PDA

View Full Version : What are the best Morion Blur Plug Ins for AE?

robertoortiz
05-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Hey guys,I am buying an Motion Blur plugin for AE to complement my LW renders.
Any suggestions?
-R

sukardi
05-03-2016, 11:25 PM
It may not be the best, but the built in timewarp module works quite well. Just set speed to 100% and tick motion blur...

squarewulf
05-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Probably ReelSmart Motion Blur (http://revisionfx.com/products/rsmb/)

You render out motion vectors in LW and RSMB reads them in AE. The results i've seen look pretty good.

Ztreem
05-04-2016, 02:41 AM
Not a plugin to AE but fusion works great for motion blur its also free.

Danner
05-04-2016, 02:58 AM
Reel Smart also works without motion vectors, it looks fine on pretty much anything but fine vertical lines.

vipvip242
05-04-2016, 03:04 AM
the integrated motion-blur plugin in AE works very well indeed in most of the cases but i'm still looking for a faster solution, which would use CUDA... the top would be a cuda MB plugin into premiere CC... no announcement from Adobe at this point Neither REDGIANT or THe Foundry proposes this too...

Greenlaw
05-04-2016, 12:43 PM
ReelSmart is better but the native Pixel Motion Blur is pretty good too. Some pros and cons:

ReelSmart is faster. And not just a little, it's way faster.

ReelSmart can use Motion Vector data from LightWave, which is way more accurate than pixel tracked motion blur alone (i.e., ReelSmart without Motion Vectors or AE's Pixel Motion Blur.)

ReelSmart seems to be more efficient about RAM. I haven't actually tested this but I seem to run out of RAM more often with AE's native plugin.

Both ReelSmart and AE's Pixel Motion Blur do a decent job but ReelSmart seems to generate far fewer artifacts. Sometimes they each may just produce different artifacts so if you have both tools to work with, you have a choice about which looks better.

ReelSmart is a separate commerical tool. AE's Pixel Motion Blur comes with AE.

A little OT but, for CGI renders, I prefer embedding motion vectors in my LightWave exr files and using Fusion's Vector Blur tool. exrTrader works perfectly for this. If you set the default channel names correctly, Fusion will recognize the vector data in the LightWave render automatically when you feed it into Vector Blur. With AE and ReelSmart, using vector data is a bit clunky but it works there too--it's just a whole lot easier to do this in Fusion.

FYI, in the Hearts Like Fists (http://littlegreendog.com/2016/02/16/hearts-like-fists-animated-titles/) titles we created last year, we used AE's native Pixel Motion Blur, so it works really well for 2D cartoons too.

souzou
05-04-2016, 01:04 PM
+1 for RSMB

gerardstrada
05-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Ae's Pixel MB works well as auto-detected mblur. RSMB Pro works also quite well without vectors as Danner says. Just in case you need to use vectors, there are some ways here (http://lightwiki.pro/wiki/Multipass_Rendering_with_Filter_Node_Editors#Motio n_Vectors_for_RSMB_.28Update.29) for exporting a RSMB pass with DP NIF. Take a look to Michael Wolf's simplified setup.

http://lightwiki.pro/mediawiki/images/6/6f/Fig37c.png

Btw, have the idea The Foundry Kronos uses CUDA acceleration.

Gerardo

Greenlaw
05-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the info and link Gerardo! I had no idea all that useful stuff was over on Light-Wiki. I really need to visit that site more often. :)

sukardi
05-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Just realised that AE Pixel Motion Blur is a stripped down version from Timewarp module. Never knew it existed before. Thank you

Greenlaw
05-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Yes, Timewarp is super useful too. It's essentially the native version of ReelSmart's Twixtor plugin.

But like RSMB, Twixtor is more robust, efficient and capable than Timewarp--basically the same pros and cons apply. Not to dismiss Timewarp (it works great too!) but it's a case of, you get what you pay for.

kopperdrake
05-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Twixtor and RSMB, the only two plugins I've ever bought for AE :)

gerardstrada
05-05-2016, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the info and link Gerardo! I had no idea all that useful stuff was over on Light-Wiki. I really need to visit that site more often. :)

Glad it helps Greenlaw! please, feel free to share with some articles too (FFX, SSS, 3D printing, etc, etc). Have some other info would like to share but for some reason I can not even edit in lightwiki anymore.

Anyway, interesting thread!

Gerardo