PDA

View Full Version : free HitFilm 4 Express

lightscape
04-29-2016, 06:51 AM
http://hitfilm.com/blog/4-express-launch/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUvZtzc1M-k

calilifestyle
04-29-2016, 12:43 PM
I'm glad they are making free version of their software. I just hope it's not like Express 3 .

Schwyhart
04-29-2016, 03:55 PM
I've always been intrigued with HitFilm, but my work uses FCPX, Motion, and Compressor. So, unless I do it on my own time, I'll never use it.

erikals
04-29-2016, 05:44 PM
i like the idea, but i found i like the idea of Fusion + DaVinci Resolve better... (free apps)

by the way, Express / Pro comparison
http://hitfilm.com/store/hitfilm-4-express#effects-starter

calilifestyle
04-29-2016, 06:15 PM
yeah Fusion and Resolve are a nicer combo. I think it whines down to users end goal of unlocking all features. If you tell someone you will pay 1000 bucks to unlock it. Then i think they would rather start with Hitfilm exprees . I know the free version is more then enough to get going . But new users don't see that. I experienced that with a friend . I told him all about Fusion and Resolve and how it's free. He asked how much is the full price, i told him and he said no way . He went ahead and bought Sony movie studio 13 for 80 bucks.

erikals
04-29-2016, 06:28 PM
He went ahead and bought Sony movie studio 13 for 80 bucks.
ha! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
i bought Sony movie studio 12, used.

only to encounter a few "what the..." moments
maybe he will do the same, depends on how much he is going to use it.

Fusion + Resolve is a steal. but yeah, it does come down to workflow / need too.

wibly wobly
04-29-2016, 07:44 PM
I picked up Hitfilm3 last year sometime as a cross upgrade with Vegas. Upgraded to 4 when I saw it was supporting alembic. You can toss clips from Vegas into Hitfilm, do effects to it and bring it right back into Vegas pretty seamlessly. It's a lot like AE / Premiere and now Fusion / Resolve. I don't think the sharing of clips is working with 4 yet. Vegas needs to sort things out from what I understand after the update.

Anyway, it's a interesting little program that has a lot of canned effects that can give you a headstart with some things. I've used it for some simple, small thing and it seems ok. It's very AE like compared to other compositing apps. It's much better at working in a 3D environment then native AE. The particles seem pretty. I'm using it right now on a project to assist with Fusion. If they start being able to import alembic cameras and nulls, then I might do more with it. Last I checked it only used it was only able to bring in models and backed animation.

Snosrap
04-29-2016, 07:45 PM
I think Hitfilm is great! I picked it up as a full working freebie with a Sony Vegas 13 upgrade last year and it's just great. The Express version is the same as the paid version with one big downfall - it only exports to YouTube - making it all but worthless IMO.

lightscape
04-29-2016, 07:49 PM
a lot of canned effects

for low budget this is big and no need to do stuff in 3d if you can cheat it in post.

wibly wobly
04-29-2016, 09:06 PM
@lightscape absolutely. Canned effects are a great starting point. I remember it was the only redeemable feature that Combustion had when I used it 100 years ago. /s As long as you fiddle a bit so it doesn't stand out, they be a huge time saver.

Between the two programs, I'm hoping I can avoid doing anything with Adobe again. Give Hitfilm a few more versions and it will probably work for a awful lot of people. As it is, it's very usable right now. I find there's just a few things missing for me. The 3D handling being the number one. It's a pretty new program so I don't know if it's deep enough for really complex work. Could be totally wrong but, that's the impression I have with it so far. I typically do a lot of compositing that combines rendered elements and sticking other elements "into" the scenes space. There's a script that sends LW cameras and nulls into it but, haven't tried it in a little while. I was having issues with it that I'm told are fixed. Just haven't had the time. Native alembic import would be ideal. Hopefully, in the next couple of months, I'll be able to give a shakedown to more of it's features.

Philbert
05-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Sorry I posted this in Gneral Discussion since it had nothing to do with LightWave.

@Snosrap It does not only export to YouTube. I've been using it since version 2 Express and I always export to MP4 format then upload to YouTube manually or of course what ever else I want to do with an MP4 video.

Sad thing with V4 Express is that they took away the 3D object import. You can't even buy it as an add-on anymore. You have to buy the Pro version of you want that now.

Snosrap
05-02-2016, 07:43 PM
@Snosrap It does not only export to YouTube. I've been using it since version 2 Express and I always export to MP4 format then upload to YouTube manually or of course what ever else I want to do with an MP4 video. Yep my bad. It's just as bad though as HitFilm is not a full fledged editor and I hate to import my work into my editor with any compression.

Philbert
05-02-2016, 07:45 PM
How is it not a full fledged editor? I do everything in it that I used to do with Premiere and After Effects. What format would you prefer that's not compressed?

Snosrap
05-02-2016, 08:03 PM
How is it not a full fledged editor? I do everything in it that I used to do with Premiere and After Effects. What format would you prefer that's not compressed?
Well for one there is hardly any controls for sound. My workflow is Hitfilm for effects and grading and then Sony Vegas for editing and sound - so I like to export uncompressed AVI out of Hitfilm and build out my final animation in Vegas. And occasionally go back in Hitfilm for a final once over. Hitfilm is great - I love it - but a non-linear video editor it is not.

Philbert
05-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Of course it is. It may not have every feature you personally want but that doesn't change the fact that it's a non-linear video editor.

lightscape
05-02-2016, 08:11 PM
but a non-linear video editor it is not.

It is but its not that great. Its the reason I haven't upgraded my hf pro 3 to pro 4.
They need to improve the nla to be on par with atleast vegas, improve performance with 4k video, etc. They're too focused on the 3d capabilities for this release which is not so useful for 3d artists.

Snosrap
05-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Of course it is. It may not have every feature you personally want but that doesn't change the fact that it's a non-linear video editor.Well yes I suppose technically it is. :) But I think Sony Movie Studio for $60 has more features and is better suited than Hitfilm for editing.