PDA

View Full Version : HR:As the Demand for Visual Effects Grows, a Shortage of Artists Looms Ahead

robertoortiz
05-03-2016, 08:38 AM
There needs to be an understanding of how long things take," warned Lionsgate's Kathy Chasen-Hay at the FMX conference.
There may not be enough artists to meet the every-increasing demand for visual effects shots, participants warned Thursday at the FMX animation and visual effects conference in Stuttgart, Germany.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/as-demand-visual-effects-grows-888415

Dan Ritchie
05-03-2016, 09:33 AM
When you send out 100 reals and stop counting without a response.

Bookman
05-03-2016, 10:20 AM
I have seen several people get excited about this article, and while yes, everything in it shows that at least one person in the studio system gets what is happening.

However what this article drives home for me, is that instead of increasing the demand for good artists here in the States, what it will do, is increase the demand of low pay artists in countries like China. Which means even lower pay for any studio here in the US to the point where they won't be able to keep their doors open.

js33
05-03-2016, 01:47 PM
I have seen several people get excited about this article, and while yes, everything in it shows that at least one person in the studio system gets what is happening.

However what this article drives home for me, is that instead of increasing the demand for good artists here in the States, what it will do, is increase the demand of low pay artists in countries like China. Which means even lower pay for any studio here in the US to the point where they won't be able to keep their doors open.

That's what I've been screamin'. You know that terrible feeling when there is still work left to do after the budget is exhausted.

MichaelT
05-03-2016, 02:46 PM
That is just business talk for laying the foundation to move the animation etc.. to cheaper countries. I've seen(heard) the same speech here in Sweden too, just before the fact. So many times.. over so many years now. I'll quote my grandfather by saying: They really don't want to hire people, but they still want you to buy their stuff.

robertoortiz
05-03-2016, 08:36 PM

Oh I am not exited...
I am pissed.
I have seen first hand how the studio system trows people into the meat-grinder.

Bookman
05-04-2016, 04:00 AM
I wasn't assuming that you were Roberto, But I have literally read people I know getting excited about the rules of "Supply and Demand". As if that had any effect on the animation world in this day and age.

Especially since there is a relatively fixed ceiling on how much money can be made in the film industry each year. While that that is increasing each year, pay for artists has dropped in most cases on average.

So the more people they need, the less they can afford to pay them.

50one
05-04-2016, 04:59 AM
I like those talks, "we" the artists shouldn't be screwed and our jobs shifted to China!
Yet, you have no issue buying all your clothes manufactured in China....or using all your shiny Macs/PC's to produce those 3D animations, yet when all our manufacturing plants where moved in the 90s to China just a bunch complained and we moved one.

The beauty of capitalism, I can choose whatever I want to get the product cheaper as long as it is the same product.

Not taking stab an anyone, just pointing out that our industry is no different than any other and with advancements in communications in today world we're living in crazy competitive world.
Unless you;re crazy specialized then you are very likely to take a hit sooner or later.

I remember 8 years ago I haven't even applied for anything, just left my CV on one of the job sites and had like 5/6 calls a day.
Today I loose more and more clients to the left or right because of the budgets or whatever, people constantly look for cheaper option, cannae blame them.

Just past month had two meetings and "almost" been commissioned to do work - spent time preparing the tenders just to hear that they decided to go with someone else who will do this cheaper - as in produce just line art as it faster/easier/cheaper - "We don;t really need great looking illustrations, just something simple" - So, why the **** you even contacted me in the first place, since you saw examples of my work?.

Had a company from states who wanted anatomical models and animations, been told after delivering the first one that it will be cheaper for them to buy models from turbosquid and maybe slightly alter the already presented renders there with PS - even though my rates were really low, just small profit.

No one even mentioned China.

I think the whole industry is ****** up these days and nothing we could do about it.

End of rant:)

lightscape
05-04-2016, 06:23 AM
There's no shortage. You just have to be willing to migrate. ;)
Explore the world.

robertoortiz
05-04-2016, 07:58 AM
There's no shortage. You just have to be willing to migrate. ;)
Explore the world.

