PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Continued

Farhad_azer
07-24-2016, 08:37 AM
Hi there,

As i remember shrox had posted an unfinished but impressive robot before the threads went down and i am waiting for his final post.

There was also an excellent post by gentleman that sadly i dont remember the exact id. it would be great if he had posted it again.

Jeric synergy has also participtaed and you can see his work here which is quite nice.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?150811-MODELING-CHALLENGE-lost-in-the-crash-Dagnabit!

But i really am waiting for mTp,unstable and also bellmore and others to enter this contest and as you might remeber we really want to make these contests as popular and serious as it was before.

so lets review the rules again, 120 minutes is the maximum time for modeling and planning time or rendering are free and unlimited and during this you are going to model a robot. the new deadline is 27th July, 12:00 PM local time of Baku,Azerbaijan,

Thanks for your time and attention.

bellmore
07-26-2016, 10:24 AM
I will enter the challenge. I just need to find a couple of hours to do it.

Farhad_azer
07-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Should i wrap this up or wait a little more? i really don't know.

bellmore
07-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Maybe 3 more days?

jeric_synergy
07-29-2016, 12:09 PM
Possibly Mondays are in general good finish lines. Then at least most excuses have expired. ;)

Farhad_azer
07-29-2016, 02:50 PM
OK, this is postponed until Monday 9:00 PM of Baku.

I wish pinkmouse will join too.

MonroePoteet
07-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Sorry to be "offline" for a while! I'll try to get something posted by Monday.

mTp

pinkmouse
07-29-2016, 05:10 PM
OK, this is postponed until Monday 9:00 PM of Baku.

I wish pinkmouse will join too.

What?

Who, me?

What's the challenge? What do I have to make? I'll give it a go! :)

Farhad_azer
07-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Hi pinkmouse, good to see you,
The subject is a robot and time limit is 120 mins as usual.
You probably are angry with some of us.
May i ask jeric synergy to re upload his result in this thread?

pinkmouse
07-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Me, I'm angry with no-one. Disappointed with one particular person, yes. :)

I'll enter if I get time, but I don't want to win as I haven't time to look after the next contest. ;)

jeric_synergy
07-30-2016, 01:10 PM
May i ask jeric synergy to re upload his result in this thread?
I will when I get back to that machine.

Heck, I even have another 40 minutes left on the timer, maybe I'll get those rivets on. --Although, in general, it's a very rubbish design, I mostly wanted to see A) what I could do with the SPLINE GUIDE Tool (it's pretty wacky!) B) how it would be to model with zero planning (what do you know! It's LAME!), and C) where some of my fav plugins have run off to.

jeric_synergy
07-30-2016, 09:03 PM
Didn't get back to the big machine to finish this, and I know it's rubbish, but here it is again: ~90 minutes, no planning.

Plus, you get the rubbish mesh! What a treat!

unstable
07-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Not done. Over the time limit. And no time to spend doing decent materials. But at least I posted something. :D

jeric_synergy
07-31-2016, 03:36 PM
unstable: nice. (Gotta post wires to win though! :) )

I spent a LOT of time looking for tools I coulda sworn were in my config: the SMC is valuable for that, kinda in a "organize your toolbox" way.

Farhad_azer
07-31-2016, 04:40 PM
Thank you fellas for participation,

Really glad to see unstable again and very impressive work.

Again i dont remeber the gentleman who had posted very nice robotic arm, so i will refer to him as X.

Results are as follow,

X:
Modelling=5
Creativity=4
Rendering=5
Expression=4
Total=18

Shrox:
Modeling=4
Creativity=4
Rendering=0
Expression=3
Total=11

Jeric_synergy:
Modeling=3
Creativity=4
Rendering=3
Expression=3
Total=13

unfortunately unstable's excellent work has passed the time limit and can not be considered as entry but again really nice work.

So the winner is X.

Congratulation X, plz re-upload the work here again and go ahead and set the next challenge please.

Thanks again everybody for submissions.

DrStrik9
07-31-2016, 04:43 PM
Didn't get back to the big machine to finish this, and I know it's rubbish, but here it is again: ~90 minutes, no planning.

Plus, you get the rubbish mesh! What a treat!

My favorite part is the floating head. :+) Magnetic magic!

jeric_synergy
07-31-2016, 04:58 PM
:) Thanks for ignoring the "knees"-- Actually, they're why he's on roller skates. :D

But I'm pysched for the next SMC: damn forum crash interrupted the flow! We don't even know who the winner is! (How often does The Wayback Machine cycle thru??)

jeric_synergy
08-01-2016, 05:35 PM
Any word from the mysterious "X"???

I'm pumped and ready!!

Amurrell
08-01-2016, 07:43 PM
This was mine

jeric_synergy
08-01-2016, 07:50 PM
This was mine

Dayum son! Pretty sweet! Just sweat,or special tools? (eg LWCad.)

