PDA

View Full Version : Annoying posters-Ignore function

prometheus
04-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Recently a forum member took the trouble of posting me personally to enlighten me that he though my postings in his threads was too obsessive, and he felt like I was stalking him...that was obviously annoying for him, but he could take the time and write to me personally and bother me with commenting on it, and what I tried to do was helping him out...personally I found it offensive the way he told me to stop posting in His thread, like he owned the forum or something..if not that, he could at least learn how to put forward such request in a thanks for trying to help me out, I give you that..but please do not post so obsessive..makes me wonder how folks communicate in such bad manners.

The user Is able to use the ignore options in his settings, and if he still would like to read other threads or post by me, just log in as guest.

I wouldnīt mind him saying directly in the thread, please post a bit less or something than personally communicate the messages in such disrespectful ways.
This forum user is a very active user complaining about a lot of lack of documentation and how lw works, sure that is all fine and dandy to further help out on what could be better...personally I think he is over obsessive in His ways of reacting to every little thing...should I write to him personally and ask him to stop his obsessive post...after all it is annoying me, me and me...and probably a whole lot of more guys.

please folks, try and be respectful when communicating, is that so hard? if someone honestly think I am out to stalk them in the threads, when I was spending time in checking out the posters scenefiles and help out..that is a tragic and doesnīt bodes well for the future communication with other people from such a guy.

Michael

MichaelT
04-16-2016, 12:20 PM
People are different, and behave in as many ways as there are people. Unfortunately some just tend to rub each other the wrong way, for one reason or another. Some are just very easily offended, and some of those lack the ability to get over it. etc.. so whenever I come across that situation, I try to avoid answering that persons post. I usually also make a last post explaining the situation, so that person knows. Personally I never stay angry with a person for a long time, it is usually a thing of the past in less than an hour. But that is me of course.. so if there have been a disagreement with someone (like with the situation you just described) I leave it up to them to offer the first branch. I am not angry at that point most likely anyway. (And just for clarity, I wasn't involved in that situation Michael described :) )

All that said though.. I think communication is very important. If someone is offended by something, it is always good to explain why. Because we are all different people, come from different countries, cultures etc.. There is literally a minefield of opportunities to get offended. Communicating why, will help all of us how to relate to each other, and avoid offending another person. Because I think none of us, really intend to.

My two cents anyway :)

prometheus
04-16-2016, 12:34 PM
People are different, and behave is as many ways as there are people. Unfortunately some just tend to rub each other the wrong way, for one reason or another. Some are just very easily offended, and some of those lack the ability to get over it. etc.. so whenever I come across that situation, I try to avoid answering that persons post. I usually also make a last post explaining the situation, so that person knows. Personally I never stay angry with a person for a long time, it is usually a thing of the past in less than an hour. But that is me of course.. so if there have been a disagreement with someone (like with the situation you just described) I leave it up to them to offer the first branch. I am not angry at that point most likely anyway. (And just for clarity, I wasn't involved in that situation Michael described :) )

All that said though.. I think communication is very important. If someone is offended by something, it is always good to explain why. Because we are all different people, come from different countries, cultures etc.. There is literally a minefield of opportunities to get offended. Communicating why, will help all of us how to relate to each other, and avoid offending another person. Because I think none of us, really intend to.

My two cents anyway :)

True..some people donīt think much how it sounds when they are trying to forward the message, or simply donīt care about being courteous.
To me it is no rocket sience, you can say please stop posting so obsessively or you can say...thanks for trying to help out..but can you try and not post so frequently....and if someone is having a hard time grasping how another user is checking and helping out on the scenefiles..even if it may not have been what he wanted...That person have some serious trouble of recognizing other peoples effort ..trying to help out.

And yeah...You are not involved in this at all MichaelT :)
out of still some respect of the user in question, I removed a comment on the thread..and I am not directly pointing him out..but thatīs it.

No I am not easy to offend, but itīs also a matter of what it is about..some things can really wind me up fast like an angry hulk, but unlike you I can also be very long termed annoyed, but can be easy to get along again if someone apologise..or we get to understand how we reacted and saw the situation, everyone can make mistake..maybe this guy realised he could have put forward that in a better way..or he simply do not bother with it..who knows.

itīs one thing to argue about politics, religion, how things should be developed with lightwave etc..and getting to ones nervs, but in a case when you as a user tries to help out by spending a lot of time checking the issue, and get such ungrateful, disrespectful responds...and projects it to his mind that you are actually stalking him..not helping him, those kind of things pisses me off...itīs like spoiled brat whining when things donīt go his way.

Michael

Oedo 808
04-16-2016, 12:52 PM
What!? You've removed the juicy bits, it's like a gossip column without the gossip! ;D

I wouldn't sweat it, I don't know what it's all about and I only skim read but it seems if you're going to let morons annoy you, prepare to be annoyed much of the time, especially in this digital age.

prometheus
04-16-2016, 01:05 PM
What!? You've removed the juicy bits, it's like a gossip column without the gossip! ;D

I wouldn't sweat it, I don't know what it's all about and I only skim read but it seems if you're going to let morons annoy you, prepare to be annoyed much of the time, especially in this digital age.

I have yet to verify the user is a moron, I donīt like to call folks that, immature perhaps(in communicating with respect)..but I havenīt put him in that category yet..if and when I do, then it doesnīt affect me really, but the user could simply just have been frustrated over other things, then it carries over to his responses..so I take that in account...sure it did annoy me, so..sure I am venting it a bit, but I am not going to get depressed or hang on to it so long..I will sleep perfectly fine anyway, it raises a question on how much I am willing to help folks out on the forum in the future.. as I try to do, if what you get back is disrespect.
Either it is a common problem that folks have a hard time grasping my efforts to help or describe something due to lack of english or the way I present my thoughts on something.

yeah gossip..without the gossip, most likely the user has read this and knows..so he knows what I feel about it, and it may also serve as and advice to him, he can take it or flush it or whatever, same goes with the advice to other users...though I really havenīt encountered anyone like this, just maybe two guys before with disrespect, that was mostly becuase of confusing statements in some posts and politics, but not like this...and overall the forum is nice.

I wasnīt met with harassment our faul words, just what I mentioned about forwarding something with disrespect in the way he did after I tried to help out.

prometheus
04-16-2016, 01:46 PM
I must empathise. .I don't think a single user neither can or should dictate how often another user is allowed to post..We have forum rules..and Web moderators. .If I were annoyed of over obsessed post..I would either mentioning it respectfully ..courteous. .In the thread...or..Use the ignore option...that way works..but posting a private message lecturing about posting obsessively. ... not using the ignore function...ridiculous.

spherical
04-16-2016, 04:13 PM
but posting a private message lecturing about posting obsessively. ...

That's rich... One could even say ironic. :D

bobakabob
04-16-2016, 05:05 PM
How odd :oye:
Prometheus, Whoever this forum member is sadly doesn't value your enthusiasm, artistry and technical knowledge so it's their loss. Your evaluations and experiments with LW volumetrics are always valued and you've generously shared a lot of techniques over the years. I for one have greatly appreciated your critiques of work I've posted over the years. Don't let the burgers grind ye down.

Oedo 808
04-16-2016, 05:15 PM
That's rich... One could even say ironic. :D

He ought to be careful, it could actually be that there's some bromance in the air. :heart:

Well I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, although it can happen, sometimes you can give advice on a forum and then feel obliged to respond to further enquiries. Though in that case if someone called me obsessive I would call them an ungrateful ****. Perhaps you were obsessive and that fact simply passed me by, maybe at some point we'll get some examples and enjoy the drama.

http://i.imgur.com/s1psc2V.gif

prometheus
04-16-2016, 05:32 PM
He ought to be careful, it could actually be that there's some bromance in the air. :heart:

Well I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, although it can happen, sometimes you can give advice on a forum and then feel obliged to respond to further enquiries. Though in that case if someone called me obsessive I would call them an ungrateful ****. Perhaps you were obsessive and that fact simply passed me by, maybe at some point we'll get some examples and enjoy the drama.

Well that wast the very first reaction I got when reading his message (ungrateful ****. ) and I responded in saying it was ungrateful, obnoxius..but not much more than that.

It wasnīt any flamed debate or bad words really..in any actual thread, I can actually take that, itīs just the ungratefulness and disrespect by posting a private message lecturing and failing to see others that tries to help out instead of stalking..huh, so youldnīt find any inflamed thread out of the ordinary about it...except this thread maybe:9
Doesnīt matter if I was obsessive, it wasnīt to stalk him or whine him up, I posted a lot of mails in sequence perhaps..but to help, who is he to lecture how many posts you are allowed to..ridiculous.
Personally it just felt cowardless, perhaps he was trying to be gentle and therefore posted privatly instead of in the thread...but common, One can say that much better presented if you do that as I mentioned before.

How can one call another user obsessive? when you are actually trying to help out, clearly that is over my level of understanding, if such user started a thread seeking help on whatīs going..He should simply donīt bother if someone posts obsessive in that thread..or take actions based on what I adviced...set the damn Ignore button, or learn how to communicate with respect towards others.

It is ironic as spherical said, posting me a privat message to lecture me of not posting becuase he almost felt like being stalked..
also ironic how this user is one of the most frequently visible poster in terms of pointing out things not working as he expect it to be working in lightwave, or lacking in documentations...for me itīs with an absolutely ridiculous amount he does that...until now I havenīt pointed that out to him or anyone else, if he spent half the time that I do ..in actually helping others with issues that would be much more helpful to the community.

yeah... consequence and results..a certain amount of pointing out the user is presented by me.... for those with an itching scratch to know more..that isnīt hard to find out with my clues here, that is the bounce back of disrespecting people who tries to help, but I am not gonna make that my business or have that as a purpose, not gonna state it out publicly either who it was.

So beware guys, call me obsessive and stop posting ....:devil:One more time:D

prometheus
04-16-2016, 05:49 PM
How odd :oye:
Prometheus, Whoever this forum member is sadly doesn't value your enthusiasm, artistry and technical knowledge so it's their loss. Your evaluations and experiments with LW volumetrics are always valued and you've generously shared a lot of techniques over the years. I for one have greatly appreciated your critiques of work I've posted over the years. Don't let the burgers grind ye down.

Thanks...Glad to hear that...I hope to continue so, not gonna stop becuase one member fails to recognize that, though I am uncertain if this guy really understood how much I would react on it..maybe it wasnīt something he thought would be received that way....but for me it sounded obviously disrespectful.

prometheus
04-16-2016, 06:21 PM
sometimes venting can be a good thing, even if this reactional post seems "touchy for a minor thing" I wouldnīt say I am too sensitive like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzmLFEC014A

MonroePoteet
04-16-2016, 06:22 PM
Gosh! I wonder who THAT could be! :)

For me, your feedback is *always* welcome, prometheus.

mTp

prometheus
04-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Gosh! I wonder who THAT could be! :)

For me, your feedback is *always* welcome, prometheus.

mTp

I actually saw the user asking for a little help for a special effect recently, and I know I could provide quite a lot of help in that particular area, but...since I probably would be perceived as obsessive, I will stay out of that thread..so
itīs up to you guys to help him with that effect.

Michael

MonroePoteet
04-16-2016, 06:34 PM
I think I'll pass after the pinkmouse interlude in the "modeling challenge" thread. Ah, well. Hopefully, someday everyone will realize bullying doesn't work.

mTp

BokadCastle
04-16-2016, 06:40 PM
Prometheus, you could use an ironic eyeroll ( like this :rolleyes: ).

In my world, I'd just call him out in public - but that's me.

