PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Tokyo

bbuxton
07-27-2016, 11:28 AM
Rather unexpectedly I find myself moving to Japan.

In February the government made it much harder for non EU immigrants to remain in the UK.
Now after Brexit it has become very difficult for me to earn enough to meet the minimum income for my wife to be able to stay with me in London.
So we move to Japan, initially Tokyo but maybe Osaka a bit later. I don't yet speak enough Japanese to just walk into a new job but am studying hard.
I know Lightwave has a greater presence in Japan than the UK so am hoping to find some leads where my lack of useful Japanese language will not be a barrier.
Most of my work experience has been visualisations and animations for the oil and gas industry and similar work for renewables, wind turbines, solar etc.
I have been using Lightwave for about 15 years.

Many thanks for any tips, leads or advice.

AElli
07-27-2016, 12:36 PM
さようなら
Sayōnara

prometheus
07-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Just curious, where are you originally from?
Well japan seem to have been a stronghold, not quite sure about it though..so it may be a good move if you can settle there without to many troubles, at least you do not go to sweden for the sake of job oppertunies related to lightwave.
I wonder how china is moving along on 3d industry, maybe they do not have much for filmmaking..but perhaps on other 3d areas?

prometheus
07-27-2016, 12:42 PM
さようなら
Sayōnara

I love japanese writings, itīs beautiful, though I have no clue on what the signs mean, sayonara I understand, and konichiwa, wakarimasu?
I must look at that old tv series shogun again, that was fun :) you could pick up some words there.haha, well then we got internet know and translate stuff.

Dexter2999
07-27-2016, 12:51 PM
I wonder how china is moving along on 3d industry, maybe they do not have much for filmmaking..but perhaps on other 3d areas?

China has been gaining ground for a while because artists are getting tired of Globe-hopping to chase jobs that move to follow competing subsidies. So the idea has been for companies to create a base of operations in a country with labor at rock bottom prices.

http://variety.com/2013/film/global/ilm-to-pact-with-chinas-base-fx-1200383782/
http://www.oriental-dreamworks.com/
http://deadline.com/2012/04/disney-to-help-develop-chinas-animation-business-via-new-parntership-254560/

Oh, and to the OP, Tokyo is wonderful. Japan is great. I should be so lucky as to actually live there (but I'm not.)

prometheus
07-27-2016, 01:02 PM
so much in japanese culture I would like to discover more, I wonder how the air pollution is in tokyo though..from what I have seen it doesnīt look attractive to be within, maybe they have managed to reduce it drasticly?

bbuxton
07-27-2016, 03:06 PM
Just curious, where are you originally from?
Well japan seem to have been a stronghold, not quite sure about it though..so it may be a good move if you can settle there without to many troubles, at least you do not go to sweden for the sake of job oppertunies related to lightwave.

Thank you for the replies :D

I'm English and to be honest have never really travelled far.
Living in London for 25 years I am lucky to have made friends with people from all over the world.
For this I am exceedingly fortunate.
I met my wife in London, we were just drinking our coffee and chance brought us together.
Her mother teaches calligraphy in Hyogo so at least I can count on some good instruction for my handwriting :D
The air quality is ok in Tokyo, certainly far better than London. The UK really pushed diesel to lower CO2 emissions but deisel is far more damaging to health.
I do need to get used to earthquakes though.

prometheus
07-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Thank you for the replies :D

I'm English and to be honest have never really travelled far.
Living in London for 25 years I am lucky to have made friends with people from all over the world.
For this I am exceedingly fortunate.
I met my wife in London, we were just drinking our coffee and chance brought us together.
Her mother teaches calligraphy in Hyogo so at least I can count on some good instruction for my handwriting :D
The air quality is ok in Tokyo, certainly far better than London. The UK really pushed diesel to lower CO2 emissions but deisel is far more damaging to health.
I do need to get used to earthquakes though.

ah..thought you yourself was immigrated and that made it harder due to brexit, ok.

Well neither London or tokyo is in the top of the pops for good air quality, here in sweden we may be a bit spoiled, even if I live in stockholm wich may be have the highest pollution in sweden, it is comparativly very clean, itīs of course related to population as well as type of industries or what type of energy facilities, living in the suburbs about 2 miles from the sthlm city, I can not ever recal thinking, oh what smog there is, alway when going out it feels fresh, but I am not here to brag about that, itīs just what I am used to and the facts about it, we are also having issues of increased population and pollution from cars and roads that whips up dangerous particles, the level of pollution in the air of stockholm is still too high which may cause diseases or causing people to have problems with it.

I could perhaps imagine myself going for a weekend trip or vacation in tokyo, but I wouldnīt really aim for working and living there with that pollution, the same goes for London.
My niece is over at london and brighton right now...for a shopping week.

