PDA

View Full Version : How to stream from Tricaster to TV Station miles away

PEC
07-28-2016, 09:32 AM
I am wanting to be on location with my TriCaster AE2 and send a stream back to an office (miles away). At the office, I want to take that live stream and put into another switcher via HDMI or SDI. The office switcher is then used to play out onto a local cable channel.

The TriCaster can obviously stream into many different formats. But what I don't know is how do I capture the stream in the office and send it to the office switcher via HDMI or SDI in real time (w/ audio)?

Note: I will have a solid internet connection on location and at the office.

I'm sure others are already doing this same thing in some way or another. I would love to hear how others are accomplishing this.

kltv
07-28-2016, 10:07 AM
How solid is your internet connection speed wise and is the office switcher also a TriCaster with NDI? If it was super fast, if you could setup a VPN or in some way make it across the network where you could use the built-in NDI connectivity, that would give you the best quality and you wouldn't really need to buy any other gear. You probably wouldn't want to use any of the "STREAM" button presets since you are looking to actually broadcast it and the quality of those isn't spectacular for that purpose. If you couldn't get an NDI connection through, I might look into an external IP-based encoder and decoder pair that are designed to send data over the dirty internet. I use some made by Fujitsu for ESPN shows. You could also look at Teradek Slice type of products. Same concept. http://teradek.com/collections/slice-family#point-to-point

Kris

PEC
07-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately, the office switcher is not an NDI TriCaster. So, that's not an option. While I can't comment for sure on the stability of the internet connection, for the purposes of this post let's assume I have a solid connection.

The Teradek products look nice, but this isn't going to be a regular thing. So, I'm not sure I can justify spending several thousand on that type of hardware solution.

Are there any ideas or ways to do this with the TriCaster and a PC/Mac on the other end? Or, is dedicated hardware the only way to do this?

GThomas
07-28-2016, 01:34 PM
Unfortunately, the office switcher is not an NDI TriCaster. So, that's not an option. While I can't comment for sure on the stability of the internet connection, for the purposes of this post let's assume I have a solid connection.

The Teradek products look nice, but this isn't going to be a regular thing. So, I'm not sure I can justify spending several thousand on that type of hardware solution.

Are there any ideas or ways to do this with the TriCaster and a PC/Mac on the other end? Or, is dedicated hardware the only way to do this?

Will you be needing talkback (like IFB style) and return program video from the office to the Tricaster or just a one way video stream from Tricaster to Office?

Radio_TVPat1982
07-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Like Kris. I agree that point to point encoder/decoder may be a good option if you have stable internet on both ends. Along with ESPN3, we use them for Minor League Baseball and MiLB TV. They are basically always on, but just be aware there is an internet delay. Its not minimal like say a RF connection. It could be more like 30 seconds to over a minute.

If you are a very short distance away with a clear line of site, you could use a point to point microwave connection. I first saw this used to get an internet signal short distances but it can also carry video as well.

kltv
07-28-2016, 02:41 PM
Probably what I would do first is run a speed test through something like http://www.speedtest.net at each end of the connection. At the remote site, you want to see what your upload speed is. At the local, it's the download speed. Knowing that would probably help narrow down your options. It would also be good to find out how much control over the networks you have (can you port forward, etc.) since some configuration would be required for point-to-point solutions.

Depending on what you want to do and how important the quality and latency is, you could try to do some kind of push stream to a computer at your local site. Then you would open up that stream fullscreen on that computer and take that feed into the TriCaster either with something like iVGA PRO, NDI Screen Capture or old fashioned video/audio outputs from the computer into the TriCaster. I've even done that with Skype for remote announcing with distant commentary using a laptop to capture and Skype the video over to the announcers.

Kris

PEC
07-29-2016, 07:09 AM
Talkback and return program video is not needed. Just need a one-way transmission.

I will have to check on the speeds. I have full control over the network at the office. Control on location may not be as easy...but probably possible.

Latency is not an issue. Quality is important, but only to the point that the viewers can watch the program...without getting frustrated with dropouts and jitter. The actual program is a talkshow, so not a lot of movement for the most part, but I'm sure we will run sports highlights and other clips that may have some more movement.

Call me crazy...but is slingbox a possibility? Could I output from the TriCaster into a slingbox and then at the office pick up the program and route into the switcher somehow?

kltv
07-29-2016, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't call you crazy for trying something like that. I started in public access on the cheap. When it works, it works.

It would probably work. I haven't used Slingbox, so I can't speak to the video quality. You should be able to get the video into it through either a component or HDMI input on the Slingbox at the remote side. On the local side, I'd look for a computer with an HDMI output. Then you could covert that over to SDI for your local TriCaster switcher.

Kris