PDA

View Full Version : SPEED MODELING CHALLENGE: Bridges - DEADLINE June 1, 2016

bellmore
05-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Challenge: Bridges (and anything that extends over water)
DEADLINE: 8AM Pacific time, June 1st, 2016

The idea is to model some kind of bridge. Docks and piers and anything that extends over water is fair game.

Time Limit: 120 minutes, not including planning, sketching, prototypes, texturing or render setup.

PLANNING TIME is free! So you can strategize how to get what you want before you start the clock. Also, you don't have to work in one block, feel free to break your time up as needed, but do keep track.

RENDER and Post Work: There is no time limit on surfacing and rendering. However, more points are awarded if your final render displays the model in a scene rather than just a textured render of the model. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!

PARTICIPATION: Participation is COMPLETELY voluntary, so please let's not try to coerce others into expending their valuable time. I will judge as many (or few) entries submitted by the deadline, and don't plan to extend the deadline. If you want to participate, HAVE FUN and don't feel any pressure! (I know that these words are mTp's words but I think they should be applied to the challenges).

Rules:
1. Every challenge specifies a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time modeling. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wireframe and final render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread. Note: Some challenges will include final render instructions and time limit restrictions as well. This is up to the judge creating the challenge.
3. Only LightWave is to be used for modeling. However, 3rd party Plugins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time limit, we encourage you to submit the model, but it won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing (including UV Mapping), setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. Although, not required, it is always nice if the artist provides information on how the model was created, what plugins were used and any special techniques used.
7. The following criteria is used to award points. Modeling is looking for good poly flow. The better it is, the more points awarded. Creativity is how you interpreted the specifications of the challenge and applied them in way not necessarily expected. Expression is how you used the model in the final render/scene that supports the creativity aspect of your submission. Render refers to how well the model, creativity and expression were conveyed.

Criteria Points
Modeling 0 to 5 (clean poly flow, good joints, minimum polys / edges for model)
Creativity 0 to 5 (model a boring real-life thing = 0, cool real-life thing = 3, bizarre and unique and individual item = 5)
Expression 0 to 5 (how you used the model in the final render/scene that supports the creativity aspect of your submission)
Render 0 to 5 (composition, texturing, content, framing, lighting, perspective of final render)

See unstable's excellent post on "Expression":

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1467504

PRIZE: Winner gets to set the terms of the NEXT Speed Modeling Challenge!

JUDGE: ME!

MonroePoteet
05-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Well, I'll kick off this rodeo. Bridges are one of my faves! Right at 1:00 for modeling the bridge and abutments, another 40 minutes to UV map it, and 1.5 hours to build the forest scene (not submitted as part of the model), texture, light and render the scene.

A simple arch bridge.

133702 133703 133704

mTp

bellmore
05-03-2016, 09:52 PM
Wow, that is an excellent model and render. I like it. The forest looks great, too. The render that you did that included the forest has a great atmosphere. Now if I can only get a bridge created in under 2hrs.

MonroePoteet
05-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Thanks! I just happened to be renewing my knoweldge of volumetric lights and spotlight projection images for the underwater thread, which results in the fogginess, streams of light and dappled ground lighting. I researched building an actual arch bridge for a gully at a friend of mine's house, so I knew exactly how to build it in 3D. I tend to try to use procedural textures, but there's nothing like UV mapping with real photos and deep Bump maps (I used 500% bump for all the wood and stone) for realism, and thankfully I remembered to apply the UV maps *before* applying Bend to the laminated structural support beams and the hand railing.

P.S. A quick expose on adding the path: I had the ground constant green which didn't work well. I selected the points on the ground mesh for the center of the path, then used } to expand the selection twice. Created a new Weight Map and assigned 10% to all points, then used { to reduce by one layer of points, assigned 50% weight to those, reduced with { again, and assigned 100% to the center. Then, applied another couple of procedural layers to the color of the ground with a couple of Gradient alpha layers to bring the path color down to the width I wanted.

mTp

jeric_synergy
05-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Monroe, not that 3 weighting operations are onerous, but had you had to do it say 30 times, perhaps Ken Nign's graduated weight map scripts would have been helpful.

( mostly making this comment for the benefit of noobs. I find those scripts brilliant, and lifesavers.)

MonroePoteet
05-04-2016, 02:44 PM
... perhaps Ken Nign's graduated weight map scripts would have been helpful.

Thanks for the hint. I think you mean this one:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/weight-outward/

Yes, that'd be handy if I had to do it a lot.

mTp

jeric_synergy
05-04-2016, 07:20 PM
KN has, w/o looking, at least two gradated w.map scripts that automate what otherwise would be incredibly tedious. :D

prometheus
05-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Thanks! I just happened to be renewing my knoweldge of volumetric lights and spotlight projection images for the underwater thread, which results in the fogginess, streams of light and dappled ground lighting. I researched building an actual arch bridge for a gully at a friend of mine's house, so I knew exactly how to build it in 3D. I tend to try to use procedural textures, but there's nothing like UV mapping with real photos and deep Bump maps (I used 500% bump for all the wood and stone) for realism, and thankfully I remembered to apply the UV maps *before* applying Bend to the laminated structural support beams and the hand railing.

P.S. A quick expose on adding the path: I had the ground constant green which didn't work well. I selected the points on the ground mesh for the center of the path, then used } to expand the selection twice. Created a new Weight Map and assigned 10% to all points, then used { to reduce by one layer of points, assigned 50% weight to those, reduced with { again, and assigned 100% to the center. Then, applied another couple of procedural layers to the color of the ground with a couple of Gradient alpha layers to bring the path color down to the width I wanted.

mTp

Itīs a good start..I like those "japanese" style bridges.

perhaps some more variation on the stones, the image is a good start, if you donīt mind me giving some tips on the mood? though this is in general a modeling competition, I would like to suggest this..
I see a lot of folks using the srgb active for outdoor scenery, for environments I myself turn them off..because they get to bleached out, indoor scenes and product shot that is fine, but for outdoor scenes most of the stuff rendered out directly without post processing turns out bleached and a bit flat....and I think that is a bit the case here too, unless my monitor is wonky, trees further back needs to be darker and have more shadows..so I would suggest try another color mode..but I could be wrong, and you could also be so used to that workflow now that you do not want to change?

I would also suggest make the beams stronger in contrast and also wider beams..and wider gaps, if one would look at most real photoīs ..that is often the case...just a suggestion, could be a matter of taste as well.
who am I to critic :) I need to do a forest scene myself, I know I can do it..but it takes time and passion to do it..whatīs fascinating about rays through trees, is often how they it the ground or a little stream of water runing and highlights it, and if there is enough pollen and small particles in the green area, that can yield a nice soft bloom.

MonroePoteet
05-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I should have modeled the stones individually, since it's easy enough (1-segment tesselated sphere (1m radius), jitter .5m in each axis, subdivide metaform once, convert to patches, jitter .2 in each axis a couple of times), rather than using Point Clone Plus with variations on a single geometry.

RE: the lighting, I intended a really foggy/misty day in an ancient old-wood forest with a high, homogeneous canopy. So, the trees fade into the mist becoming indistinct, and the leafy crown lets light through in a consistent dappled manner. A little more variability would probably be good, but I just used one of my standard Noise patterns for the Projection Image and Volumetric lighting texture. I turned up and down the intensity of the "rays" (using the cone start and end on the Volumetric lighting) before finding something I thought was present but subtle, like the canopy was obscuring most of the light except for tiny holes.

RE: the color space, I rendered it with all the color space options (after your suggestion), and still like the sRGB for the misty, old-wood forest feel where everything is washed out because of the mist.

mTp