PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back, forums.

DrStrik9
07-18-2016, 01:28 PM
I was beginning to have withdrawals. :+)

shrox
07-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Are we dead? Is this the afterlife? A forum?

wibly wobly
07-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Glad this is back up and running. Was anything lost? I'm thinking specifically of all the tips and tricks that have been posted here over the years.

S0nny
07-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Glad this is back up and running. Was anything lost? I'm thinking specifically of all the tips and tricks that have been posted here over the years.

Looks like the last 2-3 months are missing, at least from the date of the lastest threads on the forum there's nothing after the 7th of May

I don't know if the lastest forums state was corrupted or what, and I'm sorry to be that guy, but: 3 months intervall it's not exactly something I'd call "a backup".

js33
07-18-2016, 02:55 PM
Looks like the last 2-3 months are missing, at least from the date of the lastest threads on the forum there's nothing after the 7th of May

I don't know if the lastest forums state was corrupted or what, and I'm sorry to be that guy, but: 3 months intervall it's not exactly something I'd call "a backup".

They probably wanted to hide all the asking for blog posts about LW next. We are a pernicious bunch. :beerchug:

prometheus
07-18-2016, 03:00 PM

Hopefully they are restoring it piece by piece months and years back...and yes, 3 months would be a joke, I am expecing at least 2 years back..minimum.
It would really be a sad thing if we lost all those valuable threads back in the years, and if they havenīt done any backup years back..that would really be tragic for the community I think...I would actually shake my head in complete
"I just canīt understand it" if they havenīt backed it up some years back.
guess we have to wait and see ..before we attack with the whining axe and curse words:2guns:

SBowie
07-18-2016, 03:15 PM
Hopefully they are restoring it piece by piece months and years back...and yes, 3 months would be a joke, I am expecing at least 2 years back..minimum.It's the other way round - we didn't lose everything up to some point in the past, we lost everything after a specific point. Bummer. And yes, this used to be backed up daily, but at some point a while back during some maintenance operation it was set to monthly, and then the original period was never restored. Sucks, but frankly I'd rather have lost the last two months or so than everything that came before.

Dexter2999
07-18-2016, 03:18 PM
Glad to see it back up.

Sorry, they missed the opportunity to move the LW threads to a new forum Lightwave3d.com

S0nny
07-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Sucks, but frankly I'd rather have lost the last two months or so than everything that came before.

There's so much information on this forum that would be a huge loss for the lw community.
Sooo, the backup is set daily again now, right? :D

DrStrik9
07-18-2016, 04:20 PM

Yes, we have died, and this is the afterlife. (No forum required.) :+)

MichaelT
07-18-2016, 04:41 PM

:D

Here's the original file if you want to make one yourself: 133745
It is of course a frame out of the excellent Kung Fury short by David Sandberg.

And it is nice to see that everything is back again.

pinkmouse
07-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Glad to see it back up.

Sorry, they missed the opportunity to move the LW threads to a new forum Lightwave3d.com

Indeed, a missed opportunity, but well done to all the backstage folks for sorting it all out.

MichaelT
07-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Hopefully they are restoring it piece by piece months and years back...and yes, 3 months would be a joke, I am expecing at least 2 years back..minimum.
It would really be a sad thing if we lost all those valuable threads back in the years, and if they havenīt done any backup years back..that would really be tragic for the community I think...I would actually shake my head in complete
"I just canīt understand it" if they havenīt backed it up some years back.
guess we have to wait and see ..before we attack with the whining axe and curse words:2guns:

Could be much worse.. it could all be gone. In the great scheme of things, its good enough. If they manage to restore things, I'd consider it a bonus.

zapper1998
07-18-2016, 06:13 PM
wow lost 3 months of stuff dang...

opps

prometheus
07-18-2016, 06:18 PM
It's the other way round - we didn't lose everything up to some point in the past, we lost everything after a specific point. Bummer. And yes, this used to be backed up daily, but at some point a while back during some maintenance operation it was set to monthly, and then the original period was never restored. Sucks, but frankly I'd rather have lost the last two months or so than everything that came before.

That... I find acceptable to some degree, a bit sad if you guys canīt restore it all so if you have lost a whole month, that is a bummer, a week or a few days itsnīt the whole world perhaps..and I agree with you, I rather loose two latest month than everything before...still, it stings if it is two whole months and not just one month...but, to put it to perspective and in positive thinking, I can only shout out with excitement like ...Itīs alive...Itīs alive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuoKNZjr8_U

saranine
07-18-2016, 06:42 PM
The United Nations condemns this act of psychological cruelty: people with a pathological need to complain about Lightwave were denied their fix for over a week.

djwaterman
07-18-2016, 06:53 PM
I often tell myself, "these people mean nothing to me, I don't know them, I'll never meet them, they're just faceless names on the internet". However I can't deny feeling a chunk missing out of my world while the forums were down, funny eh?

