or two posts :)
Use blender for that stuff...
And repeating what I often have showcased...skip lightwave for this kind of things, you can make initial mesh in lightwave, but copy just the edges you want and send it do blender and add the skin modifier( the one right beneath screw modifier, if you have a solid object that you simply want the wireframe from, use the wireframe modifier in blender.
then just send back to lighwave and continue

djwaterman
07-31-2016, 11:44 PM
There is no less laborious method if you want to make it look like the real thing, you have to build the separate modular bits that go into constructing these kinds of structures, then assemble them. You can use cheat methods but you wont get anything really good out of them.

JoePoe
08-01-2016, 09:01 AM
....but still the manual selection of the polys grates on my nerves.

No need for manual selection.
After Chamfer switch to Edge mode (if you're not in it already ;)), convert selection to polys, delete. :hey:

prometheus
08-01-2016, 11:40 AM
No need for manual selection.
After Chamfer switch to Edge mode (if you're not in it already ;)), convert selection to polys, delete. :hey:

Yes..we have had threads before about this, and especially chamfer and converting to poly selections, delete ..then thicken.

the way 2015 retains the selection ..that has changed compared to 11.6.3 ...I think we have discussed that to, but I am not sure if it was intentional or a bug, basicly 2015 is useless for me when doing vertebrae skeleton chamfers and trying to convert to polyselections, it doesnīt work anymore in the same way , however, some simple stuff like chamfering the end structure like this should work.

I am however waiting for a skin or wireframe truss tool in lightwave, there simple isnīt anyone that can perform such actions and have joined piping/truss..you have to manually edit and weld if you use the truss plugin for instance, thus I rather just send it to blender and use skin modifier or wireframe modifier.

Another way is ofcourse to manually just build sections and match by cloning partīs to exact matches, or drag snapping parts, depending on type of model you want.. it may not be necessary to actually have the sections seemlessly joined either.

DNA STRAND..LIGHTWAVE-BLENDER SKIN MODIFIER..(in this case I intentionally made the parts loose, while you can simply merge inner sections..they would then blend with the outer parts)
The Section was also created with edges and skin modifier) almost equal result can be made by simply twisting polygons with no need for cuttin out edges as I did, but then you should use wireframe modifier in blender, not skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K40ngYL6dOk&list=PLdaQ-nxd0g2dM40IQ-J3c1Or4Cm6i1t8F&index=2

Michael