..and I bet that is a great way to raise a family, or save for retirement, hell buy a house.
We have such a shortage that studios have moved now to 4 month 1099 contacts, because.... of the shortage somehow.

And if you are over 35, don't get sick. Gofundme can only be used so many times

MichaelT
05-04-2016, 08:27 AM
..and I bet that is a great way to raise a family, or save for retirement, hell buy a house.
We have such a shortage that studios have moved now to 4 month 1099 contacts, because.... of the shortage somehow.

That part is ageism actually.. I find that interesting that so many areas consider people ready for the scrap heap over 35-40, but still expect them to work until ~70. Because we get older, and the pension system cannot handle it. Math at its best :) Aside from the fact that people at that age usually have done the raising kids part, and typically actually have more time to work overtime. Luckily though I am not faced with that.. but the clock is certainly ticking.

50one
05-04-2016, 09:15 AM
As I'm approaching 32 this year I'm a bit terrified that most studios I know their age average is around 25.

ianr
05-04-2016, 09:26 AM
This not new, many houses recruited in the East in the past, even showing their satellite offices
in their slick adverts.
I mean look at your Cinefex past issues over 10 years ago plus , for example:
XYZ FX's/ L.A. / London / Mumbai.etc

Look at the rise of secure comms, against the overflow of recalculated shots for a production
work had to be placed somewhere.

See the little minnow shoal effect of small, connected little boutiques drawn into help with a rising
shot count on many a Slate on the credits . Now that's where a connected Waver can glean work.

I remember what Mama said 'Son, in this life your as good as your little black phone book or others'
at least she said that to me as I rejected an offer for 'being on the square'.(Bond)

But back to this, the Juggernaut Autodesk had to grow markets in a global market place,
so the East was a Natural progression( barring Japan). Japan is different, a wonderful heritage of
fantastic imagination with a strong home demand, coupled with some great art uses of LightWave.

VFX House bankruptcies seem to be down of recent, and surely the future for small tight internetted
houses is getting brighter.To finish on an up, I look to GPU rendering, Nvidia are to bring out more
on-board memory cards upwards of 12 meg onboard now, intelligent GPU renderers like Redshift
will become default coupled with Nvidia's Renderfarm in a box ,the Quadro VCA Box that is just
about to roll out, then it will not be long before enterprising souls 'tickle the drivers' so a GTX version
maybe possible. Hey the dice are all to roll for, just gotta network & keep chins up!

LINKS:http://www.nvidia.com/object/visual-computing-appliance.html

https://www.redshift3d.com/

http://ow.ly/4njUzI

50one
05-04-2016, 09:29 AM
I'm thinking that a poundland sort of management is not bad, quantity over quality, quick turnaround.

lightscape
05-04-2016, 08:02 PM

That's not really what the article is about. They're trying to make it sound like there's a shortage of vfx artists when actually the work has just relocated and so did the artists.
I know a lot of expats already married, own a home and enjoying work. ;) Singapore, UAE, Japan, Korea, Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Vfx work is commoditized. If you're not smart enough to adapt to changing times then you're probably not meant to do vfx work.

MichaelT
05-05-2016, 02:15 AM
That's not really what the article is about. They're trying to make it sound like there's a shortage of vfx artists when actually the work has just relocated and so did the artists.
I know a lot of expats already married, own a home and enjoying work. ;) Singapore, UAE, Japan, Korea, Philippines, Thailand, etc.

Vfx work is commoditized. If you're not smart enough to adapt to changing times then you're probably not meant to do vfx work.

Adapt sure.. not a problem. However, there is no adapting to the 'cheap buck'. Meaning moving to cheaper countries, with cheaper and younger labor, because they fear the competition so much that they cannot ask for a salary they really deserve.
I don't think you've seen enough adapting yet, or you've simply been lucky. Don't underestimate the power of the greed, young Padawan ;)

50one
05-05-2016, 02:19 AM

That's terrible thing to say really.