BokadCastle
04-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Actually, that's not the same eyeroll as he uses.
But my advice remains the same, make a public stand.

prometheus
04-16-2016, 07:22 PM
I think I'll pass after the pinkmouse interlude in the "modeling challenge" thread. Ah, well. Hopefully, someday everyone will realize bullying doesn't work.

Havenīt followed that one, must have missed out..and suddenly an urge of looking at it arised....strange.

mTp

Actually, that's not the same eyeroll as he uses.
But my advice remains the same, make a public stand.

Nah...not worth the energy since it doesnīt affect me more than a few hours or day of thinking of what kind of ungrateful egos there are here and there, it would only leave me hanging on to negative energy wasting for no particulary good reason than to cause him harm, I see no good coming out of that, though I perfectly understand If you or One would like to react like that...initially.

I think I will keep my cool as Bjorn Borg as opposed to Mcenroe :D You might find it strange.,.but I actually enjoyed and liked that tempered guy, just as Bjorn did.

The question Jerk..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0eqZKTjpk

What I have mentioned earlier about the poster I speak of, itsīs enough of public disgrace..it would be some kind of self indulgance in levelling out a forum user relation..where In such case I would degrade the other one in order to feel better about my self, I honestly do not need to go to such length, apart from that I donīt think it would be fitting to the forum rules, and I try to abide that.

This was just a marquee for him..a little venting for me, and a general suggestion for folks in General to be a bit careful on how they approach another, some donīt care..if itīs their loss or not, who knows?.and apart from that..just a suggestion to use ignore options if one would be annoyed with a poster that is posting too much on a thread..that is pretty simple.

spherical
04-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Good approach. Must be a Rude virus going around. My Ignore List is growing. Life is too short to suffer pompous, condescending, superior, rude, annoying and otherwise disrespectful conduct. It's the double-edged sword of the Internet. A valuable treasure of data at one's fingertips, but it allows individuals that one would never have encountered in one's life to invade and dump on you at the drop of a hat then go on their merry way. Sucks to be them I suppose. Wouldn't know and don't want to.

At any rate, I'm glad that you won't be stopping your sharing of methods and solutions. They are part of the Good Internet.

JonW
04-16-2016, 08:17 PM
There is plenty of information in the LW manuals if people put a bit of effort in to read them, & also watch the videos.

People in this forum are more then happy & go out of their way to help others who just couldn't be stuffed pulling their finger out.

There must be a few people who think that when they have a question that no one has ever had before or will ever have in the future the same or similar problem.

Detailed answers not only helps the original poster of a thread but all future user when they are searching the forum for answers.

In the physical world around where I live, people just walk or jog into you these days. They expect you to get out of their way. I have stopped doing that. I brace myself just in case & keep walking forward. When they run into me they hit a brick wall. I have no sympathy & keep walking & pretend they don't exist. Well they don't, do they!

BokadCastle
04-17-2016, 12:08 AM
When they run into me they hit a brick wall. I have no sympathy & keep walking & pretend they don't exist. Well they don't, do they!
So that was you the other day.
Well all I'm sayin' is you better watch yerself mate - right? right?

m.d.
04-17-2016, 12:52 AM
Hi everyone....
Trying to take a model duck, currently in T-Pose and turn him in the pure energy representation of the band ABBA...

Right now I am stuck on the duck part.

Anyone have a preset for this?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

pinkmouse
04-17-2016, 01:24 AM

mTp

What me? I'm the same helpful, friendly person I ever was. :D

bazsa73
04-17-2016, 03:09 AM
Let's bully!

Spinland
04-17-2016, 04:34 AM
Hi everyone....
Trying to take a model duck, currently in T-Pose and turn him in the pure energy representation of the band ABBA...

Right now I am stuck on the duck part.

Anyone have a preset for this?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bwah! Thanks for that morning guffaw—even if I nearly spit coffee. :D

prometheus
04-17-2016, 08:53 AM
Abba..Abba..Abba :)

and no..the ungreatful one has stayed out this thread so far, he donīt want to be obsessive nowadays it seems.

hrgiger
04-17-2016, 10:48 AM
I feel like you may be getting obsessive about all of this prometheus. Even stalkerish.

prometheus
04-17-2016, 12:01 PM
I feel like you may be getting obsessive about all of this prometheus. Even stalkerish.

