PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 and Panther?

MacDaddyKash
12-11-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm planning on getting a G5 soon and was wondering if I should run panther and put down the bucks for LW 8, or keep my money and run Jaguar with Lw 7.5. I already have Panther and I love it(except for the LW problems), so if LW 8 is compatible I would probably upgrade from 7.5. If not, I'll have to go back to Jaguar. Thanks.

MacDaddyKash
12-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Also, I heard somewhere that running the G5 on multi-threading(using both processors) makes it go slower. Is that true? And... when is LW 8 coming out. So many questions. Thanks in advance.

Beamtracer
12-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Newtek has already stated that Lightwave 8 will run on Panther. All those LW7.5 incompatibilities with Panther have been fixed with Lightwave 8.

Originally posted by MacDaddyKash
I heard somewhere that running the G5 on multi-threading(using both processors) makes it go slower. Is that true?
I've tested many scenes on the G5, and they all run about twice as fast with multithreading on. Usually 4 or 8 threads is best.

Originally posted by MacDaddyKash
And... when is LW 8 coming out. Million dollar question. Earlier in the year Newtek said "Q4 2003". Well, Q4 is almost over, so it must be running late.

So... get your G5. If you run LW7.5, then use OS 10.2.7 or 10.2.8. When you receive Lightwave 8, then switch to Panther.

MacDaddyKash
12-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Thanks so much.:D

meanlebh
12-12-2003, 02:51 PM
I am also running a 2.0dp G5...and the multithreading issue only occurs with certain scenes....the first scene that I tested did in fact run slower with more than one thread turned on (I think the problem was probably with the hypervoxels that I was using), but since then I have had very good luck with multithreading turned on. The best thing to do is to just render out a couple of test frames before you render the whole animation and test it on different threading values to achieve the best times. But I would highly reccomend the G5, it is an awesome machine (even without panther, which I have yet to recieve yet).

RhymeSayersMN
12-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Just a little heads up.

Appleinsider reports that they now have corroborating infomration that Apple will be updating their PowerMac line at MacWorld San Francisco 2004.
The best information available to the rumor site indicates that the new models will come in at 2.0Ghz, 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz configurations. Previous notes, however, had indicated that IBM was producing chips as fast as 2.6GHz at this time. Other expectations remain the same with the use of 90nm PowerPCs, 533MHz DDR II RAM, a faster system bus (up to 1.5GHz).

Maybe you know that, just didn't want you to buy one to soon. It's all over at Macrumors.com