PDA

View Full Version : Backup procedure

Asticles
04-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Hi all.

I've started to work with Lightwave and now that I've almost finished the project I would like to backup incrementally the scene and objects. I've seen the options to save an incremental copy of objects and scene. But I'm not sure to have zillions of files on objects folder is the right solution.

What is the best way to backup an incremental copy of the work done for example daily? Is there any way to pack the scene plus objects and textures(without knowing if some resources are on another folder, for example the personal 3d library)?

Thanks!

Sensei
04-28-2016, 12:40 PM
File > Package Scene, is available in newer LW versions.

I also wrote SaveSceneAndAllObjects (Increment and not).
Download from http://www.trueart.eu
And check how it works.

Asticles
04-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Thanks Sensei for your answer!

I've checked package scene and works great! It grabs images no matter the source location! Thanks!

Also checked the plugin and also works great. Although I think I will use better the package, the incremental makes a copy of every obj, and then the folder will have too much files.

Thanks for your support!

Sensei
04-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Package scene will make you whole folder with all objects repeated.
Actually amount of files .lws and .lwo will be the same, but amount of images, will be increased.
Imagine you have 100 MB images: in every packaged folder will be copy of them..

MonroePoteet
04-28-2016, 02:29 PM
I use Package Scene a lot, and I'd recommend ZIPing the resulting folder hierarchy, moving it to a different disk, unpacking it and trying to load the scene. There have been a FEW instances (and I can't remember them off the top of my head) where an asset was missing from the package. If I remember correctly, it had to do with a third-party plug-in which stored data externally for itself (rather than using the Load and Save plug-in functions!). Just a check to make sure you got ALL the assets in the package.

mTp

spherical
04-28-2016, 04:09 PM
Heck, I take the direct approach and make backup copies of only the files I have changed that day. Easy to tell by looking at the time/date stamp. They go into a sequentially numbered directory that resides on another drive as part of a growing tree to keep major departures separated. Sometimes I make a big change to an object or scene and need to still have access to elements of them or earlier versions. The separated directories make organizing assets I need easy. I do the same with render versions in case I want to go back and make a comparison. Takes less than a minute, including copying them over to another machine entirely that mirrors the complete backup directory tree; just in case. Efficient on disk space, easy to administer, no unintended redundant duplication. The scene I'm working on now has 220+ objects; most of them fairly complex. No point in backing them all up every day. The ones that haven't been changed today are already backed up, twice, sometimes three times.

If I'm going to attempt something risky with an object or scene, I copy/paste it right into the same directory before making the attempt. The copy is then sequentially numbered by the OS. If the attempt goes wrong or just didn't work out, deleting the working version and renaming the numbered version is a really comprehensive UnDo. When I make my backups using the above method, these numbered files go along with the working files; again, just in case. Having options when things go wheels-up is a Good Thing. Best of all worlds, IMO.

MonroePoteet
04-28-2016, 04:39 PM
I should mention I also use CrashPlan as a general backup utility, backing up my Newtek folder (among many other things) to an external NAS (Network Accessed Storage which is a Mac Mini with an array of 1 TB disks). I render framestores to a separate set of folders on the NAS, so they're not backed up.

I only buy the single-system coverage, which was $32.99 for this year although it's time for me to upgrade to a "family" plan for multiple systems. The other systems are only backed up once per 24 hours on the single-system plan.

CrashPlan wakes up every 15 minutes (or so) and backs up anything that's changed to the NAS. So, as long as I remember to write things out to disk (so CrashPlan sees the changes), I can recover previous days / weeks / months versions of any file. If I'm making precarious changes to a model / scene, I'll use the _nnn versioning as well.

For example, I was working on a dog sled model for the Modeling Challenge last January, which I just applied a variety of Wood textures to a few days ago. As a test, I just restored one of three untextured versions that CrashPlan made automatically while I was working on the model back on January 19th. The restore took about a minute. However, this is not the "package" of all components of a particular LW scene as mentioned in the original post. CrashPlan is a general backup utility which doesn't know anything about LW structure...it just backs up files that have changed.

mTp

Asticles
04-29-2016, 01:22 AM
Thanks all for your answers!

Do you think there should be implemented a good backup system by newtek?

MonroePoteet
04-29-2016, 08:11 AM
I think the Package Scene and ZIPing the output is a fine backups system for Lightwave. Other than making (reasonably) sure that Package Scene gets all the assets, I don't think Newtek's job is to provide any further backup system. I'm not a professional animator, though.

mTp