May I ask a question of living conditions around london?
I have heard that most people in london donīt drink their tap water..rather bottled water, is that a fair assumption or do I have that wrong?
Here in sweden we mostly definitly drink our water directly from the tap, and has done so for ages, the water quality holds a very high standard (unless something has been broken or some accident has occoured) there was actually a scandal recently where it came to public notice that since the 70īs at one small region in northern part of sweden, the firedepartment have had fire drills and their distinguisher chemicals have leaked out to the daywater and have contaminated the drinking water with toxic chemicals since the 70īs, so you never now even if our politicians says swedens water is one of the best in the world etc, in fact I recall one politicina grabbing some water from the stream in the middle of the city, then drinking it...however, that was really not something to recommend or something that could really prove itīs quality.
We got a lot of purifiers around our lakes and good ones, though it can not properly deal with medical waste products which may go back to drinking water I suspect.

bbuxton
07-27-2016, 05:12 PM
I dream of getting out of the city. I don't like cars very much and never learned to drive. The irony is that I have to live in the heart of the city and traffic.
That said the quality of life is good, in the sense that it is so cosmopolitan and diverse. It is expensive to live here and incomes do not generally keep up with cost of living rises.
London's tap water is ok. It is a hard water area so better to use water softener or filters to get rid of mineral deposits. I never buy bottled water.
The water tasted ok in Tokyo and is much softer than in London. I will save a fortune on detergents and toothpaste as I will only need a fraction of what I use in London. Hard water is healthier though.

prometheus
07-27-2016, 05:26 PM
bbuxton, thanks for the description on your drinking habits :) Have to go back and say it isnīt all true then to my sister, my sister falled a bit in love with london as well as my niece, the gardens, castles and the climate it seems and squirrels etc.

Regarding driving..I donīt like cars either and as you havenīt taking a driving license, which is bad with from a job point of view perhaps, and sometimes I would like to drive off somehwere, living in stockholm some mile from the coast and archipelagos, so if I had a car or motorcycle I could very fast access boat harbours and coast lines for a swim in the ocean (baltic sea)..bicycles work to, though I had an accident as a kid damaging my head with cuncousion..been afraid of sitting on bicycles ever since then...sadly.

But I am an anti-car person because of pollution and the fear of seeing so many accidents.and perhaps I was afraid to fall asleep myself while driving..and also seeing a lot of nutty people driving like crazys, so I try to stay away from sitting in a car
and rely on a bus or train, that said..I can appreciate the beauty of a nice car, I have all the DMI cars as 3d objects, so that isnīt the issue :)

bbuxton
07-27-2016, 05:37 PM
haha..My parents tried to make me learn to drive and for my 17th birthday bought me a full course of lessons. I couldn't keep my eyes open, motion makes me sleepy.
The instructor could not refund my parents fast enough. A lot of creative talent goes into designing a car and so much effort to make them beautiful.
The world would be a better place if public transport could be as alluring as the motor car. The bullet trains come close though :D

prometheus
07-27-2016, 06:13 PM
There was a bit of a hype some years ago..maybe around 2010, around PRT (personal rapid transport) those cabins that goes on rails over the ground, there was one experimental built in colorado, and one in uppsala near stockholm here in sweden, seems it handled the wether just fine, but the infrastructure and network needed seems to be an obsticle, the political parties supporting this method of changing our ways of transport, they changed their minds, not exactly sure what the incitaments were, but I reckoned it would be very expensive to pull off.

Otherwise I really would like to see that work, the idea is the cabins doesn have any driver, and you should be able to go to your station and order a cabin, then the cabin should arrive just a few minutes after that, and the cabin should also go straight to the designated target without any stop between, that sounds great as it is proposed, you get acess to a cabin quite fast, and no middle stop to increase the time it takes...if that would work, but entreprenour planning and design of it all and how it all ends up may vary ofcourse.

Would be great if that could reduce traffic on the ground as well as improve air quality and also reduce car accidents, I may have to investigate a bit more on to why this seem to have come to a halt or a stop, they had a showcase of the cabins here in my commune, and the cabins looked really nice, much better than sitting in a car or bus or a train actually, a bit futuristic.

https://framtidsstaden.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/spartaxi.jpg?w=640

http://www.dn.se/Images/2012/04/16/skycab-1.jpg

bbuxton
07-27-2016, 07:10 PM
The renders are really nice :D

yes normally these things stall over cost. A few years ago I had to do a project for a giant wind turbine the size of a skyscraper. Beautiful project to do but it would be ridiculously expensive and complex to build.
It was the most interesting project I have ever done and the aesthetics fit for the most epic scify movie. Sadly I'm still waiting to be paid for this project....

samurai_x
07-27-2016, 09:32 PM
Maybe apply for english teacher.