PDA

View Full Version : Thank Goodness for the forum!

kyuzo
07-28-2016, 06:35 AM
Last night I had a serious crash, and my model was corrupted, and appeared to be unrecoverable.
Thanks to the forum, I discovered a trick to open the model in another application (in my case I just used Layout) and exported/saved the object layers from there. It was a subpatched object, so I set subpatch divisions to 0, and exported it as a .ply file.

This opened in modeler, in quads. Phew. I saved a back up and carried on...

One of those moments when the value of the forum is incalculable. I dread to think what state I'd be in if I'd had the crash last week when the forum was down...

Cheers everyone!

Asticles
07-28-2016, 08:25 AM
The forums are a great thing! But I suppose this thread will be a lot shorter than the complaints one.

Waves of light
07-28-2016, 08:50 AM
Yep - they are a valuable source of information.

Spinland
07-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Chiming in with full agreement. I know all the foofoorah going on elsewhere about the eventual fate of this forum but come what may the one thing that would horrify me would be to lose access to the archives.

Danner
07-28-2016, 10:31 AM
I urge everyone to turn on AutoSave, It is a misnomer, it does not overwrite what you are working on, it saves a backup in a folder called backup of your content directory. It does generate some garbage, but it gives me so much peace and confidence. I won't lose more than 20 min of work, ever. so I don't panic so much about crashes now. Only disadvantage is that If you are using a LAN server and are working with large files you might notice layout or modeler seem to freeze for a few seconds now and then (when it's doing object backups).