PDA

View Full Version : Materials Keep Reseting

lmstudio
04-28-2016, 05:15 PM
The situation: brought in an .obj sequence from Blender to use with my Shekinah effect I did in LW. FBX didn't bring in the animation, and Blender doesn't support alembic yet or I'd do that. So .obj sequence. Each "frame" came with its own .mtl which I deleted. Brought in a camera move from Blender with the .chan script. So far so good. The camera moves right, and the new object has it's animation. I go to apply a texture in the surface editor, copying it from another object in the scene. When I hit "Render", the new object renders with a default material. When I go back to the surface editor, all the settings have reverted back to their default state.

I've tried saving the material I like and loading it onto the new object, but any time I render or advance a frame, it goes back to default. So then I thought it was because it's an obj sequence, maybe it was per frame. I went back to the frame I had just set and it was back at the default. I'm out of ideas, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've tried searching google and this forum, but since I'm not fluent with all the terms in LW, I might be missing something. Thanks!

Sensei
04-28-2016, 05:56 PM
Each frame, it's different object, loaded from scratch, and replacing older one frame.
You need to apply surface to the all objects (and save as .lwo),
or find a way to set them during run time..

You could convert them from .obj to .lwo,
then apply Global Materials http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu to them (Spread Global Materials),
and when they will be loaded,
they will automatically look up on what is in Global Materials Global Node Editor..
Using the same settings in the future.

lmstudio
04-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Thanks Sensei. Is there a script or something that might help me batch convert 280 obj's to lwo? I will look into the Global materials thing too. And it sounds like this can't be done in Layout, but has to be in the Modeling part, is that correct?

Sensei
04-28-2016, 06:09 PM
In the case of Global Materials: you should load the all objects at once, at the same time (as .lwo),
then use Spread Surface Materials,
and use Save All Objects to write them to disk.
Once it's done, Clear Scene, then use Object Replacement,
and only one surface name should show up, in Global Materials Node Editor.
I have tried it ~year ago, in v11.6.x,
and it worked with object sequence made this way.

Sensei
04-28-2016, 06:14 PM
And it sounds like this can't be done in Layout, but has to be in the Modeling part, is that correct?

Very unlikely.

lmstudio
05-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Thank you, I will try that.