PDA

View Full Version : Basic City Build Tute

raw-m
04-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Hi all. I don't usually post these but I was quite pleased with the outcome and workflow. Loads of simple Spline Control at work.

Took a bit of R&D regarding setting up the roads and as you'll see, found the trick is to get everything in place quite early before cloning roads. Obviously, I've used roads here but it's a technique that could be applied to anything.

There's a simple bit of Part Moving on the buildings towards the end.

Hope you get something out of it!

https://youtu.be/zuYXlCiSIFk

prometheus
04-29-2016, 02:04 PM
Hi all. I don't usually post these but I was quite pleased with the outcome and workflow. Loads of simple Spline Control at work.

Took a bit of R&D regarding setting up the roads and as you'll see, found the trick is to get everything in place quite early before cloning roads. Obviously, I've used roads here but it's a technique that could be applied to anything.

There's a simple bit of Part Moving on the buildings towards the end.

Hope you get something out of it!

Cool ..thank for sharing that Mark.
a lot of messing with bones though, I will try and take a look at it, though I would try and do the same with another method, probably just save out paths from illustrator with offset so the roads have their width already done, then import to lightwave and perhaps extrude for the thickness, but instead of bones I think I would go for fertilizer or use displacement and the shifter plugin.

Not sure what proīs and conīs between these are until I look at it closer.

Michael

raw-m
04-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Cheers Michael. Not a fan of bones for this sort of thing myself but found that this was by far the most economical method. I investigated each approach you mentioned inc DP Spline Displacement, I won't bore you with the processes I went through now! I think you'll find some of the hoops you have to jump through to get a smooth extrude unnecessarily convoluted but would be very interested to see other approaches, especially if you have loads of paths to animate.

prometheus
04-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Cheers Michael. Not a fan of bones for this sort of thing myself but found that this was by far the most economical method. I investigated each approach you mentioned inc DP Spline Displacement, I won't bore you with the processes I went through now! I think you'll find some of the hoops you have to jump through to get a smooth extrude unnecessarily convoluted but would be very interested to see other approaches, especially if you have loads of paths to animate.

wouldnīt go for bones or spline displacement exactly since that would as you say go through hops of smooth extrude issues ..I think, thus simply using dp shifter plugin might work, but I am not sure yet...some old shifter stuff, but havenīt tested with roads yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-n2oTGiIOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auvBo2kE2bk

however..using shifter is a bit point order dependent, so if you use belt in px bezier to draw a road, then extrude to thickness, it will go all wonky, so it is best to draw a rectangel or cubic poly in back or front view and then draw the road paths with px bezier extrude for instance, that suggest that importing illustrator paths and get that point order right for shifter might be troublesome...so the use of illustrator here might not work so good with dp shifter and speed time.
otherwise by using extruded polygons in the path direction, you only need to make sure you have the same amount in dp shifter base points(4 points) as the starting shape, then feed the speed time node in the the shift, set shifter mode to top.

One way would be to draw out road paths in px bezier and save out those config paths and the reload when needed in different segments, and you can do the same for building floor plan blocks, so with that way you can skip illustrator all together..even though I am a big fan of using illustrator for paths.

All this got me thinking of using shifter or fertiliser on my fiddlings with lightwave edges/polylines which I then skinned with a mesh in blender, I must check how that turns out with shifter too.

raw-m
04-30-2016, 02:43 AM
I on purposely showed Illustator as a way to show designers and illustrators that LW can be an effective tool for 3D, there are alternatives to c4d! Illustrator is also brilliant at rounding corners. I originally started in Affinity Designer but found a couple of bugs that would have unnecessary lengthened the tutorial to get around. Otherwise yes, Illustrator could be totally skipped so PX Bezier would be useful.

As useful as it is, sounds like we have gone through similar pains regarding Shifter/point order. Also worth noting is LWs weakness in copy/pasting displacement nodes to multiple objects.

Fertiliser would be great if it was nodal and didn't break everytime I changed something in my scene!

The Spline Control method totally eliminates the user needing to know anything about point orders (which they shouldn't) and its easier to add elements and update an object pointing down Z in a straight line - it's a good starting point for quick visualisation.

MonroePoteet
04-30-2016, 09:08 AM
That's a really neat effect, and thanks for the great tutorial! Love the little bounce each building does when it reaches height, and a great idea to use the -/+ on Bevel to form the various height buildings. Did you set individual surfaces for the various buildings, or use something like DPKit=>DP Part Info with a Gradient to set their colors randomly? Also, what tool do you use to pop up the little blue instruction boxes in the tutorial?

I'll probably try it myself, but I'll probably convert the curves imported from Illustrator (well, I use Corel Draw) to Skelegons in Modeler, use Split Skelegons to cut up the long, straight skelegons to about the same density as the curves, and then have specific road geometries (multi-segmented box) for each road segment that matches the number of skelegons in each curve. That's just my preference for working with Skelegons in Modeler rather than Bones in Layout.

