PDA

View Full Version : Excellent programming resource

Dan Ritchie
07-18-2016, 09:43 AM
Coding rainbow starts with the "Nature of Code" series which basically introducing coding by writing a physics engine, and moves on to bigger and better things yet. Great way to learn code, or just learn new things if you're already a coder. Fun to watch, too.

Metballs
Physics systems
Autonomous agents
Flocking/swarming
Computer vision
coding for the Connect
Menger sponge
Image/video processing
geometry
superspheres
Mandelbrots/julia

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvjgXvBlbQiydffZU7m1_aw

MichaelT
07-18-2016, 04:57 PM
I love it when people share like this.. Great for kids too I think. Unfortunately not many kids are into programming these days. There will be serious shortage of (especially good) programmers in the future I'm afraid.

Greenlaw
07-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Thanks for posting that Dan. Will definitely check it out.

As for kids and code, my 9 year old has been teaching herself Scratch, which is a free 'beginner' coding platform, and she really loves it. Surprisingly, she's using it mainly as an animation platform but I'm not about to tell her there are easier ways to do that. Well, not yet anyway. :)

Dan Ritchie
07-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Easier is subjective

Greenlaw
07-19-2016, 10:24 AM
Oh, I meant easier ways to animate characters, not write code. But yeah, I know what you mean. :)

Anyway, she's already learned she can bring in elements from various sources, so it's probably better to wait for her to ask. For now, I think she's learning and having fun, and I don't want to meddle with that.