PDA

View Full Version : Instance Limits?

objuan
04-28-2016, 03:14 PM
I'm animating a rose-esque flower opening. I created 1 petal, with some morph shapes, and animated it rotating out, scaling, and morphing. I've been playing with Instancing a Radial Array to duplicate that motion. I randomized things a bit, and I used a couple nodes (pats self on back) to Time Offset each petal based on it's ID index. I'm pretty happy with the way it is opening up - but here's the hitch - once it gets to a certain amount of open, I want it to stay there, rather than each petal continuing to follow the leader until they are all intersecting at the out most open position.

Any ideas on the best way to set this up? I'd definitely prefer not to have to do them all by hand. (He love's me not if it's petal by petal...)

jeric_synergy
04-28-2016, 04:57 PM
Is the problem that each petal has a different level of morph that corresponds to "done!"?

MonroePoteet
04-28-2016, 05:38 PM
Depending on how your nodes are set up, you might be able to use a Gradient node with Distance to Object as input to delimit the Time Offset. Set up the keys in the Gradient to be larger the farther away from the center of the rose, and then multiply your Time Offset node network output by the Gradient output.

mTp

objuan
04-29-2016, 02:53 AM
Hmmm... Jeric my issue is that each petal has the same "done" value. When the lead petal first hits done - I like it pretty well right then cause all the other petals are trailing behind it. But then they all catch up and I end up with a wobblyass radar dish instead of the rose I had 100 frames ago.

Monroe I dig the concept that you're going for, but I'm not too sure how to implement it? For one thing originally all my instances rotate out of the same center point. I have played a little with adding a little radius to the radial instance generator, so they wouldn't all be at the same point, but they are still all gonna be the same distance from the center. Second, in Nodes (which I know little to nothing about) when I create a Gradient and double click on it, it only gives a few input options, distance not being one of them. Finally, I'm not sure what I would apply it too? My setup right now is modifying the TimeOffset based on the ID Index, and is working, but I need a way to freeze my animation in the middle (preferably gently spline animate the speed of the animation)

Didn't I see some tut a long time back where dude had a spaceship with like 8 moving parts for landing, and he animated them all, and then linked it all to 1 slider or null that drove all the animation? What was that tool called, and can it control a bunch of instances? (or can I save out all the instances to animated layers and then control them?)

Short of that, I'm thinking I can make like 1 ring of instanced petals, and then duplicate that several times and nest them inside each other and animate each ring separately and specify that they don't open quite as far as the last. Might actually be a better and more flexible setup for some of my needed moves anyway (and animating every ring is better than ever petal). Still, sure seems like there should be a way to more or less automate the whole thing off 1 petal...?

jeric_synergy
04-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Hmmm... Jeric my issue is that each petal has the same "done" value. When the lead petal first hits done - I like it pretty well right then cause all the other petals are trailing behind it. But then they all catch up and I end up with a wobblyass radar dish instead of the rose I had 100 frames ago.
So, it's good when they are all at different points in the morph, but not when they're ALL at 100%, right? (That was my meaning.)

I'm surprised that you're getting staggered morphing in Instances at all: I thought I saw a while back that all instances share the same deformation of the source object. (???)

Anyway, some screenshots would be very helpful.
++++++++++++++
OOOoo, ooo, just reread the original: please post a screenshot of your time offset network, I'd like to see that.

MonroePoteet
04-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Yes, I've yet to get Time Offset to work with Morphs, so I'd be interested in your setup.

RE: Gradient node, the Inputs in the pull-down are just a set of default Inputs. You can take any Scalar and plug it into the Input of the Gradient. So, if you load up an Item Info node, double-click it to select a central Null, then bring in a Math=>Vector=>Distance node, you can get the distance between the Instance and the Null. This could then be used either as an inverted multiplier for your calculated Time Offset or Time Scale (i.e. the closer to the Null, the slower the Time Offset is applied and the less Morph is applied), or run it through a Gradient to fine-tune the curve.

Again, I'd be interested in how you get Morphs to be affected by the Time Offset. It works great with keyframes (for me), but nothing else.

mTp

jeric_synergy
04-29-2016, 10:58 AM
..or run it through a Gradient to fine-tune the curve.
Or a Curve node to get even better control.

DAMAKERS
04-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Hello

am curious about that morph time offset too :)

Didn't I see some tut a long time back where dude had a spaceship with like 8 moving parts for landing

That is using cyclist, but not sure if it works with instances, cuz it uses the keyframes of the items that is going to drive

William Vaughan Cyclist Tutorial (https://youtu.be/mldxQlnawxA)

Oliver Simonne Using Cyclist To animate Landing Gear (https://youtu.be/Vkfig-cyb84)

In the other hand, i dont see the need of instances to do the petals open, check out Bryan's channel, he did time ago a nice tutorial of growing vegetation, and explains how to do the flower opening with morphs and nodes

Here is the part were he set the nodal aniamtion for the petals.

bryphi77 vegetation growth part 8 (https://youtu.be/-Q8AVtAeDQs)

hope this info can be helpfull :thumbsup:

pinkmouse
04-30-2016, 10:42 AM
I'm animating a rose-esque flower opening.

Sounds fun!

Any ideas on the best way to set this up? I'd definitely prefer not to have to do them all by hand. (He love's me not if it's petal by petal...)

Have a look at my tutorials below, though not directly relevant, they may show you how to plug things together to get your required effect. If that doesn't help, post a cut down scene, (one petal with morph will do).

objuan
05-03-2016, 05:46 PM
Hey all, thanks for the ideas. Sorry for the delayed response, that there life often gets in the way of the digi world.

My instancing of Morph-mixer morphs seems to work fine, including the Node based time delay. I am running 11.6.3. The scene is attached. As you can see it is all kinds of whack at the moment, in the midst of a variety of failed experiments. But in theory it could get there, maybe. If I could run the beginning and then stop everything at like frame 500, that would be cool. Petal Thick is the animation driver with the morphs, and Rose Ring (which is nested some) is where the Instancer lives.

I dabbled with Cyclist, which does not seem to affect instances. Is there away to setup the instances, and then say change each instance and it's animation to an object?

Anyhow, I'm feeling pretty frustrated and confused at the moment, but here's the morphs for folks to play with.

objuan
05-04-2016, 11:07 AM
I guess maybe I'm not getting staggered morph shapes, just staggering the rest of my animation. Sorry for the confusion. This one seems to have battered my brain a bit.

MonroePoteet
05-04-2016, 11:31 AM
I played with this a little. Really nice effect if it would work!

I think what's going on is that the Time Offset is only being applied to the keyframes, specifically the Bank going from 0 degrees to 99 degrees on the thick petal. It looks like the morphs are being applied synchronously, ignoring the Time Offset.

What I ended up doing was removing the Bank envelope on the Thick Petal, and then adding Bank to the "final" morph targets, which were Open, Rose Lips, Warble and a bit of Petal and Shear. By removing the Bank envelope, it became clear that the morphs were being applied synchronously, ignoring the Time Offset, even if I bumped the Multiply node up to 10.0 to maximize the (non-existent) Time Offset.

I think the wierd reversal of the opening (i.e. Bank rotation) is Instancer applying the morphs *after* the keyframe motion, so the rotated petal is reverting back to the original morph points. It doesn't look like Instancer has any selector for choosing the order of deformation application.

BTW, I'm doing all this on LW 2015.3, so it still behaves poorly. I really, REALLY hope that the Instancer in LW "Next" allows Time Scale and Time Offset variability INCLUDING morphs, MDDs, bone rigs, etc. Seems extremely restrictive as is, IMO.

mTp