I hope that whoever think they're smart, their smartness will eventually kick them in their nutsack:)

Yes, people do adapt and move around - I'm one of those people but eventually you have to settle and buy a house have kids and you are no longer as flexible as you were before.

Think you can just leave your family and work oversees for a year and just pop in to your place every so often and see your wife and kids? Dream on, seen couple of folks I know trying to do this and eventually they were back within a year.

Truth is that there might be a shortage of skills in specific region, but eventually just like with anything in few years time the market will become saturated and the production will move to cheaper place, I know a lot of companies who are planning to moving out of China as at the moment it's much more expensive that it was years ago and even basic salaries in some regions are much higher than those in some parts of Europe. Most companies these days are looking at Vietnam.

lightscape
05-05-2016, 06:08 AM
Yes, people do adapt and move around - I'm one of those people but eventually you have to settle and buy a house have kids and you are no longer as flexible as you were before.

And you're talking to one as well. But I'm a realist. If I see something that's going downhill I take the appropriate action. I don't go with optimism and hope for the best.
My brother in the states is paying his mortgage at 40+ years old. I'm not following that path. I have two flats in two countries that are paying for itself already. I just looked at australia recently to see if I could get a third one. If I stayed put like my bro and took the job offer that's "most comfortable" I would be in his situation.

50one
05-05-2016, 07:09 AM
And you're talking to one as well. But I'm a realist. If I see something that's going downhill I take the appropriate action. I don't go with optimism and hope for the best.
My brother in the states is paying his mortgage at 40+ years old. I'm not following that path. I have two flats in two countries that are paying for itself already. I just looked at australia recently to see if I could get a third one. If I stayed put like my bro and took the job offer that's "most comfortable" I would be in his situation.

I'm in a similar situation then, got another flat, but unfortunately the housing market changed and now ended up with negative equity on one property and cant really sell lol.
To be fair I wish I could move to Oz or somewhere where is warm - I would like my daughter to see the sun more often than once every three months lol, but there's no way my partner will agree so you gotta work out something else.
but, having said that I wouldn't mind continental Europe, it's a pity as I always thought about moving to Greece but given their situation in the past years can;t really see that happening.

djwaterman
05-05-2016, 07:35 AM
To be honest, I'm starting to think that the best position to be in is to have a real job and be a hobbyist. Film production isn't a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to finishing up this current job as it's wearing me out.

MichaelT
05-05-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm in a similar situation then, got another flat, but unfortunately the housing market changed and now ended up with negative equity on one property and cant really sell lol.
To be fair I wish I could move to Oz or somewhere where is warm - I would like my daughter to see the sun more often than once every three months lol, but there's no way my partner will agree so you gotta work out something else.
but, having said that I wouldn't mind continental Europe, it's a pity as I always thought about moving to Greece but given their situation in the past years can;t really see that happening.

I think there will be a good long while before things settle down there. But I'd rather stay out of politics.

MichaelT
05-05-2016, 08:13 AM
To be honest, I'm starting to think that the best position to be in is to have a real job and be a hobbyist. Film production isn't a lot of fun, I'm looking forward to finishing up this current job as it's wearing me out.

That depends of the project I would think :) Have a rest once you've finished. But if you love the art form, don't leave it. You'll regret it, I know :/

VonBon
05-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Shortage happens because some people want stability in their life.
Some people wanna get paid what they believe they are worth.

And working for a Company that cares about nothing but making numbers
bigger will never provide the statements above.

The Stock Market will destroy Lives and Companies. It's designed to
suck the life out of whatever it touches. To make more, it just consumes more,
leaving waste in its wake.

Artist need to learn to work together and take risk together.
I stopped doing Art for people because they took the Joy out of it.
I would love to work with other Artist to build something great.

But for some reason most believe that we can't do anything without
the person who cares nothing for our craft, so we get used and abused.