PDA

View Full Version : My demo reel

squarewulf
05-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Thought i'd share some of my previous works. Let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMh9_RdTGU

lertola2
05-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Wow. Nice. I loved the car transforming into a boat.

Dan Ritchie
05-01-2016, 04:37 PM
some really nice stuff. Liked the germs in the sprinkler system the best!

Honestly, the opening shot with Santa and his reindeer isn't your very best and the hardest to get right, and better not to lead with it.

squarewulf
05-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Honestly, the opening shot with Santa and his reindeer isn't your very best and the hardest to get right, and better not to lead with it.

I've looked at all this stuff so much its all so vanilla to me. Which would you say is the strongest? I can always re-cut it.

Snosrap
05-01-2016, 08:06 PM
I've looked at all this stuff so much its all so vanilla to me. Which would you say is the strongest? I can always re-cut it.

The septic tank. And all the home repair stuff. The Santa stuff is so-so. :)

Surrealist.
05-01-2016, 08:09 PM
A matter of opinion. I think the opening shot is the best of all. Stylized. Looks like a post card. Shows a complex environment with lots going on visually. Not just some run of the mill bland industrial shot like a lot of the reel. Not that the other stuff is bad mind you. It is executed well. But it does not make you stand out from pretty much any journeyman doing industrial and commercial visualizations. The opening shot is a cut above the rest for sure. Well done!

If you are looking to break out of doing boring stuff like pipes, microbes, other bland industrial stuff. (Just my opinion, but bread and butter of your kind of work of course, I know because I have worked on such stuff for many years.) And you want to get into more high end visuals with larger budgets, go in the direction of what you have done with Santa and improve on it.

For your customer base the reel is set up perfectly. They will be impressed that you have a range, and then see you can do the simple more industrial things they require.

And hopefully you'll start to get more work based on the Santa stuff. Not sure if that actually paid more... lol. But it is heading in thet direction.

Best of luck!

lertola2
05-01-2016, 09:49 PM
One criticism I have is that a lot of the scenes feel dark. I think they might benefit from some color adjustments.

MonroePoteet
05-02-2016, 10:31 AM
Wow! Really nice reel for what I like: visualizations. Please excuse the detailed review from a hobbyist, but I really liked it.

The phased construction / deconstructions were superb, like the house settling / crumbling, building the lintel lift system, building the car dealership, etc. The car-to-boat sequence is amazing. The explanatory segments are really clear and well-timed, like how the foundation shoring technologies are implemented.

Lots of diversity in terms of particles, fiber FX, instances, intricate models, morphs, Bullet simulations, etc. Keeps everything moving and interesting and detailed.

Good storylines and camera angles and motions. Really good environments / backgrounds and context setting backdrops (grass, mountains, sky, clouds, trees, dust, snow, ground). Excellent use of depth-of-field to set context and scale in the septic tank and leach field segments and excellent use of motion blur throughout. Textures and surfacing are mostly excellent, although a little more time on fiber textures (green bag in Santa's sleigh) and using deeper / exaggerated Bump maps might be good (like >100% on the wood floors and brick closeups).

Object animations and interaction were natural and smooth, no real "clunkers" that I could see. In particular, the character animations were so smooth and unassuming as to blend superbly and almost go unnoticed (Santa jumping from the sleigh, car-boat pilot, reindeer movements).

I can agree a bit on brightening things up a bit, but that may be a result of encoding, or a desired style. Lertola's comparisons are good examples, IMO.

Favorite: Can't really pick one. The Santa carwash was inventive and really well done, the home settling and repair was excellent, the car-to-boat was amazing

Least Favorite: The tornado. Although the camera motion running for the storm cellar was really good, the tornado needed a LOT more particulates and ground-effect action, effects in which you showed expertice throughout the rest of the reel.

Overall, I'd give it an A+. Well done!

mTp

squarewulf
05-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Some really good feedback! Thanks for all the kind words and criticisms. I agree overall on the shots being a bit dark, I honestly think it's my monitors. This isn't the first time I've heard my shots are dark, also I'm slightly colorblind so my color space tends to be shifted as well. It's something I need to work on perfecting.

I think i'll keep the order in which the shots are placed, but maybe I should replace the tornado running sequence with shots from this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-E2hcFS5f8 I think maybe it's a stronger piece and shows a bit more foliage animation etc.

Surrealist - I completely loved working on the Santa project. I had less than a week to complete it and didn't really have the opportunity to put much "soul" into it. I was so excited to work on something with a story (kind of) that I bit off more than I could chew, didn't get paid a whole lot for it unfortunately. You're correct in saying the Santa stuff is what I want to do but the industrial stuff is so easy and pays pretty well. Kind of a catch-22.

MonroePoteet - A+ WOO! Thanks for the compliments. Good eye on Santa bag, that shot and the laptop shot were last minute when I realized I don't have anything to illustrate the coupon books. Literally whipped it up in ~hour, had no time to surface it. Used a default preset on it and rendered.

Again, thanks for the great feedback! This is why I love this community, I always learn something and become a better artist every time I visit this forum.

Edit: Does anyone have any suggestions on good price effective monitors? I think it's time for an upgrade.

MonroePoteet
05-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Yes, I'd replace the tornado sequence in the current reel with the tornado behind the house and the following segment where the hail is starting to fall and the shingles starting to loosen. The tornado is in context in the latter and the lack of debris and ground disruption is hidden by the house.

mTp

squarewulf
05-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Updated version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBIYGdFxf64)

MonroePoteet
05-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Yes, much better, IMO.

mTp