PDA

View Full Version : Snapping in LW

Schwyhart
05-05-2016, 11:08 AM
I'm trying to line up a loop of edges to another edge, but only in one axis.
Without using a plugin how would I do this?

I've tried Snap Drag and it didn't work how I though. I am probably doing it wrong though.

hrgiger
05-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Select the points that make up the loop of edges and choose connected points or all points in the numeric panel and move them to the edge you want to snap them to.

To be honest though, I don't use LW snapping at all, its really not that good. Do yourself a favor at some point and invest in LWCAD. It will cover your snapping needs.

Schwyhart
05-05-2016, 11:30 AM
I plan on buying LWCAD at some point, but right now it's not in my budget and I want to see what happens in Next first.

prometheus
05-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Thereīs no real edge snap as I know of, but if you use snap drag, I would suggest this..if you select the edge in edge move, use snap drag, but change the snap drag mode to connected points, you got one point, connected points and all points.

so when you drag the selected edge will follow, and not the other unselected edges, but you have to pick and drag from the end points of the edge and it will only snap to other edges points.

You may also want to use transform/axis translate..and if you check all the availabe hud mode options, you can pick edge and move it to snapp to other edges, you should select the edges you want, then use the axis translate tool..or else the other segments will also move.

jwiede
05-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Thereīs no real edge snap as I know of, but if you use snap drag, I would suggest this..if you select the edge in edge move, use snap drag, but change the snap drag mode to connected points, you got one point, connected points and all points.

so when you drag the selected edge will follow, and not the other unselected edges, but you have to pick and drag from the end points of the edge and it will only snap to other edges points.

You may also want to use transform/axis translate..and if you check all the availabe hud mode options, you can pick edge and move it to snapp to other edges, you should select the edges you want, then use the axis translate tool..or else the other segments will also move.

Yeah, sounds like it might be a great candidate for axis translate.

prometheus
05-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Yeah, sounds like it might be a great candidate for axis translate.

itīs good when you know how to use it..save with the transform/transform..after you have positioned an item with the axis translate, you can use that, in the numeric tab...use the chooe pivot and hover over the point connection where the pieces might be lined up, that will snap the gizmo to that point, and you can then use the gizmo to rotate the item as you want.

Schwyhart
05-05-2016, 03:09 PM

Sorry for the any weirdness I do in this. I'm still trying to figure out LW.
Anyway, I would like to select the loop shown in the video and snap it to the wall on the right, but only in the Z axis.
This is super easy in Modo 801, but I'm sure it is just as easy in LW if I knew how to do it.
In Modo all I doo is select the edge loop, turn on snapping and make sure it's set to vertex and then snap it using the transform gizmo.
In Lightwave....I'm confused.

*The above is gif.

Oedo 808
05-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Sorry for the any weirdness I do in this. I'm still trying to figure out LW.
Anyway, I would like to select the loop shown in the video and snap it to the wall on the right, but only in the Z axis.
This is super easy in Modo 801, but I'm sure it is just as easy in LW if I knew how to do it.
In Modo all I doo is select the edge loop, turn on snapping and make sure it's set to vertex and then snap it using the transform gizmo.
In Lightwave....I'm confused.

I'm not sure what snapping tools can help (aside from LWCAD), but if you need to align things along the axes, you can select the element you want to align to, use assign pivot (I use PivotBB (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/pivotbb/), as I've found it more reliable), set the action centre as pivot then select the element you want to move and use stretch to scale it to zero. Perhaps not super easy but not super difficult.

pming
05-05-2016, 04:23 PM
Hiya.

I use that "Transformation Gizmo Thingie". Here's how I do it: https://youtu.be/LH4wa0yzLjY

That said...I'd still MUCH rather have snapping like in MODO that's for damn sure! Blender too...it has some pretty nice snapping capabilities (shame about the interface though...I have some kind of mental deficiency that prevents my brain from remembering 80% of blender...and I've been trying off and on to learn Blender since it was still owned by NaN specifically for development for the NeoGeo game console! ...yeah, I'm kind of old...).

gerry_g
05-05-2016, 04:28 PM
make selection as per demo gif, select snap drag tool and hold down control (this is on a Mac so whatever for Windows), select what yo want to align, move it up and down in required axis just to check it;s constraint properly, now while you have it moving slide the cursor over to what you want to snap to, practice cuz you will use this technique a lot once you've mastered it

MonroePoteet
05-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Hiya.

I use that "Transformation Gizmo Thingie". Here's how I do it: https://youtu.be/LH4wa0yzLjY

That said...I'd still MUCH rather have snapping like in MODO that's for damn sure! Blender too...it has some pretty nice snapping capabilities (shame about the interface though...I have some kind of mental deficiency that prevents my brain from remembering 80% of blender...and I've been trying off and on to learn Blender since it was still owned by NaN specifically for development for the NeoGeo game console! ...yeah, I'm kind of old...).

Nice hint! The tool is the Transform tool. The default hotkey is ALT-t. After doing the Select Pivot, you can just type 0 into the Z-Scale input box.

mTp

prometheus
05-05-2016, 05:16 PM
To me it doesnīt look like you are trying to snap edges to other edges or point, it seems you want to align that loop to match the position of the edges/point on the wall inside of the room, otherwise you would have a very wonky building I suppose :)
so what you would like is a perpendicular guide so the loop snaps when the perpendicular guide matches that wall, lw cad is great for that I think, not sure if pictrix has some kind of move tool that works that way..he might, I know he has some other tools with great snap functions.

other wise I would just select the loop in point mode, in top view and in wireframe mode so you get alll selected, then select top points of that wall inside of the room as the last selection points, then use modify/translate/align to last points z axis. and the loop only will be transformed and the loop will be straight and matched up to line up with that walls edge..super easy if you know it.

you can use the axis translate tool to do this too, if you hold ctrl in and right click on the loop, you will get an extend direction hud guide if you move it up in the top view then to the right and you will get the perpendicular guide and can match that to the wall edge....though I have to record this and show you..if that is how I think you want it in the end...

prometheus
05-05-2016, 05:25 PM
here you go, I hope this is something you want in terms of end result?

You can get a perpendicular guide..but you have to move the mouse in that direction.

Select edge loop you want to align..

hold ctrl down and use right mouse button click and drag up and then drag right to match edge or point in the perpendicular direction, then just release mouse and keyboard button..and the selected loop should snap to match up aligned with whatever you match it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8R2UgYp8UE

Snosrap
05-05-2016, 08:21 PM
How about SP Move from Pictrix. It is 32bit only but it is one of the better snapping move tools out there.

Schwyhart
05-05-2016, 08:30 PM
That seems to be what I need. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I'll look into the plugins you all mentioned as well...if they're free....on a tight budget for a while.