PDA

View Full Version : New in Maya 2016

coremi
04-22-2016, 11:35 AM
I have never understood why in the world Lightwave never got a module doing anything similar to this. Newtek bread and butter is broadcast, they even sold and promote a lot of Lightwave 3D with Toaster etc... This was maybe the best thing they could do to have lightwave sold for every Toaster sold out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xetf8KqDF5c

Big puzzle for me. Cinema 4D has this for years and conquered the entire broadcast market.

jasonwestmas
04-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Not a puzzle if you consider that LW3D group is trying to rewrite lightwave while preserving the strengths of some classic LW techniques. Very time consuming for such a small team.

Schwyhart
04-22-2016, 11:53 AM
It's still Autodesk

djwaterman
04-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I must admit, that is impressive.

bazsa73
04-22-2016, 01:50 PM
Most of this can be done in LW. A waving set of cubes? That's instancing plus a sine node. Big deal.

Ma3rk
04-22-2016, 02:30 PM
... even Element 3D in After Effects.

prometheus
04-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Most of this can be done in LW. A waving set of cubes? That's instancing plus a sine node. Big deal.

end results perhaps..but in this case I think they indeed are making a point about Extremly fast and easy, that I wouldnīt compare with the way you set it up in lightwave today, unless you can do this in your sleep like Brian Phillips (Bryphi77)

In this case it seems it is a special tool developed for ease of use and fast results, though nodes are cool and powerful, I would actually want it presented in this kind of way where you got expandable menus and value sliders to control it, instead of going looking for the node you need and want, then add it, plugit right, then open the node and edit parameters.

Perhaps in the future when nodes can be pretty much any tool and window UI is worked on a bit better, you would just add the motion graphics tool in a universal node viewer, then enter it as one single motion graphics node, and all the parameters are set up with proper input for what they do and proper parameter settings, with option to expand on more advanced individual controls.

The slime thrown at the motion graphics is also a different story:)

Also to note is the viewport rendering in almost realtime (looks faster even than lightwave) seem to be a good step with additional motion graphics if they though they had competition from cinema4d.

As coremi says, itīs abit pitty they got sidetracked with rewrite and it taking a long time...but then again, In my opinion, I suspect It might be as Jasonwestmas says, now the lw team has layed the foundation for a new geometry engine that should allow them for faster development in certain areas, letīs hope this type of stuff is within that supposed faster development, several years more before things happens, and all that may loose itīs credibility.

This stuff from emulyator is cool, and great in someways, but using a tool with a lot of math input, scripting and little direction on what it does, that is not a thing for me to use..I want a tool that clearly says, expand animatio array left, right, up down etc..or rectangular array left right, divisions etc..not presented with math inputs in a script list with lotīs of node buttons to push.
Future teaser...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phyGiwtFOwU

prometheus
04-22-2016, 03:05 PM
The shown ifluence node in maya is doable in lightwave for instance, takes a little longer to setup, while in Maya..you just drag and drop the tool and then move around, in lightwave you have to add a null..preferably name it as influence, then go the instancer, go to scale tab, change to uniform, enter the scale channel, add a gradient, set proper scale distance etc, select your reference (influnce) null in the drop down menu..then try and move around, you will find it wonīt be any change until moving the time slider, Unless you activate the studio live, then it will update the scaling of the instances in realtime in openGL, but working with vpr may cause issues.

Michael

MichaelT
04-22-2016, 03:06 PM
Hmm.. looks like they cut & pasted effects from the demoscene. I've seen this for years (as in way back in 90s) Not saying this is bad though, it is very nice to see ideas like this, finding its way into commercial products.
A link for inspiration perhaps?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYVDuEOLLQ&list=PL9HVvEQXdWVaIrvIdtxPqY97nPHJiEdsJ
Many videos in that list, but some are quite good. If your PC is decent enough you can find the demos here (as well the source code for them, and even their tools in some cases):
http://www.pouet.net
https://files.scene.org (this is being updated, so I gave you the archive)
http://demozoo.org/

THIBAULT
04-23-2016, 12:27 AM
Mograph with Lightwave ? Yes, sure !

https://www.youtube.com/user/bryphi77/videos

Incredible works by Bryphi77, who has very pleasant.

bazsa73
04-23-2016, 12:59 AM
I get the point, they made it comfortable and easy to use, that's true. But , they should have done it earlier regarding their size. :)

prometheus
04-23-2016, 04:44 AM
I get the point, they made it comfortable and easy to use, that's true. But , they should have done it earlier regarding their size. :)

shouldnīt they all:D though I at least donīt care much about that, more of what will happen will lightwave.

lightscape
04-23-2016, 06:56 AM
Awesome! These kinds of tweaks, instant workflow, presets, etc are sorely lacking in lw.
Its like those awesome tools that some people can't do without like rhiggit.
A mograph module for maya will attract c4d users. Would love to have a mograph module for lw.

ianr
04-23-2016, 07:37 AM
Shur looks ....fluid, like 3rdpowers tools

We need more o' this inactive stuff

Well Done!

Maybe LW3DG should bring out after LW2016 NeXt

something called 'Mo Bryphigraph' with all his

designs, flows & tweaks realised in a interactive

package to repay all his hard dedication.

Put that in your Pipe... Mr.Powers & Scmooke it,

& the opposition !

prometheus
04-23-2016, 07:47 AM
Awesome! These kinds of tweaks, instant workflow, presets, etc are sorely lacking in lw.
Its like those awesome tools that some people can't do without like rhiggit.
A mograph module for maya will attract c4d users. Would love to have a mograph module for lw.

Me too...at least enhanced nodes and node UI ..then simply drag and drop motion graphics node tools, just like dp has organized itīs tools under his name, a motion graphics main section ..where you can drag and drop rotate, influence, twist etc, one could of course already today make compound nodes, though I really do not like the way that is handled and itīs UI.

Looking at the Maya motion graphics tool again, the edge funtions within that motion graphics is pretty cool, donīt think that is even is possible without using particles, or at leas you would actually have tocopy and paste edges in modeler, then divide the edges..and then add instances to those points, but then it wouldnīt be "procedural" so you canīt go back and forth to change amount, using particles on edges may be better since you can change particle amount, and setting particle nozzle to object line and use fixed random will let you distribute the particles along the objects edges, once that is set up you can ofcourse use the instancing and use particle mode, If using particles though, it should be possible without copy and paste edges, just use object line, but for using points you would need to divide the edges.

Another situation that may be difficult, I think that would be the voxelize function, to use the object itself to fill with evenly spaced instances, and change on the fly amount and scaling, ofsetting etc, I think I saw someone doing that, with lightwave on the tube somewhere, so it may not be impossible, probably just much harder.

Netvudu
04-23-2016, 08:31 PM
The way the whole thing is setup and the quick but limited scope of the tools shown, clearly states that Cinema4D is the next target to try to takes users from for Autodesk.

lightscape
04-23-2016, 10:04 PM
Lots of stuff added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkUqZi1nXPY

lightscape
04-24-2016, 03:29 AM
Pose space sculpting, combination morph targets, new render group, etc, looks very useful and fast.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya/features/new

vncnt
04-24-2016, 08:11 AM
I liked their camera sequencer.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/maya/features/3d-animation/camera-sequencer

Netvudu
04-24-2016, 08:53 AM
dang...in the feature video they state they will keep developing Arnold for Houdini and C4D. Coming from Autodesk this means they will kill those connections sooner than I thought.

jeric_synergy
04-24-2016, 11:18 AM
Mograph with Lightwave ? Yes, sure !
https://www.youtube.com/user/bryphi77/videos
Incredible works by Bryphi77, who has very pleasant.
It's doable, but it is by no means easy. If it were, we all wouldn't be marvelling at Bryphi's creations.

lightscape
04-27-2016, 08:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3alXksTs6HI

jeric_synergy
04-28-2016, 12:20 AM
I'm rather happy up to 4:20-- we look pretty good! Although my LWM-Thicken counter-example tilted in a bit at the top (sides didn't say parallel)---BELAY THAT: changing "Algorithm" to "Contour" fixed that. Huzzah!

pinkmouse
04-28-2016, 01:30 AM
...Perhaps in the future when nodes can be pretty much any tool and window UI is worked on a bit better, you would just add the motion graphics tool in a universal node viewer, then enter it as one single motion graphics node, and all the parameters are set up with proper input for what they do and proper parameter settings, with option to expand on more advanced individual controls...

Indeed. What LW needs is some sort of definable master control panel for use with nodes that puts network parameters in a simple, usable control panel, much like you can do with Houdini by promoting variables. That's also why the new deform stack needs to be fully "nodally aware", to allow simple copy and paste and loading of presets, that update appropriately to the objects they apply to.

That also means we need true nodal variables, rather than having to use nulls all the time...;)

ianr
04-28-2016, 06:44 AM
Indeed. What LW needs is some sort of definable master control panel for use with nodes that puts network parameters in a simple, usable control panel, much like you can do with Houdini by promoting variables. That's also why the new deform stack needs to be fully "nodally aware", to allow simple copy and paste and loading of presets, that update appropriately to the objects they apply to.

That also means we need true nodal variables, rather than having to use nulls all the time...;)

ME LIKE O'Pink one!

Throw in an H-Eng2LW Pleease?

pinkmouse
04-28-2016, 07:01 AM
...Throw in an H-Eng2LW Pleease?

Frankly, if I were LW3DG, I'd look at deprecating all LW's effects stuff, licensing HE to do the numbercrunching and adding a LW style front end. Just think of all the time and effort it would save them, and, frankly, on past history, integrating effects is really not the LW3DG dev's strong point...

But that's me. :D

jasonwestmas
04-28-2016, 12:10 PM
Frankly, if I were LW3DG, I'd look at deprecating all LW's effects stuff, licensing HE to do the numbercrunching and adding a LW style front end. Just think of all the time and effort it would save them, and, frankly, on past history, integrating effects is really not the LW3DG dev's strong point...

Whoah, you're being far too radical for this forum! :D. . .I like that thought however.

In actuality all the effects stuff I believe came from outside sources that NT bought into but it wasn't really up to par compared to the competition, even in the LW 8 days.

coremi
04-28-2016, 12:52 PM
as we speak:

http://www.realflow.com/realflow_cinema4d

pretty amazing. Mograph combined with realflow.

Dexter2999
04-28-2016, 02:01 PM
The video was impressive. But was anyone else annoyed that he kept referring to a "node" that was all layer based stuff? Is that how the industry has gone? "Node" and "Nodal" are just buzzwords to be thrown around?

js33
04-28-2016, 07:31 PM

I totally agree. All the Houdini code for creating a HE plugin is open sourced and LW3DG can write the plugin but somehow I don't think it will come from LW3DG. Maybe someone like Juan, the Octane plugin developer could do one.

ianr
04-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Put once I poll up on Houdini forum, Hmm.
Disparity wlth ILM's dll's installs with Side Effects
version in their Libs where apparent > BUT>

An Houdini Dev send that =
'One App is Very Deep & Hard to approach in front end terms
The other App easy to approach in front end terms but not very deep.
Therefore LighWave would make a perfect front end for Houdini.

A dev said that tot me, even a Side Effects director agreed with me
at a London Party, so where the interest ?

It has to come from this Forum & be supported, all the code is on ghithub.

The forum just has to back someone, that's what Cinema 4d forum Did!!!

jeric_synergy
04-29-2016, 09:53 AM

Truly? Agitation from the users got Maxon and Adobe in bed together??

++++++++
Speaking of which: the After Effects product manager debuted a new feature in AE/C4DL last night at the Adobe HQ AE meeting just down the road: basically two flavors of exporting Text and Shape layers round-trip to C4DL, from AE and back. IOW, start a comp in AE, push it into C4DL, 3D-ify it with deformation modifiers/whatever, and get it back into your AE comp all seamlessly.

One flavor goes for visual fidelity, the other preserves editability. Stinkin' impressive.

js33
04-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Put once I poll up on Houdini forum, Hmm.
Disparity wlth ILM's dll's installs with Side Effects
version in their Libs where apparent > BUT>

An Houdini Dev send that =
'One App is Very Deep & Hard to approach in front end terms
The other App easy to approach in front end terms but not very deep.
Therefore LighWave would make a perfect front end for Houdini.

A dev said that tot me, even a Side Effects director agreed with me
at a London Party, so where the interest ?

I think there is enough interest here if there is attention put on it. I think someone like Juanjo Gonzalez, the LW Octane plugin developer, could create a HE plugin for LW if there is enough interest and profit for him to make it worthwhile. I just don't know technically if this is something a 3rd party could do through the SDK or if the LW3DG would have to do it with deeper access to the code.