PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave for VFX

THIBAULT
05-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Seems Lightwave was used for VFX parts of this film ! Good !
https://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/vfx-of-kill-command-incl-before-afters/

prometheus
05-03-2016, 11:04 AM
yes..it is mentioned in two words in the beginning of the article, for the texturing and rendering of the drones, while the main robots rendered in arnold...to be fair there is much information of what type of other software they used except for this and after effects.

So lightwave could have been used more, or simply some other 3d modeling must have been imployed utilizing other software...which we donīt get any insight about.

Makes me wonder though, if they got acess to arnold and was so impressed with itīs realistic renderer, why do they not send the drones over to arnold, instead rendering that seperatly with lightwave? maybe the person responsible for that could manage to do it faster and with good enough quality in lightwave since he had that in front of him..and perhaps he himself didnīt had arnold availale... and maybe by simply skipping the process of transfering the asset to arnold they could save time and money... which otherwise may have had result in extra time to get it right with textures etc?

Michael

rustythe1
05-03-2016, 01:53 PM
http://www.newtek.com/media-resources-test/tc40-media-resources/tc40-images/cat_view/93-pr-support-content.html
you might want to take a look at this list, I think its quite a substantial list, (and the amount of times I see on the forums that lightwave is behind all the others in terms of use and sales, but if its used in almost every film or tv show out there, even if it was used in a small way, it means it had to be purchased to be listed in that project, that's a lot of seats)

prometheus
05-03-2016, 03:27 PM
I think presenting a list in that way is quite useless marketing wise, may have worked in older days, a focus on the feature films, and tv series and take a serius look which was successful, then gather articles about how lightwave was used in that movie by some artist would be a really good selling point, providing it doesnīt happen to be a list with the name avatar, and then only preproduction..sure that may have a value, but not at the same level as where it was used for final shots etc.

e-onsoftware (vue) does a good job at that I think, they have some showcase categories, where blockbusters and tv shows is presented in poster list, not just a written text list, may sound silly but in fact more interesting and appealing and recognizable for any potential customer.
apart from those poster lists..which donīt tell anything more, just like lightwaveīs list donīt tell anything...e-on also presents it with a spotlight, where some of these blockbuster so tv shows is presented more closely with articles from studios and artists.

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/spotlights/?page=13
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/spotlights/
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/spotlights/movies.php
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/spotlights/TVShows.php

I would say that I believe they could make the lightwave3d.com page a bit more selling and interesting by adding the "showcase spotlights" to the menu together with products-about-news/press-gallery-community-learn-try-support.
There are articles how lightwave was used like in sharknado or defiance buried a bit too deep in to that news and press ..which doesnīt make it so easy to find and not so up your face unfortunatly, so you would have to go through the news and press articles and look for them...though I am not particulary sorry those do not show up..since I thought both of them were horrible both as shows and as vfx....Articles derived from 300,angels and demons, iron man, csi, and galactica is of better service I would say.

I think they could manage that better.

erikals
05-03-2016, 05:00 PM
even though i keep bringing up Modeler lacks, it's good to see LightWave getting attention.

the new Render engine is very welcome.

here's the old one >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPdzQIwUWVo

MichaelT
05-03-2016, 05:04 PM
@prometheus: I agree, and I think they want to... I don't think they have manpower enough though. They probably are burning the midnight oil as it is already. Marketing will no doubt happen, but only closer to release.

generally though:
LW is already being used for FX in many areas in Hollywood etc.. and I hope the new release adds more for that of course. But I find that the single most common feature I use in Blender is WASD movement for the camera.
(actually 100% of the time) I consider that invaluable, that is one feature I hope they spend a few hours to add in layout (if it is still split) the movie industry will thank them if they do. Being able to move the camera naturally is not to be underestimated.
If they also support VR for placing the camera (i.e actually being the camera, or dragging it as you would in real life).. that will really be a game changer.

