PDA

View Full Version : Materials and Ambient Occlusion question

Snosrap
04-22-2016, 10:41 AM
In LW's node editor the material nodes seem to override all other settings with the exception of bump. So my question is, if materials override everything how do I get an ambient occlusion added to my material surface without doing it with render buffers and compositing? I don't know of a way to add a occlusion to a material. Any help would be appreciated.

mummyman
04-22-2016, 10:51 AM
Material mixer?

Snosrap
04-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Yeah I was kind of going down that path (see attached) but just wasn't getting any occlusion. -- Looks like the book is floating. :) --

Update - apparently the A - B order is significant. As I added a Standard material for its diffuse and plugged the Ambient Occlusion into that, but the output needed to be plugged into A to get the effect when using the mixer.

Sensei
04-22-2016, 01:14 PM
In LW's node editor the material nodes seem to override all other settings with the exception of bump.

That's not entirely true statement..
See this:

As you can see, it's Normal with Bump, not just Bump.
It works this way: Material node is reading Normal/Bump and if nothing is plugged to its node, it uses what is already plugged to general surface, and if nothing is plugged there, there is used what is in legacy settings in Surface Editor, and if nothing is there, there is used smoothed normal vector.

In TrueArt's Node Library http://www.trueart.eu there is Make Material which has additional inputs: Normal and Bump, to be able override them and propagate further in the node tree (grandchild node is asking parent "what is normal/bump?", and parent is asking it's parent "what is normal/bump?". If it's overriden at early stage, this info will propagate to the all child,grandchild,etc).

Snosrap
04-22-2016, 01:44 PM
Ok - so it doesn't override the blue inputs, but all others? As well as anything in layers panel?

RebelHill
04-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Why not just multiply the colour map value by occlusion before feeding into the material colour input?