PDA

View Full Version : Randomize Image Loop start on duplicate objects?

objuan
07-28-2016, 10:32 PM
I have an space engine object with a glowing cone coming off the back, which is textured with an image sequence loop. I like it. But I have like 8 of these engines, duplicated in Layout, and I want each engine to start the loop on a different frame so they aren't all synchronized. Is there a way to do that without having to create multiple objects with different texture names, and bringing in a duplicate image sequence that starts on a different frame?

jeric_synergy
07-28-2016, 11:27 PM
You can CLONE the image sequence in Image Editor, and specify different start times for the loop.

Use the CLONE as the texture.

Thomas Leitner
07-29-2016, 05:20 AM
You can CLONE the image sequence in Image Editor, and specify different start times for the loop.

Use the CLONE as the texture.

You can use this (be sure to use "Duplicate" not "Instance" for image cloning).
BUT: if you clone your object in Layout each object has the same surfaces! You can use different image sequences for different objects with the same surface. To do so you have to use nodes. Use Item ID or TypeID (e.g. DPkits "Item Info" node has this) to drive a gradient with the different image nodes connected.

ciao
Thomas

Sensei
07-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Get TrueArt's Node Library http://www.trueart.eu
it has Extended Item Info,
which has output Clone Index,
it extracts number in parenthesis (xxxx) of item name.
So you can put anything in item name, and retrieve it in Node Editor.

jeric_synergy
07-29-2016, 05:37 PM
BUT: if you clone your object in Layout each object has the same surfaces! You can use different image sequences for different objects with the same surface. To do so you have to use nodes. Use Item ID or TypeID (e.g. DPkits "Item Info" node has this) to drive a gradient with the different image nodes connected.
Good catch: I neglected the OP's "duplicated in Layout" clause, so yep, some nodal magic required. --I'm not even sure what node accesses Image Editor clone numbers: is there one?? But, by that level it may be easier to connect the start frame offset to the Instance/Clone (whichever the OP is using) than to do any folderol in the Image Editor. ---I'm learning thingsss! ;)

Good stuff, team! :thumbsup: