PDA

View Full Version : can I trust the lscript docs?

hrgiger
12-11-2003, 12:06 PM
I'm going through the lscript docs that I downloaded off of Newtek's site. Is everything in there current enough? Anything I should be aware of?
I've got the docs, the ref manual, and the 2.6 updates.

Dodgy
12-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Mostly it's a lot of stuff missing which I've seen used in Lscripts (like multidimensional arrays) but aren't documented in the pdfs. Most annoying. The Pdfs could do with an overhaul, though they are better than the HTML manual. That lists all the sections in alphabetical order and isn't indexed nearly enough, so it's really tricky to find anything.

fxnut
12-15-2003, 04:20 AM
Yep, there's a huge amount missing!

You need to get all the update HTML files that include all the information on the new commands, changes in behaviour, bug fixes, etc.

Unfortunately (err.. rediculously), there doesn't seem to be anywhere you can obtain all of the update documentation. The majority of it comes with the 7.5 installation (in the online docs directory), but you'll have trouble finding the 2.5 update info. The only place I've been able to get my hands on it is using Google cache!

If you have any problems, contact me via my website and I'll email you any docs you're missing.

Regards

Andy

zander
12-15-2003, 10:57 PM
The docs are about the worst thing I have read - poorly written, hard to locate info, not enough examples.

I'd recommend printing out all the docs (user manual, reference manual, and 2.6 addendum.) When you find something useful, stick a post-it on the page (because, chances are, you won't be able to find it ever again otherwise...) Also, be sure to browse through the code for the Lscripts that ship with Lightwave. I've learned more from them then from the manuals...

I wish someone would setup a Wiki or something. Or just decent online docs with examples...