PDA

View Full Version : Days of rendering, now loading the LWS crashes Layout

jeric_synergy
04-29-2016, 01:05 AM
So I've been rendering a scene for several days, and today Layout is crashing on Load.

The only thing that has changed is the start/end render frame #.

Why might this be? It's a pretty basic scene.

Kaptive
04-29-2016, 05:13 AM
The why could be anything... but the result is a corrupted scene.
The solution might be a little more tricky depending on how much it is corrupted. I've solved issues like this before by using "load from scene", selecting everything and then deleting the standard light from the empty scene afterwards.
If this works, then just save it out, and carry on. Fingers crossed this will work for you. Others may have another solution. I wouldn't waste too much time thinking about why or how unless this solution fails, because it could be a huge number of things that are out of your control.
Good luck!

p.s. Just realised its you Jeric, I just replied quickly without really looking much beyond the post. Have you not had this happen before? You've been around for a while :) Anyways, still, good luck!!

JonW
04-29-2016, 07:57 AM
I haven't had the problem for ages. But when I did, in the end, I had (& still have) a copy of LW on the SSD & just reinstalled LW. It was quicker than fiddling around.

jeric_synergy
04-29-2016, 09:50 AM
( #aflw )

The why could be anything... but the result is a corrupted scene.
The solution might be a little more tricky depending on how much it is corrupted. I've solved issues like this before by using "load from scene", selecting everything and then deleting the standard light from the empty scene afterwards.
If this works, then just save it out, and carry on.
?? I think my post was ambiguous: Layout launches fine, but a specific SCENE, which has been rendering merrily along, now kills it.
I have yet to deploy my usual attempts, because there's no deadline and I've already got ~1850 frames for a VR environment. I really hope to salvage the scene because it's got all sorts of fiddly stuff in it.

p.s. Just realised its you Jeric, I just replied quickly without really looking much beyond the post. Have you not had this happen before? You've been around for a while :) Anyways, still, good luck!!
Jussssssst infrequently enough that I always disremember what worked last time. :( Thanks for the "Load From Scene" tip: that has worked in the past. I can't remember if Layout does the autosave thing-- I recently turned that ON iirc, just for this kinda thing.

Environmentally, one of my drive partitions is showing red, but it's still got gigabytes free and it's not a system drive, so I think that's a bit of a red herring.

Historically, the only nagging problem is an inability to get HUB to work unless I script AHK to launch everything, starting with the HUB. And it's been a while since I used ScreamerNet. These kinda "poison file" issues are very hit-and-miss.

spherical
04-29-2016, 05:41 PM
I can't remember if Layout does the autosave thing-- I recently turned that ON iirc, just for this kinda thing.

Which may be a contributing factor. I always save manually, when it is a good time to do so. Relying on an auto opens opportunities for situations that the programmer didn't expect and code for.

Environmentally, one of my drive partitions is showing red, but it's still got gigabytes free and it's not a system drive, so I think that's a bit of a red herring.

Ignoring it isn't a good idea and just may be related.

Historically, the only nagging problem is an inability to get HUB to work unless I script AHK to launch everything, starting with the HUB.

I've recently re-became a fan of -0 using the Interprocess Communications System, CommandIPC to keep everything in synch. A scene I'm working on is very heavy and the Layout UI was slowing down. Running without the Hub sped it back up dramatically. I found that out because I had seen some odd issues with updating surfaces between the two when the Hub was running. I'd make a change in Modeler and save, go back to Layout, work on something unrelated, go back to Modeler later and find that the surface in question was re-updated by Layout to where it was before the change in Modeler. It's as if Layout didn't get the memo. FTS! This is complex enough that I don't want stuff going on behind my back. I do enough stuff over on my own, thanks.

jeric_synergy
04-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions..... FWIW, LoadFromScene did not work (Crashed at I think the Ubercam), but another old .....trick?....desperation move?.... did: loaded a LWS from a different Content Path, then loaded the scene in question. Both from "Recent Scenes". Scene loaded, and I immediately saved an iteration. I theorize that somehow switching Content Dirs resets/initializes something somewhere.