:ohmy:

50one
04-17-2016, 01:38 PM
I once got blocked by cresshead because I asked why did he crate another thread with same content.
Some people are different, gotta accept this and move on.

As I'm getting older i move away from being online more and mor every year.

bazsa73
04-17-2016, 01:51 PM
I'm so drunk that I can't reflect properly to this thread. ROB! DO SOMEthING!

spherical
04-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Add a Fresnel shader or Shlick's Approximation node.

prometheus
04-17-2016, 07:13 PM
I once got blocked by cresshead because I asked why did he crate another thread with same content.
Some people are different, gotta accept this and move on.

As I'm getting older i move away from being online more and mor every year.

50one...itīs a lot about how you say it and how that later is perceived., especially considering we write it ..without tone.

I can say..starting preferably by name, Michael...you are posting a lot (exclude obsessive) in this thread I started..could you please consider not post too much in sequnce..and explain why.
or you can say..stop posting so obsessivly in this thread.

and I have no clue on how it sounded when you posted to cresshead, you could ask...please be careful and try and avoid posting the same content in two threads..always help with small please ..consider, or I would advice..have you thought about this...instead of straight on comments, that often might feel like dictations or lecturing from someone else, maybe you did ask very polite?

Michael

lightscape
04-17-2016, 08:50 PM
Even stalkerish.

So prom is a slalker :D
The stalkee is a bit ocd and could drink less coffee. They have a lot of coffee there.

djwaterman
04-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Simply reply back to the poster's message and leave it at that? Why do we have to know about this?

Oedo 808
04-18-2016, 01:02 AM
Simply reply back to the poster's message and leave it at that? Why do we have to know about this?

It's a message to not be a plum, we need to know about it for context, and also this:

erikals
04-18-2016, 01:42 AM
you're not obsessive Prom.

you're not obsessive before you hit 16,000 posts...

prometheus
04-18-2016, 07:11 AM

Dj waterman..please look at it this way, Do you want me to help out with problems you might have that I potentially could help you with and do you want me to share my knowledge? or donīt you care about that?, thus it is important to make a note that neither none or I should be disrespected if such opened sharing is to work, and you may ask...do I disrespect this user by posting this? publicly..

if one beaves in bad manner, you should try and fix that to earn respect, if it is a user that generally mostly ask questions and complains and combines that by showing disrespect to others who tries to help..you loose respect, you can alll guess who he is... and it sure makes a public note in a better way in terms of that you donīt slap folks on the hands just like that, at least .in a different way than just a private message, which I believe wouldnīt make a difference.
Everyone can make a mistake..I as well as he can, and everyone can apologize for it.

And waterman..I did make a note of this so it is generally a good note..isnīt it, and I did in fact suggested people to use the Ignore options...a general suggestion as well as a post to this user, since I do not wanīt to post him privately or stalk him as I he felt.

I could just call it a day and close my activities in the forums thanks to ungrateful, disrespecful users...since I rarely ask much about questions on how to solve things myself.

As to why everyone needs to know apart from that..well that is mentioned through the posts already.
I really donīt want more inbox mail telling me how to post..so I am glad you posted your thoughts on that here, instead of privatly dj waterma, posts asking me for help is fine with, me but telling me how to
behave just make me wanna open the toilet seat and vomit.

prometheus
04-18-2016, 07:18 AM
you're not obsessive Prom.

you're not obsessive before you hit 16,000 posts...

yeah...you are one obsessive poster, but a valid one..you answer questions and do help files in ridiculous amount, in a good way :)

50one
04-18-2016, 09:33 AM
50one...itīs a lot about how you say it and how that later is perceived., especially considering we write it ..without tone.

