PDA

View Full Version : Feature request for layers

Dan Ritchie
05-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Greater than and less than >, < blending modes would be very useful for building up or gouging out chunks of procedural landscape...

Sensei
05-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Not sure what do you mean.
Layers of what? Geometry?
Procedural texture entry?
You could blend them using Gradient with distance to camera item IIRC.

Dan Ritchie
05-01-2016, 04:31 PM
Not sure what do you mean.
Layers of what? Geometry?
Procedural texture entry?
You could blend them using Gradient with distance to camera item IIRC.

layers in the surfacing panel.

squarewulf
05-01-2016, 06:02 PM
layers in the surfacing panel.

That exists. Click the ' T '.

jeric_synergy
05-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Which is a severely modest understatement: it exists for EVERY channel in the SE.

lertola2
05-01-2016, 08:58 PM

He means new blending modes for layers and there is not a greater or less than blending mode. But I think you could make the equivalent function with a gradient that uses the previous layer as input.

Sensei
05-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Traditional layer system is obsolete. In Node Editor you can make any custom blending like you want.

jeric_synergy
05-01-2016, 10:01 PM
He means new blending modes for layers and there is not a greater or less than blending mode. But I think you could make the equivalent function with a gradient that uses the previous layer as input.
"greater than" or "less than"? What would that be in Photoshop terminology? Because we do have Screen and Multiply.

Dan Ritchie
05-02-2016, 10:17 AM
"greater than" or "less than"? What would that be in Photoshop terminology? Because we do have Screen and Multiply.

I don't know about photoshop. You can do it in node editor with min/max.

basically, when the density function of 2 procedural overlaps, one part is replaced by the other, depending on greater than or less than. It's basically exactly like booleans for textures.

jeric_synergy
05-02-2016, 11:07 AM
I would say that would correspond to Screen (for lighten/increase) and Multiply (for darken/decrease).

Give it a whirl. But, IMM nodes are going to be much clearer in function and more generally flexible. But, my point is that you might be able to do it in Layers, although there's little impetus to do so over nodes.