PDA

View Full Version : That's a lot of instances!

Dan Ritchie
07-28-2016, 02:25 PM
Anybody doing anything absurd with instances these days?

prometheus
07-29-2016, 11:00 AM
I do not use them, isnīt that absurd enough? :)

No..seriously, I am still messing with individual rock creation, and mostly with blender sculpting now, but I reckon that will be sent back to Lightwave when the time for instances approaches.

I donīt like the hills in the background in the first image, the second image is much better..for me anyway, needs quite a bit of improving on aa, but I get the point..you are mostly testing, and as such we do all take some shortcuts in quality I guess:)

I really like the grass and the fauna in there, it looks very nice, and good lighting as well and with some sort of occlusion it seems that behaves well on the grass too.
Can you reveal how many different unique types of stone-rocks you made for this? and how many vegetation types?

Oh..a wider camera resolution would be nice for landscapes like this, just a bit wider, perhaps throw in a cow or two in the background, that may give a sense of a living landscape :)

Kryslin
07-29-2016, 11:33 AM
I had a couple of landscape tests, mainly to see what my simplex foil generator could do, and instanced some xfrog plants onto it...
3.3 million trees, 7-8 million clumps of grass, and 2 million rocks. I employed some nodes to instance only in the horizontal field of view of the camera (plus a couple of degrees, either side), but I still had 12 million instances rendering... I don't think I saved anything from that, it was a couple of years back...

djwaterman
07-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Hey that's really nice Dan. Is it a VPR render as it looks fairly noisy? A cleaner render and it would be superb.

OlaHaldor
07-29-2016, 01:09 PM
All though not as detailed as yours, I'm playing with instancing in the evenings after work.
Last night I messed with how instancing works overall and fought a lot with distribution. Too thick. Too thin.. Tonight I've found a new way to make a tad more organic distribution mask than I had before where everything was filled in.

This is one tree (1.2mill polys) instanced 68886 times. In earlier versions I had 1 million trees, which filled it in way too much, yet that looked good too. :)
http://puu.sh/qiTGm/8c6424bc34.png

Spinland
07-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Crazy! Love it! I did a piece for a client that was to be printed at 60 by 48 inches for a wall display. About half a billion blades of grass distributed via a texture map plus several math nodes to force the grass to avoid a couple of specified areas. Took my 12 core Xeon Mac Pro with 32GB of RAM a crazy amount of time to react to any changes and the render time (and print file size) were insane.

Still the examples above put my project to shame. Good stuff!

OlaHaldor
07-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Hope I don't hurt your feelings when I say the above render of mine took 15 minutes at 3840x2160 :boogiedow
It would most likely be a different story if I moved the camera closer to the ground..

Dan Ritchie
07-29-2016, 02:51 PM

OlaHaldor
07-29-2016, 03:17 PM
Got any data on that, Dan?
Rendered native or in a 3rd party engine? Would love to have that kind of image and amount of instances +++ going on and throw it at Octane to see how it behaves.

Dan Ritchie
07-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Got any data on that, Dan?
Rendered native or in a 3rd party engine? Would love to have that kind of image and amount of instances +++ going on and throw it at Octane to see how it behaves.

Maybe a million instances over about 2 sq km of geometry, lightwave 2015 native render. Most of these just have a directional light and a dome light. Now that I have the instances in place and working, I can play more with realistic/costly lighting/aa. It's just done on a gaming laptop, and I'm hugging my 8 gig memory limit. Taking about 6 minutes a frame at 720p.

Dan Ritchie
07-30-2016, 01:14 PM
.you are mostly testing, and as such we do all take some shortcuts in quality I guess.

No, I just come from an era when we got by with 5 or less aa passes and hid it in the VHS.

Spinland
07-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Hope I don't hurt your feelings when I say the above render of mine took 15 minutes at 3840x2160 :boogiedow

I am completely and utterly crushed. My tender feelings have been trampled into the dust. Only a series of offered rounds of your local craft brew will serve to expiate your crimes.

OlaHaldor
07-31-2016, 04:56 AM
One mead coming up.

Dan Ritchie
08-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Final result, I think

MichaelT
08-02-2016, 05:32 PM
That last one is quite nice :)

jeric_synergy
08-02-2016, 06:34 PM
A tute on that would be great, or just a walkthru.

prometheus
08-02-2016, 06:39 PM
All though not as detailed as yours, I'm playing with instancing in the evenings after work.
Last night I messed with how instancing works overall and fought a lot with distribution. Too thick. Too thin.. Tonight I've found a new way to make a tad more organic distribution mask than I had before where everything was filled in.

This is one tree (1.2mill polys) instanced 68886 times. In earlier versions I had 1 million trees, which filled it in way too much, yet that looked good too. :)
http://puu.sh/qiTGm/8c6424bc34.png

Eh...do you mean thatīs one tree object consisting of 1.2 millions of polygons, then instanced to the amount of 68886 instances? or is that the total amount of polygons after instancing?

Or is it exceptionally smaller in polycount for the One tree?

yes..it can be noticed that you would need maybe 4-8 types of tree variations ..even if it is one species, I think it could also a larger range for different sizes...also, I donīt think the trees should be there on the peaks, at least not the sharper peaks, seems unatural for a tree to grow an a sharp peak like some areas there, so another distribution method there perhaps? just suggestions..It may be possible that you just tested and is aware of what could be done for a possible improvement.