Farhad_azer
08-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Algebric equation is finally solved, X=Amurrell,
Really sorry for not remebering your name.
Thanks Andrew and congratulations. please go ahead and set the next challenge.

Ztreem
08-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Too late! I know.
Just found this thread a little late, but too fun topic to pass. :D

My take on the robot, ~120 min.

Congrats to Amurrell! Very nice model.

prometheus
08-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Too late! I know.

Thatīs a cute one, maybe sell as the ironbot Cute version, just because it somehow reminds me of ironman, print it and assemble and sell, if managed to get lightweighted, and with a good light source and able to respond to certain commands, it can be nice to have on camping.

unstable
08-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Too late! I know.

Hey, I like this one as well!! Definitely looks like it should have been a character in one of the Pixar films. Very nice.

prometheus
08-03-2016, 01:38 PM
Hey, I like this one as well!! Definitely looks like it should have been a character in one of the Pixar films. Very nice.

The trick..not overdoing it in detail, keeping it relativly simple but yet having a special style and shape that does the work.

By the way Mikael, ( Ztreem) Your homepage link is directed to a site that currently isnīt available.

Farhad_azer
08-03-2016, 02:12 PM
Hi new friends,

Really nice Ztreem, thank you for submission and great job on such an amazing work, i wish you had participated a little earlier,

A couple of word with friends, sadly SMC has not been very popular recently and some of us decided to put more work on making it as past.

There is no need IMO to emphasize its importance on progressing and learning and discovering new possibilities. The good thing is that unstable, mTp and a few others are permanent and contribute all the time. bellmore was also one of the fixed and serious contenders but seems to be invisible recently.

I have no doubt that our very good friend jeric synergy will take it more seriously and i ask others to take it to their consideration so that we can have a fruitful and useful contest which benefits most users.

Amurrell, are you going to post the next challenge?

Ztreem
08-03-2016, 04:09 PM
By the way Mikael, ( Ztreem) Your homepage link is directed to a site that currently isnīt available.

Thank guys!

I will check my profile. I don't have any personal site anymore.

bellmore
08-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Hi new friends,

Really nice Ztreem, thank you for submission and great job on such an amazing work, i wish you had participated a little earlier,

A couple of word with friends, sadly SMC has not been very popular recently and some of us decided to put more work on making it as past.

There is no need IMO to emphasize its importance on progressing and learning and discovering new possibilities. The good thing is that unstable, mTp and a few others are permanent and contribute all the time. bellmore was also one of the fixed and serious contenders but seems to be invisible recently.

I have no doubt that our very good friend jeric synergy will take it more seriously and i ask others to take it to their consideration so that we can have a fruitful and useful contest which benefits most users.

Amurrell, are you going to post the next challenge?

I would have loved to enter this challenge but my new work schedule has put me in a loss of time to participate. I hope i can get a head start on the next challenge. I plan on spending about ten minutes each day to complete the challenge.

bellmore
08-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Great job, Amurrell!. jeric_synergy, it is nice to see you psyched for the next SMC. I am looking forward to the SMC, too.

jeric_synergy
08-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Anything to kill the obsessive "blog" threads.....

Even if the SMC reveals my rubbish skillz. ;)

(Hey bellmore, don't know if you know it, but Moscow used to be a hotbed of LW plugin development! AND, I used to work for the U of I for, what?, 18 months. Good times.) :caffeine:

bellmore
08-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Anything to kill the obsessive "blog" threads.....

Even if the SMC reveals my rubbish skillz. ;)

(Hey bellmore, don't know if you know it, but Moscow used to be a hotbed of LW plugin development! AND, I used to work for the U of I for, what?, 18 months. Good times.) :caffeine:

I didn't know that Moscow used to be a hotbed for LW plugin development. Yeah, I'm a student at the U of I. I have 3 classes left to take for a degree in mathematics.

jeric_synergy
08-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Vertibevel and .... Vertilectric? Two awesome plugins, very useful. Late and lamented. :(

Farhad_azer
08-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Is Amurrell going to post the next challenge? when?

Amurrell
08-07-2016, 08:56 AM
Sorry all, been busy recently so I didn't know I was up to post the new challenge. Give me a moment to think about it and I will post it later tonight or by tomorrow.

Amurrell
08-07-2016, 09:00 AM
@jeric

Just hard work with native LW tools, using falloffs and such, hard surfaces in combination with sub-d, but if you look at it, there are repeated elements so for the joints I just had to model one and repeat it where I needed it. Placement and scale of some of them were more tricky than the modelling.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Well, the clean design and sweet render says it all, very nice. :thumbsup:

I literally spent most of my time searching for tools. Today, for instance, I'm wondering what happened to the 3 different symmetrizing tools I'm pretty sure I've installed in the past. :grumpy:

Looking forward to your Challenge, Amurrell.

Amurrell
08-07-2016, 09:31 AM
New challenge

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?151033-Speed-Modeling-Challenge-273-(post-crash)