Thanks again!
mTp

UnCommonGrafx
04-30-2016, 09:25 AM
That bone technique is wholly under-valued. Makes a lot of things easy. Amazed we don't see more stuff with them, they make some things that much easier.

Great tute!

Thanks for them.
Robert

prometheus
04-30-2016, 10:20 AM
I on purposely showed Illustator as a way to show designers and illustrators that LW can be an effective tool for 3D, there are alternatives to c4d! Illustrator is also brilliant at rounding corners. I originally started in Affinity Designer but found a couple of bugs that would have unnecessary lengthened the tutorial to get around. Otherwise yes, Illustrator could be totally skipped so PX Bezier would be useful.

As useful as it is, sounds like we have gone through similar pains regarding Shifter/point order. Also worth noting is LWs weakness in copy/pasting displacement nodes to multiple objects.

Fertiliser would be great if it was nodal and didn't break everytime I changed something in my scene!

The Spline Control method totally eliminates the user needing to know anything about point orders (which they shouldn't) and its easier to add elements and update an object pointing down Z in a straight line - it's a good starting point for quick visualisation.

True..I tested fertilizer and it is great if you donīt do to many changes, but as you said, it breaks the update changes ..I canīt just replace the object and expect it to work..among other things.
And yes..you would have to take in account the point amount at least with shifter, it is no big deal for simple things like a road, just set it to four points and start from top, itīs just a matter of extruding out the roads in the same path direction..so that wouldnīt be much of a problem, if you have road several segments, treat them as multiobjects.
The speed time node can be used to control the speed of the shift/growing obviously.

I could for instance use one single road object growing, then have the side parts of them growing out as well, but I would have to copy and paste back the section quads on the side of the road and then flip them ..then extrude, (extend will screw up the point order)..so once the shifter has run its first grow and finished that, it will start grow the side sections..but if I would want them to split at the same time in some intersection, then I would have to treat it as two objects, or use weightmaps and fertilizer in some way.

bryphi77 would ofcourse handle that with ease with his nodes, I still havenīt managed to take the time and look through his stuff..I am ashamed for that, especially since he have done so much work there :o

ernpchan
04-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Beautiful tutorial. Thanks for making it.

raw-m
05-01-2016, 03:13 AM
That's a really neat effect, and thanks for the great tutorial! Love the little bounce each building does when it reaches height, and a great idea to use the -/+ on Bevel to form the various height buildings. Did you set individual surfaces for the various buildings, or use something like DPKit=>DP Part Info with a Gradient to set their colors randomly? Also, what tool do you use to pop up the little blue instruction boxes in the tutorial?

I'll probably try it myself, but I'll probably convert the curves imported from Illustrator (well, I use Corel Draw) to Skelegons in Modeler, use Split Skelegons to cut up the long, straight skelegons to about the same density as the curves, and then have specific road geometries (multi-segmented box) for each road segment that matches the number of skelegons in each curve. That's just my preference for working with Skelegons in Modeler rather than Bones in Layout.

Thanks all!

Good spot on the bounce that I forgot to mention! After making the tutorial I made a little change to the buildings displacement to get the little bounce, basically adding an extra key. I also changed from using the colour output to alpha as I find it slightly easier to read to get a value above white (although I don't think it would have made any difference upping the alpha value!) - using Curves instead of Gradient would have been better!

You're right on the texturing - screen grab attached.

If you have TrueArts Spline Density then getting evenly space points on a spline is super easy!

I use ScreenFlow on the Mac for all this screen capture stuff. It has a really simple to use built in editor with loads of custom bits and bobs. Slightly more expensive than others, but the time it saves you....!

daforum
05-01-2016, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the tutorial raw-m.

It would be good if there was a "gravity" node ( like the motion modifier ) to add bounce to objects after they settle.
( "gravity" node = copyright daforum ) :)

MonroePoteet
05-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Hi raw-m, thanks for the details! I did a first draft attempt at following the tutorial yesterday, and I think your process is superb. Thanks again for the tutorial.

mTp

wesleycorgi
05-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the tutorial raw-m.

It would be good if there was a "gravity" node ( like the motion modifier ) to add bounce to objects after they settle.
( "gravity" node = copyright daforum ) :)

Not a node, perhaps this plugin could be used to give the bounce: http://squirreldome.com/Newtonian.htm

raw-m
05-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Hi raw-m, thanks for the details! I did a first draft attempt at following the tutorial yesterday, and I think your process is superb. Thanks again for the tutorial.

mTp
Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear (and slightly relieved) it works for others! :D

jeric_synergy
05-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear (and slightly relieved) it works for others! :D
Very clear tutorial for an excellent (and SELL-ABLE!!) effect. I usually don't like audio-less tutes, but your captioning actually makes it clearer than some people's narration!

Thanks for all the hard work! :bowdown:

bazsa73
05-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Nice tutorial, thanks!