PDA

View Full Version : Instancing telephone poles and lines?

objuan
07-30-2016, 06:19 PM
I have a curvaceous hilly landscape and I want to populate it with telephone lines, among other things. There will be quite a few poles, and quite a few different lines...

What is the best way to go about this?

I'd love be able to just draw the line in 2d from above, and have it automatically populated with my telephone pole objects every 100', and nice swooping lines going between them...

prometheus
07-30-2016, 10:39 PM
I have a curvaceous hilly landscape and I want to populate it with telephone lines, among other things. There will be quite a few poles, and quite a few different lines...

I'd love be able to just draw the line in 2d from above, and have it automatically populated with my telephone pole objects every 100', and nice swooping lines going between them...

well you can not just draw a line to fit on a surface, but why not just draw a spline and conform it to the ground, but that is provided you have a mesh done in modeler or freezed.
if in modeler, you could just paint select your points from point view as well.

if you have your object as modeled in modeler, you could for instance draw a spline and stencil project it, this you may want to do on copied layer of the original hill, then select those stencil points ..cut and paste and delete the rest of the poly´s in that layer, this can be used for the instances.
The difficult part though..is to select those points after the stencil is done, I am a bit marveled about the fact that I can not find a proper tool or workflow to deal with that in a satisfying way..so heatshrink in y axis of the curve is probably a good way, then after heatshrink..use that.

if it is a displacement map or fractals in layout, it requires other approaches, either save transformed object and use that with heatshrink as mentioned to extract a curve that actually fits the displacement later on.
or use image map with a painted stroke.

prometheus
07-30-2016, 11:01 PM
You may also ask yourself, do I really need instances here? is there going to be so much that normal objects won´t do?
if you can get away with all being just normal poly objects, you could use mg ultimate clone or place mesh, or particle clone etc.
I am not sure if you need the wires..I guess you do, then it becomes tricker perhaps with instances.

prometheus
07-30-2016, 11:14 PM
must add...shouldn´t be a problem to instance the poles as mentioned, the curve that is heatshrinked and is used for instancing based on the points, you can just copy that to another layer, and move raise it to the level you want to mach the height end of the poles, but you can wait with that till you send it to layout to adjust, while in modeler you use that curve layer and then the free pictrix plugin called curve form, or some of the native rail extrudes.

wingzeta
07-31-2016, 12:08 AM

I would create a curve from your landscape or road, and then use "Rail Clone". If you uncheck "Oriented" your telephone poles should all be standing straight up. With rail clone you get clones rather than instances, but it works well for things like lamp posts and telephone poles along hilly roads. With a little trial and error, you should get the spacing you are after. As far as the model, you could make one pole (have it extend a bit below ground level), with the swooping wires coming off one side. Then you would just have to move the ends of your wires by hand to match the position of the next pole. This is where I wish we had legit soft select. Someone probably has a smarter solution, but that's my 2 cents.. There are a bunch of awesome archviz guys using LW, hopefully one of them chimes in.

spherical
07-31-2016, 12:45 AM
I'd instance the poles with Advanced Placement, then manually adjust the wires draped upon them, based upon an initial +Z value from the base mesh to get them near to where they finally need to be. Spline control would be the best approach for the latter, as the wires' curve would need to be related to the pole cross arm elevation above the landscape, not the actual distance above the terrain itself. IOW, I don't believe that there is an automatic way to drape the wires on the pole's cross arms accurately enough and smooth enough along a gravity vector to be believable.

prometheus
07-31-2016, 01:57 AM
I'd instance the poles with Advanced Placement, then manually adjust the wires draped upon them, based upon an initial +Z value from the base mesh to get them near to where they finally need to be. Spline control would be the best approach for the latter, as the wires' curve would need to be related to the pole cross arm elevation above the landscape, not the actual distance above the terrain itself. IOW, I don't believe that there is an automatic way to drape the wires on the pole's cross arms accurately enough and smooth enough along a gravity vector to be believable.

