PDA

View Full Version : STILL 4th quarter 2003 ?

cresshead
12-11-2003, 05:25 PM
just wondering with what MATT said that newtek might let us know if the release date has slipped into 2004 or if it's still on for 2003

I'll take a "no reponse" as newtek are aiming for 2003.

hrgiger
12-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Since when does a "no response" mean anything from Newtek?;)

cresshead
12-11-2003, 06:00 PM
well you gotta try n see if they will respond!...

i'm hoping they don't!!!

...i'd REALLY like to rig my characters in lw8 rather than move them over to max4 and character studio3...but if the release does slip much past 31 dec 2003 i'll simply have to...i don't want to learn old style riggin in lightwave only to make it redundant in 1-2 months so i'd be better off back in 3ds max for this animation if lightwave does miss it's "due date".

steve g

SLAYER
12-11-2003, 06:21 PM
Well my girlfriend bought the upgrade for my birthday. She was hesitant, but felt fairly well considering that somebody from Newtek (I think Chuck) stated in 3D World that Newtek has slipped from it's release dates before, but this time they are making a point of releasing it when promised. This statement combined with the e-mails and the "xx days left" countdown made her take the plunge.

Most other companies do not charge your credit card when you pre-order until the item is available and ships. Newtek charged the card right away with no problem. My girlfriend does not sit well with this. If Newtek does not deliver when promised, which is what her card was charged for, she will report to the Better Business Bureau.

I have tried to tell her to not get so worked up, but she is silly this way and most likely will do just that. She was already mad about the whole LW training seminar cd'd that only took me about 9 months to get and I am sure glad I never subscribed to Newtek Pro.

Even if Newtek pro and the c.d's are not directly associated with Newtek ,the words LightWave do not leave a good feeling when purchasing.

Hope they deliver on time.

cresshead
12-11-2003, 06:30 PM
don't get me wrong...i'm not angry or "mad"...just if newtek already know that it will miss the date i think i would be prudent to let us know in advance so we can work around it rather than second guess them or "hope".

i know that studio's don't usually use the new release stuff but i'd like to get my feet wet in lw8's character animation tools as soon as so i can see if they will replace character studio and max or if i'll need to look at motion builder or messiah or ACS4 to fill any hole that are in lw 8.

from the siggy reels this year lw8 looks to be quite capable so i'm crossing my fingers that i can finally wave goodbye to character studio next year as i want to animate by hand and rotoscope in lw rather than use mo cap's and editied footstep driven animation as i use in max character studio currently.

cheers

KillMe
12-11-2003, 06:31 PM
if you got the upgrade you'll have got DFX+ so cant expect them to not charge you for that

jr_sunshine
12-11-2003, 06:38 PM
yep.

If you report them to the BBB you will look a little silly with DFX+ in hand.

:D

T-Light
12-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Hello Steve,

I'm not in the same boat regarding the work, but I've been setting the time aside for some serious learning curves with the new version over christmas. After the new year I'll have several months of coding ahead and I won't be able to give the upgrade the comittment it will need.

It's a shame, I think you and I bought the upgrade at about the same time (about seven months ago now) and it's all been building to this. If it's not possible for Newtek to deliver over Xmas then so be it, But I agree, if they can't, we should be told... and soon.

I for one would like to see what everybody starts producing with the new version over the new year.

Fingers crossed ;)

Brent

T-Light
12-11-2003, 07:20 PM
Hello Slayer.

That's some girlfriend you've got there.
An upgrade to Lightwave 8 for your birthday?

I'm lucky if I get slippers.

js33
12-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Well if they can't finish everything in time I would be happy with the current beta they've been showing lately. At least give us that and then the real version when it is finished. Everyone will need something to keep them occupied over the holidays. :D

Cheers,
JS

KillMe
12-11-2003, 11:06 PM
they wont want torelease a buggy versions since they will get bad reviews etc if the dopesheet etc cant eb used etc and that could hurt them alot - i'm guessing they want the reviews to be

wow lightwave 8 is awesome throw away your max maya and xsi seats lightwave is the new sliced bread =)

js33
12-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Well that's probably true but they could release it to those that have already paid with a disclaimer. :D

Also I've been using the PLE of Maya lately and LW will have to do alot more to catch up to them.

Cheers,
JS

Hervé
12-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Tchee Tchee Tchee , Blah blah blah... Wait and see, Tchee Tchee Tchee ......

(very old tune)

blabberlicious
12-12-2003, 03:39 AM
As you can see, I tried the direct approach and got no where.

So:

It's ok for NT to continue to advertise the Q4 delivery date on their website.

But when I asked them to confirm this by email, they refused. Saying only that it was 'in development'

Them told me to 'go look at the website'

????

Frankly, if they are stilll 'in development' at this stage, then they should at least take that misleading page off their website, and give enveryone an honest update on how development stands.

Way to go NT!

Hervé
12-12-2003, 03:48 AM
and again....

re-Tchee Tchee Tchee , Blah blah blah... Wait and see, Tchee Tchee Tchee ......

(re-very old tune)

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2004 !

blabberlicious
12-12-2003, 03:56 AM
I don't think that unreasonable - i really need those rigging tools, and some fixes to a flakey HUB, ViPER, etc. - all things which have piled hours of unecessary work on me.

But, if you have time on your hands, feel free to serenade us till they relase it!

:-)

Yog
12-12-2003, 04:36 AM
A bit tough on the people who are tying to decide whether to upgrade to LW8 or go for the limited offer of jumping to Motion Builder for thier character animation needs. Based on the feature list released so far, it does look as though these two will be going head to head.

The MB offer closes 31st December, so not a lot of time to decide, or none at all if LW8 slips to 2004.

