PDA

View Full Version : SciFi pics

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Hey, what's up

I decided to post the pics of what takes up the greater part of what little time i get to spend with Lightwave anymore- these scifi-type pics.

I decided that i'm going to post them in the order of creation along with other info about them.

INFO:

This was the one that first started me into this whole fantasy background deal. As you can see, i took this one from a tutorial i found a while back, and im posting it here in homage to whoever it was that made that tut (sorry i cant remember what it was or i'd link it)

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:10 PM
Hey, before i forget, i'd like to apologize for not removing that Watermark "Copyright 2003 Colby Slaybaugh" on the side of "Dendrites." I laid them all out as a template and forgot to hide the layer before i made the jpg.

Back to business:

This is number 2 of 9 i've made so far, it is also the first created without the help of a tutorial. its pretty simple, but i had fun playing around with the surface editor and my newfound keenness (is that a word?) of the whole gradient texture idea...

Let me know what you think

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Im back already, number three is here

This is another one i made, using a tut i found to create the object, then i hooked it up to a particle emitter and then just added another textured environment and pressed the all powerful "F9"

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Number 4: Nerve Network

I had been wanting to make something like this one since i downloaded the GENE plugin, so i did, and this is the result.

This is about the time i became addicted to Depth-of-Field because i hadnt known about Digital Confusion yet.

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:22 PM
I swear i will post all nine of these before the end of the night

Number 5 is something i actually drew-up/doodled in my spare time and thought would make a cool bg. I added a texture displacement to each of the objects to give them additional uniqueness from one another (I actually modelled each individual one)

Particles were taking over my adoration for depth of field at this time

Dont ask me how i came up with this name...

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:27 PM
no witty remarks, just history of the pic

i made this one because i saw it in a dream one night, or so i thought... My friend said that he had seen something like it before, so maybe it was my subconscious trying to recreate something i liked or something... i'm not a psychiatrist, how should i know? Anyway, if anybody agrees with my friend and has seen it somewhere, let me know so i may promptly remove the Copyright Watermark on this one as well.

Thanks

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Up next, a less scifi-y one.

This one was made in under two hours, i was getting more profficient at this whole Lightwave deal...

I played around with various lighting setups and decided on a point light located a little to the left of the center of the picture (if you follow the paths of light back to the source, you'll know what im talking about)

As always, let me know what you guys think.

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Nearing the end...

not much to say about this one, the name says it all...

Tentaclated

What the hell does that mean? I dont know, but apparently it is what is in this picture...

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:41 PM
ok, last of the scifi ones, and perhaps the one that im most proud of

ATTN: "Fruit of the Loom" people,

Please dont sue me. I didnt steal your slogan for profit, im not selling this picture. It is meant solely as a pun on the subject matter.

Besides, i put it in quotations....

BTW: I thought i might mention my level of fondness for "Corona" at this time. (The plugin, not the drink, which is good in its own right)

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:48 PM
Ok, I lied.

I actualy have ten pics to post.

Ok, so i lied twice.

The eighth picture in the series, which was supposed to be called "Tentaclated" had a misprint, i forgot to change the text before i exported it.

Ok, is it so wrong if i lied three times?

This picture is the REAL Hiemal Hiatus (Hiemal = Latin word for Winter) and, no, it isnt a scifi pic. I feel i must apoligize to all my loyal friends, which, after reading and looking throuhg ten of my most prized creations, everyone who is reading this message is.

Thanks, and please dont be mad at the huge page-load time...

Capriko218
12-11-2003, 11:53 PM
Alrighty (you can tell im from texas)

This is my last post of the night.

Now that i've been stoic and taken the time to post everything at once, two things are in order:

1) The letting loose of bottled up emotions.

:) :( :o :D :cool:

2) It's your turn. Lets fill this post up with replies! I'm the kinda guy who needs feedback, let me know your honest opinions about my work. Im eager to read these replies!!!

Thanks again
Capriko

knuckles644
12-11-2003, 11:59 PM
magic bevel for the trees? or something else? Anyways, I think that last one is really nice:)

veljko
12-12-2003, 12:40 AM
Hi-
great images!

did you use any special plugins for thoes or is it just clever surface manipulation?

and ive noticed a BAD habit people developed lately of posting loads of images in one thread..I hope thats not the wave of the future cos IMHO its bad-
Its like when you go to a great museum- After 10 Van Goghs you really are not that excited to see the 11th...
Same goes for images in a thread..

anyways cool stuff!:)

renatolazzaroni
12-12-2003, 05:56 AM
The trees image looks great. I like the sense of depth.
The textures in the "microscope" pics are stunning. Number 3 is my favorite.
Nothing to crit, really.

Renato

muzzy
12-12-2003, 07:19 AM
hımmm great work... and ı like first image!

cathuria
12-12-2003, 08:38 AM
A delightful series of images -- thanks!

Niklas
12-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Hello,
Nice images! I created the tutorial for the first one, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

If anyone is interested, the tutorial can be found here > http://www.cgfocus.com/ArticleDetails.cfm?ArticleID=194

starbase1
12-12-2003, 10:33 AM
As you ghave so many neat microscope style ones, have you considered combining them and making a chunk of video?

Congratulations on a distinctive personal style.

Nick