two things here, I think he wants to draw a spline curve at least for defining the placement of poles, so I wonder if advanced placement really is a good idea? it also assumes he has advanced placement or can afford it.

for creating the poles ..it´s super easy with just drawing of a spline, heat shrink it, and then just use that layers points for instances, copy that layer once more to another layer, use pictrix curve form and you get wires in the same shape, then adjust later what is needed.

prometheus
07-31-2016, 02:18 AM
just a crude sampe, instanced poles on top of the spline I heatshrinked on geometry, then used the same curve and curve px worm (named it wrong as curve form previously)
Now this is not exactly how wires is connected as I know of, so instead of using a finished model, I might go for a polychain and use some dynamics, where intersections is static and the other points are dynamic, then metalink a long divided tube...which then conforms to the dynamics of the polychain, you could either use bullet or cloth, cloth may be easier to simply define the fixed non dynamic points, which should be those that also was used for the instances, which was based on spline points.

Animated gif...instanced poles with one wire, but no dynamic gravity slope inbetween.
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=133883&d=1469953058

prometheus
07-31-2016, 02:35 AM
I don't believe that there is an automatic way to drape the wires on the pole's cross arms accurately enough and smooth enough along a gravity vector to be believable.
I think dynamics should be fine, either bullet or cloth should do, some differences in the soft body and cloth fx behaviour on a polychain, and difference how you make fixed points...the actual wire mesh can just be metalinked to the dynamic polychain.

image sample above was actually just instances, but I think I would go for full polymodels of the poles, and clone them in modeler, and not instances, doesn´t seem like he would need 100 000 of poles..I don´t suspect that anyway.

prometheus
07-31-2016, 02:54 AM
there´s actually an old dynamics and detail training by Greg Sullivan from the desktop image series that covers some poles and wires, and the dynamic drooping of the wires, you may need to check maybe 35-40 minutes in to the vid for the specific coverage of that..the quality is a bit ..old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTKd7pA3rU

JoePoe
07-31-2016, 09:13 AM
Cables (http://stephenculley.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/lscript-modelercable.html) plugin. :cool:

daforum
07-31-2016, 09:43 AM
Have a look at this script: http://stephenculley.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/lscript-modelercable.html

It's a modeler script so you will have to save transformed from layout to work with it, but what the heck, once you're happy with the poles why not...

Ma3rk
07-31-2016, 01:13 PM
This is very much along the lines of something I was fiddling with last year but with considerably different objects. Work & time pretty much got in the way of my continuing but it still might be fun if someone else is game.

If anyone is interested in the models I'm made so far, let me know & I'll post them as I have to strip the images to make file size forum acceptable.

Here's the original article:

http://www.nationalmemo.com/an-engineer-explains-why-trumps-wall-is-so-implausible/

As stated at the ending follow-up link, the original “instigator” has since “recapitulated”. Amazing what happens when reality rears its head.

Anyway, I was using Spline control but having issues with the offset value & never figured why. I ended up just eyeballing it.

I also was hoping to somehow utilize Raycast for the placement of the instances but didn't get that far. Using actual terrain maps would have been the next step of course.

jeric_synergy
07-31-2016, 03:03 PM
IOW, I don't believe that there is an automatic way to drape the wires on the pole's cross arms accurately enough and smooth enough along a gravity vector to be believable.
No kidding-- if someone figures out a way to do that, be very happy to hear it.

I think this is a case where Instancing can be used, but as a modeling tool, and then you'll be forced to do the wires manually. Is there some reason Instancing would have to be retained beyond the startup?

STRAIGHT (very unreal) lines would be fairly trivial (Cody's network tutorial)-- is there a way to get such lines all, ummm, 'spliney'?. and deformed in -Y direction, that might be a way forward....

MARK WARNER recently did a series of tutes on his YouTube channel about distributing items across a mography landscape-- take a look, might be some ideas there. (And subscribe to his channel, he has MANY MANY Good ideas.)