Aegis
12-12-2003, 05:34 AM
I've already gone the MotionBuilder route and I have to say it's great! MotionBuilder 5.1 is an amazing tool and for the money, well worth it. 'Course, having MB isn't going to stop me from upgrading to LW 8 - the more options the better I say :)

erikk
12-12-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine
yep.

If you report them to the BBB you will look a little silly with DFX+ in hand.

:D

Unless, of course, you're a Mac user. They're offering, let's see, bupkis to us as an upgrade incentive...

p.s. - Please, let's not turn this into a Mac vs. PC thing. I'm just stating a fact here.

cresshead
12-12-2003, 07:30 AM
hi
well seeing as there's been no reponse so far from newtek i'm going to take that as they're working their socks off to release it before 2004 as stated on the newtek site.

new years day will be fun ..installing a new lightwave and seeing how long it takes to finally get to the ik boost button that i've seen on video's n screenshots!

cheers:D

Hervé
12-12-2003, 07:32 AM
no hurry- better be safe than sorry...!

blabberlicious
12-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
no hurry- better be safe than sorry...!

Great! You obvioulsy have time on you hands.

I wonder why?

Leave us alone to our self pity, and get back to you carol singing.

Or are you an auto-post NT bot?

That whould explain your lack of empathy with fellow users.

Can't you see we are enjoying our moaning?

Joy to the world!

Hervé
12-13-2003, 02:38 AM
;)

Nemoid
12-13-2003, 12:18 PM
I personally think that if Nt needs some more (little) time to complete their work and make Lw better and over all stable and debugged, its better they take it. Why to release a buggy product maybe developed with great hurry because of a statement with the release date? Better to release a kick *** product a bit later, IMO.

Seriously, sometimes when i read posting about Lw release date, seems to read statements from persons that will not survive unless the new release.

Also, Christmas time is a period for some holidays so take it easy and you will see Lw in January for sure. :)

cresshead
12-13-2003, 01:35 PM
i don't have a problem with a later release date but i do strongly feel that "IF" a release date will be missed and delayed passed 4th quater 03 that is only polite and proper to tell your customers
that such a thing is happening and not give them a "wall of silence" as an answer...

the customer would then be able to re jig any plans thay have laid for lightwave 8 learning/install ect off and have time to do other things over the xmas period.

information is power

to inform is to share knowledge and all will prosper form your deeds.

at this time newtek have not siad they will miss the deadline so if they [newtek] decide not to tell thier customers and only let them find out by a clock ticking over into 2004 i'll find that to be quite unproffesional of them....

but............................................... ..........

newtek can still either deliver on time...as no one from newtek [only from what's been said at a demo of lw8] has publicaly said it will miss it's date...

or they can let their loyal customers know now if they already realise that the 4th quarter 2003 is not on the cards anymore.

this is the time where newtek can show it's cutomers it cares about them if they cannot get lw 8 out before 2004.
and communicate to us.

for newtek not to decide on a public update on the release date would then move them into the discreet camp...a corporate giant who simply survives by sucking money from it's victims like a vampire...can you see why i moved over from max to lightwave??!!!

take care all.

cagey5
12-13-2003, 05:39 PM
I can only concur with Cresshead on this. I fully expect Lightwave 8 to be available for download before this month is out. That is what Newtek has said on a number of occasions and I have seen no indication from Newtek to suggest otherwise.

If, however, the release date has slipped then they need to communicate that as soon as possible.

I check this board more than daily to see if anything has been announced. The anticipation rises by the day and I'm sure Newtek is aware of that, but I will be one unhappy bunny if they miss their schedule and don't give us ample warning. But, as I say there is no reason for me to assume that will happen.

17 days and counting......

m_luscombe
12-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Blah. When it's out, it's out. Then you'll all be saying they should have worked on it longer.

Frankly, I'd like to give them some time to add stuff. A modeling feature might be nice. I have David Ikeda's tools already, I might be able to save a few hundred dollars.

Is there something insanely exciting about this release that I'm missing? I'm sort of imagining you all in your offices, running around in circles, foaming at the mouth, eyes rolled up into the backs of your heads.

jr_sunshine
12-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Yes... your missing the incredible new animation enhancements. But yet again another "ANNOYING" comment about the lack of enahcements to modeler.

FOr the love of God.... NewTek was CLEAR .... CLEAR ... FREAKING CLEAR all along that the majority of enhancements in LW8 would be in Layout.

Talk about foaming at the mouth .... please listen up.

:rolleyes:

m_luscombe
12-13-2003, 07:09 PM
I'm not complaining about LW. Complaining would be coming in here and yelling:

"An entire year and all they can add is a handful of free plugins!?!?!"

And I was definitely not doing that. Newtek was clear that they were only working on half the program. I got that part loud and clear. No need to repeat it.

I just stepped into my 10th "are we there yet?" thread and felt compelled to reply.

My personal thought is: It takes time to print manuals, duplicate disks, pack the whole lot up, arrange all the shipping, blah, blah blah. Even if it was finished, today, I don't think Newtek would necessarily offer the downloadable version now if they knew the physical version wouldn't ship for a month. And heck, even if they did, I would want the box and disks, so it wouldn't really have arrived for me anyway.

jr_sunshine
12-13-2003, 07:42 PM
Got it. :D

I guess I sounded off cause I am really getting tired of the wine wine wine of the modeler crowd.

I see your point... you really were not doing that.

My apologies.

:)

Hervé
12-14-2003, 11:48 PM
Dont be sooo nervous Roy.... :D

Exper
12-15-2003, 03:32 AM
Make them work with no worry...
then...
deserve the results! :D

Bye.