PDA

View Full Version : Server vs Desktop? Which one

Airwaves
04-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Here goes the debate. I have a desktop that I use for lightwave and all my other tools to make animated videos. It is getting old and slow. I already have a render farm so this is not a problem for me but I really need to figure this out.

Should I build a server or a desktop to use as my main workstation?

This is why I am asking, I know that having more CPU's will increase the render times I hit F9. I also think it will help with VPR (not totally sure on if that uses GPU more). Here is what I use lots of in Lightwave to give you an idea.

1. Bullet Dynamics ( I don't even think this uses more than one core- not sure though)
2. VPR (as I said before)
3. Chronosculpt
4. Nevron Motion
5. And of course the basic stuff that we all use everday in lightwave.

So I need help knowing what you would build if you could build a Server or a Dekstop? I look forward to your input.

ernpchan
04-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Never heard of a server being used as a workstation. A beefy workstation should be fine. A server has more to do with network management.

Airwaves
04-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Let me correct myself when I say server. I mean a server motherboard that has two cpu's on it. It would probably be two Xeon processors. I would still have it in a computer tower like the one I have. I am just wondering if the processing power would be worth the extra benefit of a server motherboard.

spherical
04-29-2016, 05:55 PM
Server MBs are faster for rendering, yes, because of the CPUs they support and their underlying bus structure; which are optimized for throughput. But, it sounds like rendering isn't an issue because of the farm. Rather, you are asking if one or the other will make manipulating the applications faster. In that case (perhaps Lewis can chime in) a server board may not be as much of a help as a good workstation board and a Pro GPU having a lot of VRAM. Pro GPUs (nVidia Quadro) are better at manipulating more lines/points than a consumer (gaming) card.

That is if you are going to stay in CPU-centric rendering. You could get more bang for the bucks in a good workstation board that has enough expansion slots to put multiple consumer GPUs in and run Octane. Pro GPUs aren't an advantage in rendering. But, that would then not be immediately compatible with the farm, as you need a standalone license for each box to be able to render on its GPU; whereas you can add multiple GPUs to one box on one license.

I think you meant "decrease the render times"? Increasing is going the wrong way. :D

Airwaves
04-29-2016, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I want to be able to use VPR and have it go quicker and when I hit F9 as well. I have been looking on this site https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Intel-CPUs-Xeon-E5-vs-Core-i7-634/

The other thing I really really want to go faster is the Bullet Dynamics but if I have understood other threads correctly it only uses one core when working and that is why it takes so long.

If you vote Desktop Which is the Processor you would recommend? Thanks

Areyos Alektor
05-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Take a server for rendering has advantages such as the redundancy of the power or the fact that they are made to work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

By cons for the GPU is a low profile, is not a problem but it is to be taken into account.