SBowie
07-18-2016, 06:55 PM
Sooo, the backup is set daily again now, right? :DMan, I hope so. There is some muttering about moving to a different type of forum. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. As fractious as it sometimes is, I'd hate to lose the community I've enjoyed (mostly) for so many years.

prometheus
07-18-2016, 07:53 PM
I often tell myself, "these people mean nothing to me, I don't know them, I'll never meet them, they're just faceless names on the internet". However I can't deny feeling a chunk missing out of my world while the forums were down, funny eh?

So what to do then?...go to a bar and discuss something with small talk without any real interest that matches?..and perhaps when you are drunk and talks to another drunk dude:D that might be fun for a while and even funnier for a longer term if you find your date for an evening or the woman/man of your life.

lets face it..we are addicts here with the same interest...to whine :)

Seriously I think there is an addictive factor about these forums as social media, apart from actually solving issues and sharing knowledge, many of us..(not all ) have these common interests of 3d or graphics...and cats ofcourse, Itīs not often you stumble upon these persons in Real life sorry to say, maybe it is tragic to spend time here discussing with folks you only know by these written words..hidden behind aging avatars:D

I reckon if One is a frequent lurker and forum debater here on the forums, that must have got the brain producing endorphines to some certain level, so when the forum goes down, those people probably get abstinence by it, or did we go...ah, nice...now I can go for a walk and be social in other ways? like go on and search for pokemons in the park or city or whatever:D

ncr100
07-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Man, I hope so. There is some muttering about moving to a different type of forum. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. As fractious as it sometimes is, I'd hate to lose the community I've enjoyed (mostly) for so many years.

1) @SBowie you're almost at 2^14 posts (currently 16,374), or you probably already surpassed it during the past three months and get to do it all over again, real soon now
2) Is there a better idea than vbulletin for maintaining community? Managed vbulletin where you pay someone external to do backups? Today's restoration works which is cool. Would you agree though this is a captivating paradox, losing 3 months of "it's been 3 months since the last LW blog post" conversations?

Kaptive
07-19-2016, 02:15 AM
Man, I hope so. There is some muttering about moving to a different type of forum. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. As fractious as it sometimes is, I'd hate to lose the community I've enjoyed (mostly) for so many years.

To be honest, having seen the forum down, and it saying about upgrades, I kind of hoped and assumed that when it came back online we'd have a proper shiney new forum with a much more visual style (that helps shows off LW). So when I popped back and saw this old dog again, (and to find out that all the posts I've written for my WIP blog were gone), I just groaned, sighed, and feel very unmotivated to bother coming here much again. Lightwave needs its own forum, not shared with Tricaster. For sure, leave this one running for the Tricaster folks, which allows access to the older LW posts too (which is important)... but really, time to move on.

jwiede
07-19-2016, 04:07 AM
Starting to wonder if we were better off with the forum offline (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?150799-Wait-did-you-just-email-me-my-password&p=1475328&viewfull=1#post1475328).

S0nny
07-19-2016, 04:13 AM
Starting to wonder if we were better off with the forum offline (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?150799-Wait-did-you-just-email-me-my-password&p=1475328&viewfull=1#post1475328).

Wow... I guess I'll not try to change the old password, which at this point is more secure.

50one
07-19-2016, 09:12 AM

Haha, same here. I think the downtime and "purge" of all the negativity in the past three months was the best thing that could happen to this place lol.

ianr
07-19-2016, 10:05 AM
2.S.Bowie,
Just a thought could future tweaks reorder the forum page so we see as
to whether you are registered Newtek Hardware user or LW3DG user
Or came through on the respective links. Or a toggable selector for
us to set a receivable page loader of our product first?

Weĺl thanks to U & Chuck & the team for finding the 'Laszarus' button.

BTW. That page colour could it be 80's Porche Champagne, very re-retro

MichaelT
07-19-2016, 12:06 PM

I think you really don't want to know how many places handle your passwords (or even worse.. fingerprints) poorly :) Use tools like KeePass, and store individual passwords for everything. Then it all becomes much less of a problem.

raymondtrace
07-19-2016, 04:09 PM
I think you really don't want to know how many places handle your passwords (or even worse.. fingerprints) poorly :)

Here's a good (and safe) place to know if your online credentials have been swiped (Adobe/Sony/Ashley/etc).
https://haveibeenpwned.com/

shrox
07-19-2016, 04:44 PM

Message me about that stuff!