erikals
05-03-2016, 05:15 PM
...But I find that the single most common feature I use in Blender is WASD movement for the camera.
(actually 100% of the time) I consider that invaluable, that is one feature I hope they spend a few hours to add in layout (if it is still split) the movie industry will thank them if they do. Being able to move the camera naturally is not to be underestimated...

try TrueArt CameraMan ?

http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/CameraMan

prometheus
05-03-2016, 09:12 PM
Yes I reckon they may not have enough resources/manpower right now...but that doesnīt matter..they loose out on not adressing it I think, besides ..thereīs no rocket coding or development really, they had and have the articles, but buried in the news and press pages..insert a showcase menu, and connect that page with those articles already there.

They just need to pull in a nice page for it with the sections and images...similar as to how e-on does it, but I reckon they may start with that ofcourse after the release, that is understandable, but at the same time I think It would be wise to have such pages ready upon release time, because it is at that moment the hype of lightwave is at itīs peak, and thus more folks will be online checking lightwave out, and with that they will check other pages to see what lightwave can do..and if thereīs no spotlights presenting it well..they may find themself in bad marketing...thatīs my take on it anyway.

Yes..modeling, yes UI improvements, yes, node enhancements, mesh tweaking in layout, and yes..the particle system needs overhaul...itīs scary, they really do have a lot to adress..but we will have to see what more will arrive other than new volumetrics,performance enhancement and the mesh system and modifier,..they really need to get more in there than what is shown in the blog though in my opinion anyway.

yes perhaps camera man, and 3d connexion..check this, not sure it would work exactly like in blender or worse or better?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLL-Lj3-lxo

MichaelT
05-04-2016, 01:55 AM
try TrueArt CameraMan ?

http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/CameraMan

:) Nice.. But this also illustrates a problem with LW I have highlighted before. It is too reliant on plugins. I hate to say this, but it could do with a tad bit of bloat :)

Update: That plugins works.. but not that well to be honest. If you can try the blender version of it, give that a try. This is what I am thinking of.

MichaelT
05-04-2016, 02:04 AM
Yes I reckon they may not have enough resources/manpower right now...but that doesnīt matter..they loose out on not adressing it I think, besides ..thereīs no rocket coding or development really, they had and have the articles, but buried in the news and press pages..insert a showcase menu, and connect that page with those articles already there.

They just need to pull in a nice page for it with the sections and images...similar as to how e-on does it, but I reckon they may start with that ofcourse after the release, that is understandable, but at the same time I think It would be wise to have such pages ready upon release time, because it is at that moment the hype of lightwave is at itīs peak, and thus more folks will be online checking lightwave out, and with that they will check other pages to see what lightwave can do..and if thereīs no spotlights presenting it well..they may find themself in bad marketing...thatīs my take on it anyway.

Yes..modeling, yes UI improvements, yes, node enhancements, mesh tweaking in layout, and yes..the particle system needs overhaul...itīs scary, they really do have a lot to adress..but we will have to see what more will arrive other than new volumetrics,performance enhancement and the mesh system and modifier,..they really need to get more in there than what is shown in the blog though in my opinion anyway.

yes perhaps camera man, and 3d connexion..check this, not sure it would work exactly like in blender or worse or better?...
(video link removed to save space)

I think one way to solve that could be if someone from the forum acted as a middle person, having more access to screenshots etc.. to drop a few updates now and again. Because I agree that providing signs of life only helps.

I also agree they have a lot to address, but I also think they know. Which is why they (most likely) are working hard on setting the foundation for a new platform. So they can work on implementing those changes. It is frustrating to wait for those of course.. but it is actually more frustrating not knowing :/ So coming back to the initial point.. some sort of more frequent updates could be a good thing. Like a summary or something. I think what they do with Star Citizen is good (Or Descent: Underground (old wingmans new project)) angle on how to do it. But just text would be nice as well. But having a face is a great way to connect. There are of course boundaries.. but you get the picture.

Yes, that 3d mouse works great.. but it is also an extra purchase. Having WASD movement (just like in Blender) would be much better.