PDA

View Full Version : DPKit "Bump Normal" node in animation renders

Chernoby
07-19-2016, 01:26 PM
I just thought I'd share this with the community. I have been getting WAY cleaner renders (more accurate displacement simulation obviously BUT way less flicker) especially with Monte Carlo and Final Gather when I just swap out the bump input with the DPKit's "Bump Normal" node that translates bump maps into normal maps. It's also more flexible as you can use the nodes as you would with any image maps.

Dan Ritchie
07-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Example?

50one
07-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Example?

Curious too!

Chernoby
07-20-2016, 06:12 PM
I don't have time to load up any examples currently. But I've been rendering out about 3 shots a night (500 frame average) for the last 3 weeks and in all of them if I'm using UV Image Mapped rust and grunge with bump maps there is flickering (radiosity flickering and just texture flickering). The BUMP NORMAL node completely eliminated it. Anoher note is all the rendering is using DOF and Morion Blur with only one pass with adaptive sampling. Extra passes would probably smooth out the flicker but with the Bump Normal node I find they are not necessary so my render times are reduced dramatically.