PDA

View Full Version : UI RESEARCH: mouse grip? / which-how many fingers do you use? : POLL

jeric_synergy
05-01-2016, 01:04 PM
And for starters, feel free to spare us the obvious prurient "witticisms": :twak:

The perennial "navigation r-wars" I think are often hardware-specific: for instance, to get 3 fingers on the LMB, MW, and RMB of my particular mouse (Logitech) requires me to bend my hand in a non-natural and uncomfortable way, so I tend to denigrate navigation schemes that require extensive use of the MMB/MW.

Since LWG never seems to do much UI research, :chicken: 8~ , I thought I'd post a poll about mouse grippage.

Please respond to the poll, and post your particular usage and mouse model. EG:

I have a Logitech wireless 5-button mouse (side buttons). My usual/main grip is two-fingered: my index finger on the LMB, while my middle finger alternates between the RMB and the MMB/MW. The Left side button is convenient to the thumb, and the Right side button rarely gets used.

ConjureBunny
05-02-2016, 08:46 PM
I use two fingers at most, but usually scroll a lot with two fingers--most of the time I'm on my laptop.

Then again, I'm a Mac user, and you know, I'm still new to having more than one button :D

-Chilton

Ernest
05-02-2016, 09:04 PM
I use index for LMB and MMB/wheel, wheel left, and wheel right, and middle finger for RMB, but I also use the thumb for the 4 side buttons (which are alt, ctrl, shift and spacebar).
So, that would be 3, I guess?

tburbage
05-03-2016, 08:44 PM
For me, its 3 fingers + programmable thumb button. But I don't really like using the MMB either -- it just isn't ergonomic to me. Scrollwheel zoom is good (in Modeler, Layout unfortunately hard-codes it to tool cycling).

I wish Layout's MMB+DRAG for marquee select had some non-MMB alternate.

jeric_synergy
05-03-2016, 11:01 PM
Glad I'm not alone on the MMB/Wh front: I like it as a wheel, but not as a button, it's just awkward.

My wheel supports L/R also: I didn't think there was anyway we could use that, directly, although probably something's possible thru AHK.

Asticles
05-04-2016, 03:33 AM
Hi all,

I also work with two fingers, index one to LMB and wheel, and middle one to the RMB.

Regards

erikals
05-04-2016, 10:34 AM
i use a Wacom.

so 1.

Dexter2999
05-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Four and thumb at work with mouse. One finger on each button. Thumb, ring finger, & pinky move mouse around.
Three and thumb at home on trackball. Three fingers on ball. Thumb over both buttons and scroll wheel.

roboman
05-05-2016, 05:17 PM
I use a trackball. I move the ball with my thumb and use three buttons. The center button is also a scroll wheel. I had several others I liked better, but they are no longer made.

Dexter2999
05-05-2016, 08:32 PM
@roboman I could never get used to the ones where you use your thumb. They hurt my hand after a while. I use the Microsoft Explorer Trackball.
I was also afraid they might stop making them...so last time I bought two.
I don't even use the extra two buttons on the far right.