BokadCastle
07-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Lightwave needs its own forum, not shared with Tricaster.

I suggested the very same idea a couple of months ago to Bowie and he reacted quite negatively.

prometheus
07-19-2016, 05:34 PM
I suggested the very same idea a couple of months ago to Bowie and he reacted quite negatively.

Iīm a bit split about that, I rather see a consolidation of the lightwave section groups ordered under one main Lightwave group, and put it almost at the top of the main groups, then if that group can contain other lightwave groups, that would make it easier to navigate and acess stuff only related to lightwave, itīs just to much scattered around right now and has been for a while, having it this way will still present the option of acessing general discussions, without us otherwise going to a completly different site, then back here to check general discussions, the lightwave 3d support could be moved under lightwave 3d community just as everything else related to it, lightwave 3d discussion etc.

simply put there are too many lightwave sections in main groups, Only one is needed and make subgroups based on that.
And as said for a long long time now, do something about the gallery section and present thumbs of it all.

BokadCastle
07-19-2016, 05:42 PM
OK, fine.
It looks, however, that the opportunity has been missed.

SBowie
07-19-2016, 06:18 PM
I suggested the very same idea a couple of months ago to Bowie and he reacted quite negatively.Nonsense, I've been saying the same thing myself for years, and many people and a number of posts here can attest.

BokadCastle
07-19-2016, 06:50 PM
Rubbish Bowie, amongst other things you suggested I look at the top left corner of the forum page and see the word "Newtek".
So nice to re-engage but I hope your comment is nothing more than a memory lapse.

BokadCastle
07-19-2016, 08:56 PM
Actually I stand corrected, it may be me who had a memory lapse.

BokadCastle
07-19-2016, 09:03 PM
At no point did Bowie say he was against the forums being compartmentalised.
So I was wrong in my assumption.
He just didn't like my cheeky way of saying things and told me to rack off.

paulhart
07-19-2016, 09:46 PM
If I need to learn anything about the rest of Newtek (Video TriCaster, etc.) I can easily go to the main page, but, for me, I have had the same custom BookMark, which was created by someone else (sorry, I can't remember and somewhere in the 'lost' threads, someone told me who it was, sorry!) [Oddly suspicious that the last two(2) months were lost. How many of us work without ongoing backups??? So we lost all of the moaning about where is the next blog, release, etc. I imagine Newtek just figures, 'whoops.' Now about that backup strategy??] Anyway, here is my 'hack' to be a Lightwave only visitor, (forums.newtek.com/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=229,178,225,183,184,263,294,283,222,223,23 1,259,212,213,19,34,35,36,37,38,175,155,41,42,40,7 5,112,245,246,247,103,104,106,131,105,109,107,128, 108,46,47,48,49,82,83,84,85)
I should be able to just visit Lightwave forums without the hack, and it should have featured work by Lightwave artists, right, just like a regular forum. I should be able to select which parts of the forum I want to routinely visit, as a User Option. Sorry to be a nudge, but I really like Lightwave (since version 6.5??) and I really am tired. I had hoped that the 'down' forum would be the opportunity for this change. Wrong again. Oh, well.

50one
07-20-2016, 01:06 AM
I had the same "wish", thought that the downtime would be a perfect time to clean & upgrade functionality...

ianr
07-20-2016, 08:14 AM
Still got BUY CHrōnoscuplt Button,
Still got BUY Nevron Button
Why.?

Farhad_azer
07-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Hi Lightwavers,

Missed you guys.

jasonwestmas
07-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Hi Lightwavers,

Missed you guys.

Hi!!

pnelson
07-20-2016, 08:35 PM
Welcome back everyone! ;)

Snosrap
07-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Welcome back everyone! ;)

CRO - is that new?

Spinland
07-21-2016, 08:47 AM
Just tossing out a "Me too!" post because this forum being down left a Newtek-shaped hole in my list of ways to procrastinate online instead of working. :D

SBowie
07-21-2016, 02:31 PM
I never procrastinate. (Instead, I defer things.)

Spinland
07-21-2016, 02:56 PM
I never procrastinate. (Instead, I defer things.)

:jester:

MichaelT
07-21-2016, 04:14 PM
CRO - is that new?

Don't scare me like that :) My heart jumped.