PDA

View Full Version : Dropbox Integration

Schwyhart
04-15-2016, 09:54 AM
First, would saving the .lwo off of Dropbox slow down Lightwave? Like does Lightwave cache the file while its opened, or is it pulling from Dropbox constantly?
Second, would Dropbox integration be something other users would like? Meaning, we could open Dropbox through the Lightwave interface. I'm sure there are other benefits of having it built into Lightwave, but I'm not a developer, so I can't tell you what that would be.

Schwyhart
04-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Just started the Dev app on my Dropbox account. You have to name your app and 'LW_test' is already taken. Maybe someone has already done this?

04-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Why does it need to be a part of lw's system when you can make your dropbox area just like a folder on your computer?
As well, why exclude all the other dropbox systems out there?

With the apps that create folders on your local box synced to your cloud folder, what benefits could come from a directly-connected-to-internet-folder addon for LW?

Schwyhart
04-15-2016, 11:15 AM
I don't know. Just thinking it'd make it slightly easier.
But what about my first question?

04-15-2016, 01:02 PM
LW loads the object into memory. The lag would be in the loading of the file based on the speed of the download.

However, based on what I've seen in using a dropbox system, if the file is synced it is saved locally. To that end, it is not being read off the net.

That's what's bewildering me and I suppose it's best to ask: have you made a way to interface with the net to load an object into LW? At this time, can't say I am aware of a way to do so.

In general, if speed and efficiency are important, it is best to download it to a local device.

spherical
04-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Online storage is essentially an off-site backup. Yes, there is the possibility of multiple users accessing the file, but then you are opening a Pandora's box of versioning. I'm not seeing an overall benefit of trying to work with a dependence upon an off-site storage. Especially if working in Isolation mode, Layout would be pulling the data constantly. Just seems to create a lot of unnecessary latency overhead.

lightscape
04-17-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm using Btsync to link all the files from pc to pc.
That includes the lightwave config files which gets updated whenever.

Spinland
04-18-2016, 05:32 AM
I use DropBox extensively in my LW pipeline, but there are several caveats to that process.

First, as Robert points out, the files are actually local to each connected computer once they have been fully synchronized; you're working with a local copy in every case. I keep all of my active projects in DP so I can get to them when I'm out of the Studio using my laptop. That's the good part.

The bad? As spherical points out, if there are multiple users access and version control is essentially out the window. I'm a one man show so for me it's not an issue but in a team environment it'd be a nightmare.

Also, there are other areas where DB style access doesn't work. Take distributed rendering, for example: if your system relies on lock files to control and allocate resources it will instantly become hopelessly out of sync because of sync lag. I know this from a failed experiment or two with LWSN and DreamLight.

In general, simply mounting a remote work drive is already fully supported and I don't see any particular value added in some sort of DB-style direct integration (not to mention the already-stated question about the other similar services, such as the ones from Google and Apple).

Just my zwei Pfennigs Wert.