I can say..starting preferably by name, Michael...you are posting a lot (exclude obsessive) in this thread I started..could you please consider not post too much in sequnce..and explain why.
or you can say..stop posting so obsessivly in this thread.

and I have no clue on how it sounded when you posted to cresshead, you could ask...please be careful and try and avoid posting the same content in two threads..always help with small please ..consider, or I would advice..have you thought about this...instead of straight on comments, that often might feel like dictations or lecturing from someone else, maybe you did ask very polite?

Michael

As you're saying it's hard to convey the tone through letters and god forbid you forgot a smiley at the end of sentence and bam! Before you know it, you're a dick lol.
It's life I guess.

Don't worry about such things, there are other things you should be worried about rather than bunch of frustrated or not, grown-up lads acting juvenile and calling people names for whatever reason.
The whole fact that you have created this thread indicates the other way, so here's my advice:

http://media.giphy.com/media/rM6scK327auEU/giphy.gif

All the best and fight the good fight,
Simon

prometheus
04-18-2016, 09:44 AM
As you're saying it's hard to convey the tone through letters and god forbid you forgot a smiley at the end of sentence and bam! Before you know it, you're a dick lol.
It's life I guess.

Don't worry about such things, there are other things you should be worried about rather than bunch of frustrated or not, grown-up lads acting juvenile and calling people names for whatever reason.
The whole fact that you have created this thread indicates the other way, so here's my advice:

Simon

No I am not saying youré a dick..but I am saying as you said, it is hard to convey the tone..it helps to avoid confusing and be more clear if the message is especially serious, that doesnīt neccessarly mean youré a dick, you could also be of the opposite genital.
There is different birds you know, it depends on message..previous discussions etc.

Thankīs 50 one for the advice of not worrying...thatīs not a Real life shaking problem though.. you can call our swedish hockeyplayers bad etc on forums youtube etc..they can call them loosers and me retarderd etc, I donīt care about that really....even if I have responded in the same way in that digital kindergarten, Itīs a complete different thing when you invest in time and knowledge to ungrateful people, and they fail to appreciate it in ways of turning it back in negative way.....that pisses me off a lot really, but not crying or going sleepless or sad..considering there are way more problems in the world, that doesnīt mean I would find it useless to comment on.

So you donīt have to worry about me worrying..again, itīs adifferent bird..and itīs not about worrying, itīs about the motivation I and others have to help out...thereīs a limit for that if you are disrespected, I am sure many folks would agree, some may in the past have resignated and simply have quitted visiting or posting in this forum already perhaps of such things..so yes I would say it is a good general note to make this statement, or it might be that folks simply start avoid the forums.,and as result ...a lesser attractive helpful forum.

- - - Updated - - -

gee..I forgot a smiley for you, but I couldnīt find anyone representing a dick, so you have to take this:D your are a scottish laddie, if you can eat haggis..then Im sure you can swallow that

bazsa73
04-22-2016, 01:19 AM

Simon
I love that gif dude!

BokadCastle
04-22-2016, 01:40 AM
yeah, I'm an annoying poster...

spherical
04-22-2016, 02:36 AM
An understatement. WTF?

BokadCastle
04-22-2016, 02:43 AM
spherical?
spherical, I don't remember you for much or anything really.
who are you again?

spherical
04-22-2016, 02:51 AM
Ummm. Huh? Well, my Ignore List just got longer. Life is too short to suffer persons who don't have enough scruples to be even remotely appropriate in a public forum. Wow. Haven't actually seen anything you've ever said that is of value, so.... Bzzzzt!

BokadCastle
04-22-2016, 02:57 AM
Such sparkling repartee - "Good"?

BokadCastle
04-22-2016, 03:09 AM
Gosh...well to me invoking the ignore option is simply cowardice.

BokadCastle
04-22-2016, 04:32 AM
Um...just realised that spherical is 'La Femme'.
my fault for swinging the dick.

SBowie
04-22-2016, 06:14 AM
Thread closed for the simple reason that it is accumulating too much completely worthless drivel, and it is not worth anyone's time to monitor. We return you now to your regular conversations.