Apparently I did NOT enable Layout AUTOSAVE, so that's not an issue.

Ma3rk
04-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions..... FWIW, LoadFromScene did not work (Crashed at I think the Ubercam), but another old .....trick?....desperation move?.... did: loaded a LWS from a different Content Path, then loaded the scene in question. Both from "Recent Scenes". Scene loaded, and I immediately saved an iteration. I theorize that somehow switching Content Dirs resets/initializes something somewhere.

Apparently I did NOT enable Layout AUTOSAVE, so that's not an issue.

Good to hear that you recovered the scene.

Do you have a radiosity cache going? There is the issue of those continuing to build in size as the scene renders.

jeric_synergy
04-30-2016, 10:59 AM
No radiosity cache: I turned it off (and GI) after the first render. It was getting (nearly) asymptotically slower as the long-ish render continued (2000 frames). Heat death of the universe and all that....

I think it may have something to do w/ubercam: when I accidentally hit the Camera tab, which launches the Ubercam copyright notice, the recovered Scene crashed. I'll have to ping Chilton about that. If the saved scene was on the Camera tab when saved, and if it loads with that tab active, that might cause the crash.

.....hmmmm: is the state of the UI saved in the LWS file? It seems that it might be, if memory serves (and it often doesn't).

+: Another pointer to Ubercam is that when I used LoadFromScene, it crashed when it got to the camera. If I were at that machine, I'd check by using LFS but w/o importing the camera.

To be fair, I think I'm at least one version behind on my Ubercam updates.

m.d.
05-01-2016, 06:27 AM
surprised no one gave you this, but over the years in LW I have never lost a scene that couldn't be recovered this way...

Open the LWS scene in notepad, remove the suspected plugins entries .....über cam in this case....save it as a copy
Run the scene which should now load, and add the plugin again

It's usually a plugin, but you can manually edit the file to remove whatever is crashing your scene. You should see where LW stops loading the scene in the loading dialogue.

You can remove objects, animations....anything you want...

jeric_synergy
05-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Oh, yeah, I knew of that ( :eek: ), but it's always good to be reminded. Just didn't have a clue which one it would be until some more flailing about.

Now I have 2000 frames to play around with, and most pertinantly to experiment with depth insertion.

ASCII LWS files are one of the hidden advantages of LightWave.

JamesCurtis
05-02-2016, 03:09 PM
"I think it may have something to do w/ubercam: when I accidentally hit the Camera tab, which launches the Ubercam copyright notice, the recovered Scene crashed. I'll have to ping Chilton about that. If the saved scene was on the Camera tab when saved, and if it loads with that tab active, that might cause the crash." - jeric

I've had issues with Ubercam. Mine was/is with the fact that I have a 2 monitor system and it seems that Ubercam has a few issues with 2nd monitors. One in particular relates to having a settings window on the 2nd monitor. also another, I believe, with my F9 render window being on the 2nd monitor. I did mention this to the dev, but I'm not sure if anything has been addressed yet.

spherical
05-02-2016, 04:23 PM
I've had issues with Ubercam. Mine was/is with the fact that I have a 2 monitor system and it seems that Ubercam has a few issues with 2nd monitors. One in particular relates to having a settings window on the 2nd monitor.

I had this and reported it, but it was with an early version.

also another, I believe, with my F9 render window being on the 2nd monitor.

That's where mine usually is, but I'm using Shift Camera for the current project so will have to check UberCam out on it after this render completes.

jeric_synergy
05-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Two monitor system here also. F9 window seems to want to use #2 mon, so maybe that's UCam's problem with the LWS.

spherical
05-03-2016, 02:24 AM
Two monitor system here also. F9 window seems to want to use #2 mon, so maybe that's UCam's problem with the LWS.

Ok. I've suspected this from a couple of previous threads. The Image Viewer window doesn't "seem to want to use #2 monitor". It goes where ever you place other windows that are of that type. SO, initiate a render, while it is running move it to monitor #1 and Abort the render. It will then show up over there every time; along with the other windows that use that display convention.