PDA

View Full Version : Export to Houdini?

Karner
04-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Hello All,

I have found it impossible to export anything from LW 2015.3 to Houdini using FBX, DAE, ABC. (Anything)

Particularly, the camera. If you have a working way to do this, please share, and explain the specific steps, I've spent DAYS without success.

Thanks,
John

prometheus
04-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Hello All,

I have found it impossible to export anything from LW 2015.3 to Houdini using FBX, DAE, ABC. (Anything)

Particularly, the camera. If you have a working way to do this, please share, and explain the specific steps, I've spent DAYS without success.

Thanks,
John

Obj format should work...but that is only object based, for advanced tools, not sure.

erikals
04-14-2016, 11:21 PM
strange, i was sure Fbx should've worked, no? hmm...

dulo
04-15-2016, 03:27 AM
strange .. I am using FBX on a regular basis and if you bake all keyframes camera works fine ..

Reco
04-15-2016, 04:13 AM
I am using fbx as well. The scenes imports correctly with animation and materials.
The camera is there with the correct animation, but the view is not correct. It seems like it's miles away.
My solution is to move the Lightwave camera out to the object level. Then I create a new Houdini camera node and parent it to the Lightwave camera.
Then I set up the Houdini Camera with the LW camera settings. It's done in seconds.
A bit more work if you have animated the focal length or/and depth of field.

Reco

Reco
04-15-2016, 04:46 AM
Well. I solved the camera issue.
The imported values under View/Screen Window size, are identical to screen resolution. Make sure it is set to 1;1

Reco

Karner
04-15-2016, 02:14 PM
So I'm trying to export a baked camera using FBX, (binary 200611? Anything other than that?) The LWS scene is 120 frames long, and importing into Houdini the animation doesn't come in and the scene defaults to 5 frames long? So that's a complete mystery to me. Any thoughts to that?

Karner
04-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Additionally, this is how I would export just the camera from LW. If the camera is already baked, do I need to use the FBX baking process? I've tried both ways with the same non working results, regardless.

Karner
04-15-2016, 02:48 PM
Oy.....Checking animation would help. RECO ,the Screen Window size was a huge help!