PDA

View Full Version : NewTek NDI for Adobe Creative Cloud

JohnnyRandom
07-20-2016, 12:24 PM
So, I have a question in regards to this. Apart from absolutely despising a "subscription" model.

Will Newtek being releasing concurrent updates for this plugin on Adobes update schedule?

Thanks

SBowie
07-20-2016, 12:50 PM
I don't think NewTek can anticipate Adobe releases, but we're pretty prompt with fixes when forces outside our control break something. This said, I think they'd pretty much have to bust their own preview system to cause a problem. (On the plus side, you're kind of making an argument for the benefits of 'renting' software, versus buying it outright. In a subscription model, the necessity of providing prompt bugfixes for critical issues is obvious.)

stoecklem
07-20-2016, 02:38 PM
I was pretty dissapointed in the subscription model for this, especially after a press release at NAB said it was going to be $99, then I guess Newtek changed their mind. I can't know if there are plans for adding any new features, but to me subscription models also make sense when new features are consistently added.

NDI for creative cloud looks great and does its job to get NDI out of Premiere and After Effects, but the potential and need for new features doesn't seem to be there. I'm sure I'll still fork out the money whenever I get a computer that runs it.

JohnnyRandom
07-21-2016, 03:41 PM
I ask as this is extremely important if you are intending to integrate this into a workflow, particularly a live scheduled workflow.

Thanks, it is more comforting to know that. I am generally speaking in terms of SDK breaks, I have no idea how often Adobe breaks their SDK. I know some other tools I beta for often break SDK every other full version and plugin devs that aren't directly in the beta/developer network often take a few months to get up to date, while the ones that are in network often release days or weeks after full versions.

We have in all reality always been "renting" software. It just came down to the user, whether they wanted to reward the developer for doing a good job by paying for upgrades. :) Quarterly or so hotfixes and patches used to the norm up until 7-8 years ago. I have been on 3ds max subs for over a decade, as well as some other very expensive simulation tools. I have resisted Adobes plan for as long as possible, mainly because the "features" released have not been necessary or even at all useful for what I do, certainly not worth $600 a year (at normal rates). Over these years I have really seen but little in the regards of benefit for the larger user base (lol another example; apart from three settings photoshop still can't fully adjust the color of the UI). It has just gotten more expensive, particularly for us freelance types, to do business. I pay thousands of dollars annually to maintain all of my licenses, it simply gets tiresome watching all this money go out without any real benefit to help me do what I do better, faster, or cheaper. At this point I would take even one of those three. :D