PDA

View Full Version : TriCaster mini streaming question.

ingeborgdot
05-04-2016, 02:30 PM
I am reading and watching but still have a question about streaming. If my cameras are an HD camcorder Panasonic AG-AC90 to be exact but I want to capture and record in the highest possible for things, (1080i), can I do this and stream? If I understand properly your stream from this is at 720p. I may just be dreaming as I am not done watching and reading but is this correct? Is there anyone that can give me a couple short pointers about this? Thanks so much.

kanep
05-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Recording and streaming do not have to be the same. For the answers below I'm assuming a current model TriCaster.

The TriCaster will recording either in the source format of the camera (if recording an input) or in the format of the output (typically the session format).

For streaming, the max resolution will depend on what software edition you are running.

If you use Standard Edition software (what comes out of the box with the system), the highest streaming quality is 720.

If you upgrade to Advanced Edition software, the highest streaming quality is 1080.

ingeborgdot
05-04-2016, 04:42 PM
It is a brand new TriCaster Mini with standard edition software. So, I was reading it right but I was also seeing the 1080 too which was confusing me and that is for the AE software, okay. I just don't know if the extra money for the AE is worth it for me or not?
Now let me get this straight. If I want to record in 1080 because that is what it will be feeding it I will have to set it to record the input? Would the output be considered the stream? Or what I put to program? or what? Ignorance here, sorry. I am still learning. The mini has many more options than the 40 V2 did, that's for sure.

SBowie
05-04-2016, 04:49 PM
The streaming output characteristics are controlled by the settings in the Streaming module, and are not directly tied to either the record or session format. That said, typically, the session format would be as high or higher than the desired streaming format. In a 1080i format session, you can record outputs at 1080i, regardless of whether you are streaming at 1080, 720 or something else. Inputs not assigned to an output are recorded at their native resolution.

ingeborgdot
05-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Got it. Steve, do you feel the AE software is worth the extra money?

kanep
05-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Advanced Editions adds about 100 new features over Standard Edition.

If you haven't checked out, the Advanced Edition web page gives you a good idea of what is added.
http://www.newtek.com/products/tricaster-advanced-edition.html

I think it is a very worthwhile upgrade, but perhaps some other people can chime in.

fgolman
05-04-2016, 06:47 PM
Not sure if you are, or are thinking of using macros, but AE is worth it just for the pause feature in macros!

Feel free to ask any questions about it. I would DEFINITELY do it.

We're on AE V1 for now, but will be migrating to V2 soon. That would be the only consideration as to which version to use.

Fritz Golman
Museum of Broadcast Communications

SBowie
05-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Steve, do you feel the AE software is worth the extra money?I think I'm on record as saying that to me, there are a number of individual features in either variant of AE that all by themselves are enough to justify the upgrade cost in my books. Comp, for example, are extremely important; four complete 4x4 audio routers in the mixer is another one; DataLink still another; DDR transitions; vastly improved replay funtionality ... I could go on. :)